The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic Grill (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96855)

Pyle's BBQ 04-23-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groux12345 (Post 2457894)
kengland,
Remove the top, and use a high temp silicone caulk around the inside. It will seal the top to the ceramic, preventing the leakage. Also, make sure your vent bolt is tight and somewhat difficult to move. Do not use JB Weld, as it may produce harmful gasses that will permeate your food.
Remove and seal the bottom draft door also, as you are probably getting to much air movement through the smoker. I use lump, and get a 20-24 hour burn out of a 15# bag.
Finally, you need indirect heat in a smoker, so a water pan used with or without liquid provides that. I use apple juice sometimes, or another fruit liquid, if I want. But a little water helps to keep the meat moist.

My only gripe with my cypress, is the thermometer is way off. I use a DigiQ and have seen the temp vary by as much as 50 degrees. I would recommend using one for any smoker, their not cheap, but to spend 18 hours on a cook and find out the hard way that the thermometer is no longer working properly will ruin your day.

Good luck.

Have you cleaned the probe for the thermometer? I have to clean mine to keep it working properly.

bbqbull 04-23-2013 02:17 PM

I recommend checking the thermometer by dipping the stem in boiling water too.

kengland 04-25-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groux12345 (Post 2457894)
kengland,
Remove the top, and use a high temp silicone caulk around the inside. It will seal the top to the ceramic, preventing the leakage. Also, make sure your vent bolt is tight and somewhat difficult to move. Do not use JB Weld, as it may produce harmful gasses that will permeate your food.
Remove and seal the bottom draft door also, as you are probably getting to much air movement through the smoker. I use lump, and get a 20-24 hour burn out of a 15# bag.
Finally, you need indirect heat in a smoker, so a water pan used with or without liquid provides that. I use apple juice sometimes, or another fruit liquid, if I want. But a little water helps to keep the meat moist.

My only gripe with my cypress, is the thermometer is way off. I use a DigiQ and have seen the temp vary by as much as 50 degrees. I would recommend using one for any smoker, their not cheap, but to spend 18 hours on a cook and find out the hard way that the thermometer is no longer working properly will ruin your day.

Good luck.

Groux,
Thanks. I called the company and they told me the same things regarding seals. I'll take care of that. Any suggestions for a high temp calk? Went to Home Depot and couldn't find anything.
Also, have you or anyone, had problems with the grill fitting on top of the reversible grill? My grill is too small to fit on top of it. I've tried bending the 2" pins on the reversible in a bit but snapped a weld. Company tells me it's a faulty design and they are no longer including the reversible in new models. Instead, they include two grills, one for the top of the fire bowl and the other for the top of the ceramic.
I've recently slow cooked a roast beef for 8hrs at 225. Over cooked :( User error. I do like the cooker though.

bbqsmolokom 11-09-2016 09:41 AM

I purchased a Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic Grill and used it some 25 times at low temps before the ceramic cracked completely through, during a use at well below its rated temperature. I contacted Bayou Classic about a replacement which they immediately denied. Their version of product support seems to be to provide a very limited warranty and to deny replacement claims based on whatever condition they can discover in order to do the minimum to support their obviously substandard product. They market their $800 ceramic grill as a less expensive version of the Big Green Egg, but neglect to address that their $800 product is of poor quality, with a very limited warranty, and marginal support from the manufacturer, while the BGE, at nearly twice the cost has a lifetime warranty with excellent product support. If you want something cheap, buy a cheap tin smoker and replace it every year. If you want something of quality buy a Big Green Egg or a Primo ceramic grill. The Bayou Classic ceramic grill seems to be the worst of both, it's both expensive and poor quality. Bayou Classic continues to sell this product on their website, even though it has been discontinued, a detail which they do not feel they should notify their customers.