Thoughts on Foiling Butts

OneHump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I really enjoy experimenting, and rarely repeat a process. I read a recent thread about foiling and some posters who I really respect suggested that they don't foil their meat. This is a common debate, and it seems that good results are had on both sides.

What I like about the idea of not foiling is bark formation. It makes sense that bark is going to be better if you're not braising the meat. I have always foiled my butts because that is what I learned to do.

I made a couple of butts last weekend and decided not to foil them. A huge advantage of this was being able to put them on at 10:30 PM and go to bed. The bark, as expected, looked amazing, but I was surprised by the overall results.

While the bark was substantial, it was a little bit much. I like bark as much as anyone else, but I had some really big and hard bark chunks that were difficult to break apart and not all that pleasant in a sandwich.

I was also surprised to find that the bark smelled a bit burnt. My temp averaged 225F and didn't spike, as indicated by my StokerLog. The color of the bark was very dark when compared to bark foiled at 165F. Rubbing my finger across the bark and tasting it, I got a less than pleasant essence of char instead of a savory/sweet rub. I used two different rubs on these butts: SM Spicy Apple and SM Cherry.

The biggest change was with the moisture of the meat. I have never had a dry butt, but both of these butts were dry. One had a substantial fat cap and the other was trimmed. Both were boneless and of very high quality.

Now, on their own, these changes were less than optimal but, after pulling, I did have a good overall result. I had a lot of people over and they all raved about the pork.

The question I'm left with is this: Is it better to foil when considering bark protection/burning and meat moisture? All who don't foil will probably say that their butts are perfect, and they probably are, but could they be even better if they foiled? I wish I knew the answer to that. Either way, my stake is firmly planted in the foiling camp at this point.

Oh, I'm also now in the "trim the fat cap" camp as well. The capped butt was nowhere near as good as the trimmed butt as it had no ring on the capped side and lost its rub/bark.

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

Yep. That's why i foil. I know others dont, and that's certainly their choice, and they're happy with their results. I/we foil because:

1. Moisture retention. We compete and we cook for ourselves. For competitions especially it needs to be as moist as possible.

2. Bark (appearance as well as taste). Need it to be more reddish brown (described as a mahogany) than towards the black. Also the
blacker the bark the more bitter the taste.

3. Whole shoulder must be great; not just pieces. When we compete it's more likely to be MBN; judges will be right there in our campsite.
The shoulder must be perfect in every way, not just a few select pieces. Also, we can't separate the money muscle from it. None
of the hard bark / outside stuff is acceptable. None.

We get less loss due to burn, or over-smoke, or dryness, etc.

I'm not saying others dont get great results without having to foil. We dont.

I have never foiled a butt, and have had pretty good results. I think I will next time though, you have me curious now.

I tried butts both ways. I prefer not to foil as I do not like the mushy bark. I sometimes inject the butts. Flavor wise, the injection helps get the flavor deep into the meat. Moisture wise, I do not find much difference. I feel butts have enough fat that it will help retain moisture.

Just my preference.
I do foil chuckies and briskets.

I trim the fat cap, inject with AJ/worcestershire/rub, cook with no foil until 190F, wrap in foil and cooler until serving time. Cooler time is where any tough bark is softened up imho:thumb:

I have only foiled once when the butt got stuck in the stall and I had people coming over..... I foiled it to get though the stall then removed the foil. It came out good.

Yeah... I foil. Though I HAVE had success in not foiling but basting every 45 minutes. The basted butt (hey... new team name?) wasn't significantly better than the foiled one and since it was a LOT more work (and I'm essentially a lazy a$$) I stick with foiling.

I should point out that I injected 2c of injection per butt, and they were both still dry. Again, not a bad result at all, just not as good as my foiled butts.

I don't foil and I've never injected a butt. I do use a water pan though to create a moist environment. I also like to use a mop but that's more for layering of flavor than moisture.

I don't foil or inject but my pork doesn't come out dry. I baste it every time I add wood though. I also let it rest for at least half an hour. I know if you cut/pull meat too soon the natural juices tend to run out too quickly and the meat seems dry. Resting allows them to redistribute through the meat.

I like to foil in a pan after 4-5 hours of smoke so I can keep some of that tasty pig juice...I skim off the fat and use it in my bbq sauce.

I had never foiled my butts before. Last weekend I decided to try it. I foiled at about 170 and continued to cook in the foil until 190. I removed it from the cooker and wrapped it and put in a cooler for 2-1/2 hours. It was the juiciest butt to date. Now, I will say that I have never let one rest for 2-1/2 hrs so maybe that helped with the redistribution of the juices, I don't know. Could be a combination of the foil and longer resting time. I think I will continue to do both (foil and not foil) as the mood strikes. At some point I may develop a preference. Isn't that what makes BBQ so much fun???

I foil only if necessary, ie bark is getting to dark. But always unwrap and give it 20-30 back on the smoker to dry it out a little bit, after that it's wrapped in red butchers paper and coolered, well cambro-ed

I do to speed things up and keep the bark from being too black/crusty.

I like this thread. I've wondered the same thing in recent butt smokes.

When I started out a couple of summers ago, I always foiled about 1/2 way through or when the bark was JUST starting to darken. Loved em.

Then over the last year, I started just letting them go, but basted/spritzed them. Loved that too. Nice bark, moisture, etc.

In the two most recent butt smokes, I just let them go and didn't spritz, didn't baste, only flipped once about 1/2 way through. Actually ended up with the prettiest mahagony bark color I've ever had, but the meat seemed dryer. Different rub on these last 2 though, and they were picnics, not butts.

Here I thought I was figuring out it was just impossible to NOT book a great shoulder and it turns out I just need to keep practicing.

......SHUCKS!:becky:

Didn't really answer any questions I know.....but I'll keep reading the other replies.

hey, total rookie here and headed to my first KCBS in May, so this was helpful.. I've been taught that more than 4 hours will put a bitter taste into the bark, so in my practice sessions, I always foil and it comes out very tender... I am also planning on re-barking for 30 minutes before pulling to box... we'll see how it all turns out, but thanks for all the input.

I've been taught that more than 4 hours will put a bitter taste into the bark

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of misinformation out there. More than 4 hours of smoke WILL NOT make your bark bitter. Who in the heck taught you that? Let me guess...someone who had no "real" clue as to what they are doing. The type of smoke you are getting might make for a bitter taste, but what you have been taught is a complete fallacy. You can cook a brisket for 20-24 hours in the proper smoke and it will not be bitter. To be honest, I've never smoked anything I consider bitter...to include 12-14 hour butts. :crazy:

Foiling will indeed yield moist meat...the moisture has no where to go. It ends up being steamed and steamed food tends to be inherently moist. But exactly how much moisture is enough? I won't argue the use of foil...just that it isn't necessary to have moist, flavorful bbq.

Very interesting to say the least. :thumb:

What do you guys think about having a water pan in the smoker vs no water pan?

I smoked some ribs the other day without a water in my waterpan (used foil balls instead) and the ribs turned out a bit dry... thoughts?

Also I have only foiled ONCE and it was to speed things along for an earlier than expected dinner. The ribs I foiled were the most moist I had ever had, BUT I also glazed the ribs for the first time so I am not sure what to think o_O

Back