The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   is the weeping method achievable on my offset? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109432)

PaddyKC 06-22-2011 10:45 PM

is the weeping method achievable on my offset?

I have readed alot of conflicting info about trying the weeping method on a backyard pit. Some say you can and other say you need a high dollar Pro-pit to make them weep. I can for sure maintain 275 or 300 or whatever need be. I can damper my pit at the end if I need too.

What the word on this?

Boshizzle 06-22-2011 10:50 PM

A cooler might do just as well. You just need to keep heat in the meat.

PaddyKC 06-22-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1683410)
A cooler might do just as well. You just need to keep heat in the meat.

Ok so, once they are weeping and cracking, pull'em and put the ribs in a cooler? For how long in general?

Boshizzle 06-22-2011 10:58 PM

I'd probaly let them rest at least two hours wrapped in foil.

Pitmaster T 06-22-2011 10:59 PM

Can someone explain to me just what is the "weep method?"

Boshizzle 06-22-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster T (Post 1683418)
Can someone explain to me just what is the "weep method?"

It was some half a•••• cooking method devised by some dead guy named Barbecuefunkarama or something like that. :-P

PaddyKC 06-22-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1683419)
It was some half a•••• cooking method devised by some dead guy named Barbecuefunkarama or something like that. :-P

Good one Bo!

Pitmaster T 06-22-2011 11:11 PM

Well here's what I think. The less ribs you are cooking at a time the harder it is. On large scales it works well due to a few factors... the retainment of moisture and heat from the other ribs is one factor --- the inefficency of the actual apparatus you cook on is actually a benefit to an extent. HOWEVER - the more insulated the gear and the success goes up, the heat and moisture retainment taking the place of the mounds of meat.

On your set up follow the rules, when your ribs are about to weep, make sure you have very little unignited fuel left - this does not mean to let the fire go out but just be sure you stir the fire and make sure there is no black charcoal or wood. Then, when the ribs are fully weeping as shown in the video, damper it down... even the stacks and let it ride down in temp for a while without opening it. How long, I cannot tell you because my setup is different from yours.

Another thing, when you glance and confirm the weep is occurring, wait a few minutes before you damper because you want to be dampering from an operating temp (the one you had before you opened it) not an opening temp (which is MUCH lower).

PaddyKC 06-22-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1683416)
I'd probaly let them rest at least two hours wrapped in foil.

I'm going to give it a go this weekend! Boshizzle it may make some of the more uptight brethren freakout to hear you say "wrap in foil"! Too funny

Boshizzle 06-22-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyKC (Post 1683424)
I'm going to give it a go this weekend! Boshizzle it may make some of the more uptight brethren freakout to hear you say "wrap in foil"! Too funny

Pitmaster T knows what he is talking about on this subject, so I defer to him. but as far as "freaking out the brethren" I'm used to it. Don't even get me started on Wegmans AJ. :-D

PaddyKC 06-22-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster T (Post 1683421)
Well here's what I think. The less ribs you are cooking at a time the harder it is. On large scales it works well due to a few factors... the retainment of moisture and heat from the other ribs is one factor --- the inefficency of the actual apparatus you cook on is actually a benefit to an extent. HOWEVER - the more insulated the gear and the success goes up, the heat and moisture retainment taking the place of the mounds of meat.

On your set up follow the rules, when your ribs are about to weep, make sure you have very little unignited fuel left - this does not mean to let the fire go out but just be sure you stir the fire and make sure there is no black charcoal or wood. Then, when the ribs are fully weeping as shown in the video, damper it down... even the stacks and let it ride down in temp for a while without opening it. How long, I cannot tell you because my setup is different from yours.

Another thing, when you glance and confirm the weep is occurring, wait a few minutes before you damper because you want to be dampering from an operating temp (the one you had before you opened it) not an opening temp (which is MUCH lower).

Thanks for all the info, do you think a pan of water in the smoke chamber by the firebox side would be beneficial?

PaddyKC 06-23-2011 01:40 PM

Pan O' water in the smoke chamber next to the firebox? Good idea or no dice?

CarolinaQue 06-23-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyKC (Post 1684073)
Pan O' water in the smoke chamber next to the firebox? Good idea or no dice?

Yes!!!

Pitmaster T 06-23-2011 03:06 PM

Yes!!!

PaddyKC 06-23-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitmaster T (Post 1684199)
Yes!!!

Word!