The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   UDS Prob (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45900)

Dick Danger 07-13-2008 03:06 PM

UDS Prob

Two hours ago my uds was cruising along at 250 with a butt going. While we were out our lawn guy showed up and his leaf blower plugged up my intake. When I checked on the butt it was at 120 and the fire was out. I just got the fire going again. Any thoughts on what I should do with the butt, finish or toss? I don't want to make anyone sick.

Dr_KY 07-13-2008 04:20 PM

Fire the lawn guy.

Beerwolf 07-13-2008 04:41 PM

Why would you have a lawn guy who worked Sundays anyhow?

CajunSmoker 07-13-2008 04:44 PM

It'll be fine. Either fire the UDS back up or finish it in the oven.

And never fire anyone who works on Sunday, they obviously need the job:!:

Dick Danger 07-14-2008 12:41 AM

The lawn guy just shows up whenever he can. I finished the butt on the uds and it tasted ok, and so far there's no gastrointestinal distress so all is good.

91vw03 07-14-2008 01:05 PM

You should be good.

The rule is not betwen 40 and 140 for longer than 4 hours. So if 2 hours ago it was at 230 then you restart the fire you should have been O.K.

RawBacon 07-15-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 685257)
Why would you have a lawn guy who worked Sundays anyhow?

Because he's the guy who knows how to take care of his business.

Think about it. The lawn guy has to cut 8 to 10 hours a day for 4 or 5 days a week to make a fair living. I keep a regular mowing rotation of 12 hour days 4 days a week trying to keep ahead of all the rain in the midwest. When we get rain 3 or 4 days a week I get stuck at your house cutting your lawn on sunday. I don't get to make any good dinner for myself or visit my friends, but your lawn looks good and you know you can count on me being there next week too.

Nicely tell your lawn guy what happened ( I'm sure he had no idea) so he can take extra care nextime, he values you as a customer and he will be sorry he caused you a problem.

Rob

parrothead 07-15-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawBacon (Post 686968)
Because he's the guy who knows how to take care of his business.

Think about it. The lawn guy has to cut 8 to 10 hours a day for 4 or 5 days a week to make a fair living. I keep a regular mowing rotation of 12 hour days 4 days a week trying to keep ahead of all the rain in the midwest. When we get rain 3 or 4 days a week I get stuck at your house cutting your lawn on sunday. I don't get to make any good dinner for myself or visit my friends, but your lawn looks good and you know you can count on me being there next week too.

Nicely tell your lawn guy what happened ( I'm sure he had no idea) so he can take extra care nextime, he values you as a customer and he will be sorry he caused you a problem.

Rob

Sounds like some real words of wisdom to me.

Barbarian 07-28-2008 08:28 PM

Well said RB. I gotta friend in that biz in KC and I know he works whenever he has to to get the job done.

Beerwolf 08-01-2008 09:16 AM

Glad to hear that there are some honest people out here still taking care of yards... we have nothing but "Mow Blow and Go" operations here that are screwing senior citizens for around 100 bucks a month for about 10 minutes work. These guys have no reguard for the trenches they leave in wet soil or any willingness to do anything involving weed control or keeping the clippings out of the flower beds, where they become harborage for rodents

kitch 08-13-2008 11:11 AM

I'm wondering how hot it would be inside the USD in the hot NV desert even when not fired up.

Higher than 140??

Dr_KY 08-13-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitch (Post 710935)
I'm wondering how hot it would be inside the USD in the hot NV desert even when not fired up.

Higher than 140??

Hummm less fuel mod?:wink:

Dick Danger 08-24-2008 02:14 AM

Never paid much attention to the temps before I started the fire. I usually use 10 or so briqs to start the lump. Any more than that and the fire gets way too hot in a hurry.

LeckembyBrosCustoms 05-25-2009 05:29 PM

wow a uds in the desert that would be tricky