The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Insurance for Comp Trailer? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129244)

trohrs123 03-27-2012 01:14 PM

Insurance for Comp Trailer?

Hi
anyone have any recommendations for company that might offer affordable insurance for my new comp trailer?
Geico wanted over $8000.00 per year to insure the Honda and trailer under a commercial policy. The commercial policy is the only way for them to insure the trailer,,even though it is used for hobby not commercial purposes.
any help out there?
Tim

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/a...aielrsnow3.jpg

dmprantz 03-27-2012 01:21 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=129157

Long story short, State Farm and Liberty Mutual were mentioned, but it appears to vary by state. For your trailer, you may have better luck trying to insure it as an RV or towed motor home that just happens to have a grill on it.

Southern Touch BBQ 03-27-2012 01:36 PM

trailer insurance

I live in GA and have had insurance with State Farm for years. They wouldn't insure my trailer because it had a smoker mounted on it. I do believe that the trailer is covered by you homeowners insurance while at home and covered by your vehicle insurance while on the road.

ribsrdone 03-27-2012 01:47 PM

insurance

It does vary by state, but in most states a trailer used for hobbies (non business) would be covered by your homeowners or renters policy. It is,and the contents of the trailer, are considered your personal property. This limit is clearly indicated on your declarations page (usually under coverage C). It is covered any where in the country as long as your homeowner policy is in force at the time of a loss. If the trailer were to come off while in transport, any resulting damage to other peoples property or injuries to people would be covered under your automobile insurance liability coverage. This applies to most states, except the states that have no-fault insurance laws. Hope this helps.

kihrer 03-27-2012 07:37 PM

My State Farm agent called me again today and said that he finally got confirmation that I am covered for liability in case my trailer causes damage. However, I am not covered in the event my trailer/smoker is damaged. He goes on to say like if someone took a baseball bat to my smoker and damaged it. I thought to myself that better be one tough baseball bat!

va92bronco 03-28-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribsrdone (Post 1994399)
It does vary by state, but in most states a trailer used for hobbies (non business) would be covered by your homeowners or renters policy. It is,and the contents of the trailer, are considered your personal property. This limit is clearly indicated on your declarations page (usually under coverage C). It is covered any where in the country as long as your homeowner policy is in force at the time of a loss. If the trailer were to come off while in transport, any resulting damage to other peoples property or injuries to people would be covered under your automobile insurance liability coverage. This applies to most states, except the states that have no-fault insurance laws. Hope this helps.

X2

Check your homeowners policy as much of the personal property in the trailer is covered for most things. There are some exclusions and limits though, but you can often get them raised for a increase in premium.

trohrs123 03-28-2012 11:32 AM

State Farm just cancelled our policy, as well as many neighbors, as we are now in a "flood zone". Last year we weren't in a flood zone but i guess after a re drawing we are. So first I have to find a company that will give me a homeowners policy and then check about the trailer.

Smokin' Joe 03-28-2012 01:45 PM

I have my extreme BBQ trailer insured through state farm as a travel trailer

Smokin' Gnome BBQ 03-28-2012 02:09 PM

I have Erie and it cost me an extra $40.00 per year but that covers the contents as well. They kinda tried to talk me out of it saying..if its in the driveway its covered by homeowners and if its attached to the truck its auto...I had to explain that it may end up unattached in a field or lot some were at a competition, they kinda got it at that point.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ 03-28-2012 02:27 PM

I've got my trailer and everything in it covered with state farm. I can't remember the exact amount but it's under $500 a year.

trohrs123 03-28-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe (Post 1995467)
I have my extreme BBQ trailer insured through state farm as a travel trailer

Got a quote from Progressive on "travel trailer"...$310 a year...much better than $8000
Thanks!!!

stan 03-28-2012 08:52 PM

Foremost Insurance Company! I was able to ensure mine as an endorsement on my Farmers auto policy....

RoadHawgBBQ 03-28-2012 09:36 PM

the trailer is covered as long as it is attached to ur vehicle... i had my trailer insured for content after i gave the insurance my vin number... it isnt listed under commercial just a liability and coverage

caseydog 03-28-2012 09:54 PM

I tow a trailer regularly, and with Allstate, as long as my trailer is hooked to my Insured tow vehicle, I am covered for liability, but not for the value of the trailer. I am fine with that.

Now, if you are running a catering business from your trailer, you are looking at business insurance. That is a totally different animal.

My own business insurance as a freelance photographer only runs me about 500 bucks a year. If you are selling food, it will probably be higher, but 8-grand a year sounds pretty steep.

I suggest you split this all out. Your truck insurance on it's own, the trailer insurance on it's own, if you feel you need it -- and get business insurance for your comp "business."

A good insurance agent should be able to work this all out.

If you got a quote for 8,000 bucks, you were talking to someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

BTW, business insurance is cheap, and you should get it.

CD

BBQ Bandit 03-28-2012 10:31 PM

Wait until the Federal Highway Safety Administration have their way... enforcing existing laws with BBQ enclosed trailers.

The difficulty lies with the combination of trailer weight plus the BBQ comp circuit.
Have spent days talking with the Federal authorities... finding the unhappy facts.

Technically: Any truck/trailer over 10,000 lbs combined weight is subject to Federal highway statutes... whether it be a horse trailer or BBQ trailer (trying to win ribbons or monetary prizes).

If the vehicle/trailer weight is between 10,000 and 26,000 lbs. and not hauling for someone else;
a) Would be classified as a Commercial private (Not For Hire) driver... hauling your own private property... period. A private citizen is not a valid answer...I've been told that.
b.) Would be subject to DOT number registry (Interstate/Intrastate)
c.) a DOT physical card is required for any truck/trailer combo over 10,000 lbs.
d.) A CDL is not required under 26,000 lbs.
e.) Safety equipment and safety/log books need to be maintained.
f.) Commercial insurance is not an option.
g.) Weigh stations are not an option.

So technically; the authorities could make things a bit sticky and ugly if someone is pulled over... Federal fines are a messy proposition.

It can happen... and did happen to people I know.