Where and how to buy your spare ribs?

McEvoy AZ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I competed yesterday and got a ninth call on my ribs. My cook was on point as well as my flavor. It just happened that the GC who did better then me was next to me and after turn ins we traded ribs for each of us to try. In my opinion my taste and tenderness was at least as good as his, I liked mine better, with one exception. His we're meatier. I buy my ribs at Resteraunt Depot, but maybe I just don't know yet how to pick the ribs out. Please help me as I think with this mystery solved maybe I could really compete in the rib category.

I get mine from RD too and like them a lot. Many others get them from Costco or SAMs or local grocery store and all can win. It. Also depends on the judges table you hit so your 9th could have been even better than his with different judges (or they could have scored lower too). You might not need to change anything. What have been your previous rib scores?

Rick, you also need to keep in mind that you did not eat his turned in ribs so who knows what those were like. You had a good day yesterday and you're improving every time out. It will come. By the way, we use RD trimmed St Loius.

Scott there ribs were great and in judging them I know the judges should have given them the higher score no doubt. I do think the quality of meat they picked out was the biggest differance as far as what i sampled. When I pick out my ribs I am always looking to see if I have any shiners and that I find the straitest bones possible. I also look for marbled fat content although just can't say you really can tell a big difference at RD from rib to rib. Maybe I need to focus on thickest possible ribs as well.

The last 3 pack I got from RD was 3 racks all different sizes almost like it was packaged that way on purpose. The first time I bought them from RD it wasn't that way. The I just buy the wrong thing the last time?

You two could have switched tables and you'd may have beat him.. don't let his ribs get in your head.

One thing you might want to consider - if you liked yours better, then you can trust your tastebuds for 9th place ribs. To get to first place ribs, maybe you shouldn't depend on your own preference?

Just a thought. Podge could be right.

Back