The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's smoke'in (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38498)

Que'inKC 02-29-2008 11:35 PM

What's smoke'in

Well I decided to start my brisket tonight and do an overnighter...I've got some family coming over tomorrow and they are hungry for Brisket...Wish me luck on my maiden voyage of my new BWS....Stay tuned...pron to follow!

CrimsonSmoke 02-29-2008 11:36 PM

good luck bro don't forget pics

txschutte 02-29-2008 11:36 PM

I'll hang with ya for a bit! I love overnighters. Can PM chat.

Nitrofly 03-01-2008 02:39 AM

I'm sure you will do fine
I love cooking brisket on a WSM

Good luck :cool:

DaChief 03-01-2008 04:01 AM

So how is the overnighter going? Haven't heard anything.

fnnm358 03-01-2008 06:21 AM

ok all these overnighters and no updates I think everyone fell a sleep

lets see some pics

KC_Bobby 03-01-2008 07:08 AM

If he's not up by now, he better check the water.

pat 03-01-2008 07:58 AM

Update on the brisket please!?!?

Que'inKC 03-01-2008 08:29 AM

Brisket is going good...I pulled it off at 7:45am CST int temp @195 passed probe tender test..Resting in cooler now...

Cook when really well I think for my first time...The BWS ran really well, it took a lot more tending too than I figured it would...I need to get the hang of the vents, it really doesn't take much air on these thangs, but surprisingly it went through the coal...

I filled it up 3 times during the night (about every 4 hours using RO Lump)...I filled the water pan up once, but it never ran dry...

I didn't sleep much and I am really tired, but all in all it was a good cook...I decided to through a splatched (sp) chicken on because I had lots of good coals left over..

butts a fire 03-01-2008 09:27 AM

Glad to hear the first cook went well. Can't wait to see some pics of the brisket.

BobBrisket 03-01-2008 09:47 AM

Good to hear it went well. Rest up for the party.

BBQ_MAFIA 03-01-2008 09:54 AM

Are we going to see any pics of the first cook?

Plowboy 03-01-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Que'inKC (Post 576122)
Brisket is going good...I pulled it off at 7:45am CST int temp @195 passed probe tender test..Resting in cooler now...

Cook when really well I think for my first time...The BWS ran really well, it took a lot more tending too than I figured it would...I need to get the hang of the vents, it really doesn't take much air on these thangs, but surprisingly it went through the coal...

I filled it up 3 times during the night (about every 4 hours using RO Lump)...I filled the water pan up once, but it never ran dry...

I didn't sleep much and I am really tired, but all in all it was a good cook...I decided to through a splatched (sp) chicken on because I had lots of good coals left over..

Spatchcock Chicken

Doing a brisket as the first cook on a new cooker is quite brave. Congratulations! Sounds like it went perfectly.

I wonder if the guys here have a way for you to get more sleep and run more than 4 hours on a load of lump. Maybe more air and fewer lit coals. Maybe drop a handful of lit coals in the center and let it spread out. Dunno. Not familiar with the BW. Makes me appreciate my Egg, though. A load of lump can go more than 24 hours.

You don't really care about the lack of sleep when you are playing with a new toy, eh?

KC_Bobby 03-01-2008 10:47 AM

It's a learning curve, it will get better. Did you have a fire going rather than a burn?

I started my Backwoods at 5:30 this morning and I'm still 1/2 full of coal using a mix of about 50/50 Wicked Good and Rancher. I'm surprised he went through that much coal and water.

Que'inKC 03-01-2008 12:15 PM

I'm surprised as well...I was hopping for a better burn, but like you said it's probably a learning curve...