Another UDS Build With Pics

savageford

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first build. My brother and I decided to get two drums and go for it. Please have a look and comments are appreciated.

open head drum (new unlined)
1" NPT Inlet
new weber grill
and a lot of trips to HD
3 weber racks (one was from grill)

Total cost $350 give or take :shocked:

I know I could have done it cheaper if I had sourced my parts better and taken more time but I wanted it done and that's what it cost me.

I think I messed up on the ash pan it's only 16" we will have to wait and see.

The only thing left to do now is disassemble it, burn it, and paint it.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

882093_4452707357671_1970003898_o.jpg

885184_4452704557601_385835432_o.jpg

What do you find is the advantage of building the UDS and then disassembling it prior to burning out and painting it?

Looks good! Love the help too..great getting the kids interested.
yes by all means get the kids into it .. they are the next generation of q,ers. there is nobody warming up in the bull pin . Nice pics . want to bild me one

After I burn it my thoughts were that with the risers and handles off, it will be easier to clean and prep the barrel for paint.

The intent of my question was to ask why not burn it out before you build it. Seems like duplicate work.

Got one going as I type. Built a Mini-UDS yesterday, burned it today, scrubed it w/ soap and water and seasoning it right now. Got a pastrami all rubbed up in the fridge for tomorrow. Good luck with yours!
100_4275.jpg

100_4276.jpg

Got one going as I type. Built a Mini-UDS yesterday, burned it today, scrubed it w/ soap and water and seasoning it right now. Got a pastrami all rubbed up in the fridge for tomorrow. Good luck with yours!
100_4275.jpg

100_4276.jpg

Cool, building this has been a lot of fun. I hope to get it done tomorrow. I think a mini is in order for me too. Good luck with that pastrami and don't forget the pics.

I just got into this myself a little while ago, I'm addicted. When the weather finally breaks up here in the North, I'll give'em both a paint job. Thanks to this site for the mountains of info. Whomever invented the UDS, you should have a statue right in front of Obama.:-D

Budman, out of curiosity is that mini (which looks pretty to me) a 15 gallon drum? How tall is the barrel itself?

Back