The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   General cooking knives (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154899)

pal251 02-27-2013 02:50 PM

General cooking knives

I'm getting tired of my sub part cooking knives that I have.... Today it was tough to cut up a measly onion. It's really farking me off, hehe

I am looking at the Victorinox cooking knives and they seem to be pretty decent.

Any recommendations on a general purpose knife, cleaver and paring knife along with a knife block or are knife blocks no good?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-27-2013 02:57 PM

Victorinox 8" Chef's w/fibrox handle is an very good all purpose knife. Their 12" Granton Slicer with fibrox handle is excellent for slicing brisket. I also have their Santoku, 4" boning and paring knives. They are a lot of knife for the money in my opinion.

A magnetic strip holder is much cheaper than a block, but a block is good.

samfsu 02-27-2013 02:57 PM

I have a Victorinox 10" Chef and 12" Slicer. Love them both and do 90% or cutting with either. Excellent value for the money.

samfsu 02-27-2013 02:58 PM

Oh and I have a block but if you are going to just have a few knives, I am with Jim. Just buy a magnetic strip.

Offthehook 02-27-2013 03:01 PM

What are you working with? Even my crappy knives stay sharp when I need them.

buccaneer 02-27-2013 03:03 PM

Use the search feature top right.
Many threads on knives are there, with loads of information!

landarc 02-27-2013 03:04 PM

I like the Victorinox or Dexter-Russel Sani-safe knives for good, economical general use knives. I prefer a block although it does eat up counter space. For a paring knife, I have a nice little Wusthof. But, my sister got into the habit of using the Forschner/Victorinox paring knives when she was working at a fishery and they are pretty sharp and cheap.

pal251 02-27-2013 03:04 PM

I would like to toss these other knives like these crappy ginsus...yes I said Ginsu. Also we have some Cutco knives that my wife doesnt want to get rid of.

I think getting a 10 inch chef and maybe a 8 inch chef might not be a bad idea. I am looking at them on Amazon. Any reccomendations on a knife steel?

Is there a place online that I can ship my knives to get them sharpened at or is that usually a local only gig.

Ron_L 02-27-2013 03:04 PM

You really need to go to a knife shop or kitchen store and see what feels right in your hand. A $100 knife that fits your hand perfectly is better than a $500 knife that doesn't feel right.

Ron_L 02-27-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2386222)

Actually, he would have to use the Google search capability near the bottom of the page that is available to everyone.

Motley Q 02-27-2013 03:10 PM

The only knife

Henckels

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-27-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2386222)

The top right requires that you have a subscription to this forum which I see that you don't. ---- yet.:becky:

However, you can use the site specific google search at the bottom of the page in the meantime.

buccaneer 02-27-2013 03:11 PM

Oops, sorry:oops:

Join!
It is so worth it for knife info, cooking info and whackadoodlery!

Offthehook 02-27-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motley Q (Post 2386236)
The only knife

Henckels

I stay away from Henkels IMO, I don't love the blade shape and I have found better for the price.

landarc 02-27-2013 03:13 PM

I prefer smooth steels for cleaning up an edge. For sharpening, most folks should take it to a local sharpener. If you want to learn, there are both high dollar sharpening systems and simple stones. Many folks who use the Victorinox knives find the pull through sharpeners you can buy at the hardware store to be just fine.