The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pork in the park (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155075)

jerry 03-01-2013 06:32 PM

Pork in the park

My name is Jerry Elliott, and I’m writing as a follow-up to my post from earlier this week. Knowing that there is always 2 sides to every story, I have since sought out the other side. I have to say that my mindset has now shifted. I mentioned earlier that I was the one who approached the County 10 years ago with the idea for Pork in the Park. Since then, I’ve watched it grow to become a world-class event. I for one would like to see it continue to grow. So let’s not tarnish the future. Instead, let’s come together, moving forward to play our role in making this event a success. This year’s festival promises to be just as strong, if not stronger then years past. So I’ll be at Pork in the Park this year, but I won’t be protesting. Instead, I’ll be embracing the competition and having a good time – just like I always do

Yleekyoti 03-02-2013 05:22 AM

You cooking or just hanging out?

jerry 03-02-2013 06:00 AM

just hanging out to see old friends and hope to meet new ones

trohrs123 03-02-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry (Post 2389426)
My name is Jerry Elliott, and I’m writing as a follow-up to my post from earlier this week. Knowing that there is always 2 sides to every story, I have since sought out the other side. I have to say that my mindset has now shifted. I mentioned earlier that I was the one who approached the County 10 years ago with the idea for Pork in the Park. Since then, I’ve watched it grow to become a world-class event. I for one would like to see it continue to grow. So let’s not tarnish the future. Instead, let’s come together, moving forward to play our role in making this event a success. This year’s festival promises to be just as strong, if not stronger then years past. So I’ll be at Pork in the Park this year, but I won’t be protesting. Instead, I’ll be embracing the competition and having a good time – just like I always do

Any chance you want to share the other side of the story?

zombie barbecue2 03-02-2013 03:16 PM

please elaborate on the original post and other side of the story.

kenthanson 03-02-2013 04:20 PM

This

Quote:

Originally Posted by trohrs123 (Post 2380863)
I'm not sure if Samdy wants us to intervene in some manner, but I would agree with you that she wants her side of the story out there. With that being said :

I have been putting off writing this email for some time now but I guess I finally have to write it.
Let me start from the beginning. Last May 18 th I fell and broke my left hip and arm. Had surgery the next day to replace the hip. Recovery was going well and I was to return to work by mid July. After a couple of weeks the pain got worse and I found out that I had also broken my pelvis. I returned to the hospital to have it repaired and after 3 more surgeries the Dr. said he could not repair it and sent me by ambulance to the Sinai Hospital in Baltimore, the Rubin Institute for Joint replacement. This was my fifth major surgery. They rebuilt my hip and pelvis. After a week in the hospital I went to a rehab here in Salisbury for two weeks. Started therapy when I came home. Dr. said it could be two years before I would be 100%. The County could not let me return as Tourism Manager so I had no choice but to retire. I was so upset, I was so depressed I loved my job. But I think what upset me the most was having to give up Pork in the Park. At my retirement party my boss, Gary Mackes, I know some of you have met him, announced that I would still be doing Pork in the Park. I was happy at that announcement. I just couldn't bear not doing it and not being with all of you again this year. In December my assistant, Steve Miller called me to go over Pork in the Park and how we were going to handle it. They wanted me to have no contact with the judges or competitors prior to the event. They just wanted me to work the two days of the event. I said I need to be available for these guys before the event and they said no I couldn't do that. Now I know it wasn't Steve saying this but he is being told to make me this offer. I wasn't happy with it after what Gary said at the retirement party. I told Steve to put it in writing and send it to me. That never happened. The next thing I heard he and my former Secretary were going to a contest in Florida to learn how to organize a competition. I think I could have done that.
Well I know now that they are not planning to have me involved at all. I have no idea why. I have not heard from Gary or Steve.
I am physically able to do it. I am recuperating well. Am walking now with a cane. So that is not excuse they can use If I am not there non of the crew I used to help me at turn in, judges, meat inspecting will be there either.
I would never desert that event it is my baby. So whatever they tell you about why I am not there I wanted you to know the truth from me.
You now will have my new email address and can stay touch. I want to come out during the Festival to see all of you though. Please know how sorry I am that they don't want me to be involved. I miss all of you.
Fondly, Sandy Fulton

From this
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...=154454&page=2

Yleekyoti 03-03-2013 10:35 AM

Yea... I'm guessing your not going to hear the " other " side of this story.

jerry 03-03-2013 11:03 AM

Pork in the park

Maybe I should clarify what I was trying to say, but evidently not very well. I did not mean to say there was a right or wrong side. Pork in the Park could not be the success it is today without all the efforts of Sandy Fulton and Wicomico County. Unfortunately Sandy fell and broke her hip so she cannot continue in the position she was in. I just want Pork in the Park to continue to grow and continue to be the success it has in the past.
JERRY ELLIOTT

trohrs123 03-03-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry (Post 2391610)
Maybe I should clarify what I was trying to say, but evidently not very well. I did not mean to say there was a right or wrong side. Pork in the Park could not be the success it is today without all the efforts of Sandy Fulton and Wicomico County. Unfortunately Sandy fell and broke her hip so she cannot continue in the position she was in. I just want Pork in the Park to continue to grow and continue to be the success it has in the past.
JERRY ELLIOTT

I'm not sure anyone here said there was a right or wrong side but you did say, in an earlier post " I have since sought out the other side. I have to say that my mindset has now shifted."
So I guess since we only have Sandy's side do you want to share what you learned?

Iamarealbigdog 03-04-2013 10:33 AM

We all love Sandy in that roll; that is not in question. She will be missed and there will be some very big shoes to fill.

I do not have any of the facts or the "Other Side" however, has anybody considered what the legal responsibility for the event and the county would be if Sandy fell again or if she hurt herself during the set up and administration of the event.

In my experience, government HR departments are very serious of poetical liability, exposure and the role of employees and consultants. It is likely not Sandy that the problem generated from but the circumstances of her condition and her status as an employee.

Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. Address your concerns at the event yes but I do not think Sandy would what her baby boycotted due to her.

See every body there..

Mike