The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Looking for some "Signature Sides" (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60478)

tony76248 04-21-2009 08:56 AM

Looking for some "Signature Sides"

I have been looking for some new signature sides for my catering jobs. I currently do a cheesy tater dish and a baked bean dish (very similar to kerri's). I have no plans of halting these dishes, but would like to add to them.

I have tried roasted red taters with herbs, but they always shrink up and get less appealing to the eye. Then there is a squash casserole which not everyone likes.

I am thinking in the way of corn and blackbean salsa, something fresh and zesty....

My only thoughts are.... it has got to be a big hit... It has also got to be prep friendly and cost effective for catering. I know of a bunch of great sides but they do not happily meet these requirements. So simple yet delicious is a must!

Any good ideas will be appreciated.

Chuckwagonbbqco 04-21-2009 09:53 AM

Texas Caviar---basically cooked and chilled black eyed peas with salsa

Jicama and carrot salad

asparagus tips with tequilla hollandaise

Ashmont 04-21-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco (Post 907543)
Texas Caviar---basically cooked and chilled black eyed peas with salsa

Jicama and carrot salad

asparagus tips with tequilla hollandaise

If kids BBQ Sundae Pork in beans with pp on top woth slaw on top of that with a pickel spear where the spoon would be in a cup

big brother smoke 04-21-2009 10:56 AM

Pineapple coleslaw, I stole it from Big Mista!:biggrin:
grilled corn coblets with thyme and butta

Cabntmkr1 04-21-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 907641)
Pineapple coleslaw, I stole it from Big Mista!:biggrin:
grilled corn coblets with thyme and butta

Pineapple Coleslaw is the cat's pajamas!:-D

yelonutz 04-21-2009 12:19 PM

To a hot cast iron pan, add chopped bacon. About the size of postage stamps. Render it down then add chopped onions and bell peppers. When the onions start to get translucent, throw in a bag of frozen corn kernels. When corn starts to brown ever so slightly, pour in some heavy whipping cream, stir and serve as soon as the cream get hot.

NUTZ

CrazyChef 04-21-2009 02:27 PM

Fried cabbage. Yum!

TN_BBQ 04-21-2009 03:46 PM

Garlic & butter cabbage (the whole head).

Folks will love it when you toss a great big head of cabbage at em.

Core out the bottom of the cabbage & put in a couple cloves of garlic and some seasoned butter. Wrap in foil (optional, but advisable) and bake/smoke/grill.

barbefunkoramaque 04-21-2009 04:02 PM

Your too close and I am on my way back. Big Mista has all my secrets anyway... I will have him dealt with if he returns to Texas though.

barbefunkoramaque 04-21-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashmont (Post 907552)
If kids BBQ Sundae Pork in beans with pp on top woth slaw on top of that with a pickel spear where the spoon would be in a cup

LOL I have that DVD too!

timzcardz 04-21-2009 04:17 PM

Crown cut grilled tomatoes seaoned with olive oil and oregano and finshed with whole milk mozarella.

http://www.cal-lector.com/Brethren/2...2PrimeRib5.jpg

CajunSmoker 04-21-2009 05:17 PM

This is always a hit with my folks.

Chuckwagon corn

1 can regular corn
1 can cream style corn
1 package of Jiffy cornbread mix
1 stick of butter
8 ounces of sour cream
1/4 cup of milk

Drain the regular corn. Melt the butter. Combine all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well. Grease a glass baking dish (8 x 11 or 9 x 13) and add the mixture to it. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes or until the top begins to split and brown just a bit.

I have a good tater salad recipe too, but it ain't exactly prep friendly:rolleyes:

StrikeEagle 04-21-2009 06:07 PM

Grilled Southwestern Corn Cobetts -Buttered corn on the cob sprinkled with a mixture of California Chili Powder, Cumin, Ground Mexican Oregano and Salt.

As an alternative, you can set up a 'corn cob bar' with a selection of sprinkles for the corn. (Southwestern, Italian Seasoning mixed w/Garlic Salt, Cajun Seasoning w/ a touch of fine grain salt, Regular Season Salt, Kosher Salt n Cracked Black Pepper, etc.) I use plain restaurant shaker cans for this set up.

Tortellini Pesto Salad. -A cold salad with Cheese Tortellini and Basil Pesto tossed with shredded Parmesan cheese. This is a HUGE fave of my clients in spring and summer.

Smokin Mike 04-21-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 907907)
Your too close and I am on my way back. Big Mista has all my secrets anyway... I will have him dealt with if he returns to Texas though.

are you serious, you won't give something out because,,,,, he's to close to you. :twisted:

I just farkin with you,,, waiting for the call to you, from the bag phone.:icon_shy

Marsha 04-21-2009 09:39 PM

I make a killer veggie pasta salad that has become a popular choice when we cater. It has almost as many veggies as pasta.