The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Some pron from weekend (or at least an attempt!) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104303)

LoveBBQ 04-11-2011 11:41 PM

Some pron from weekend (or at least an attempt!)

5 Attachment(s)
DISCLAIMER: I used a gas grill so if this is against everything you believe in and want to move on you may! :hand:

We were supposed to have some great weather this past weekend so I planned to have some BBQ. My mom was out of town so I picked up some stuff to have my dad over both days. Picked up some whole chickens and found some spare ribs on sale. The first night we made his awesome lemon garlic chicken. It goes something like this (sorry I don't have prep pics, I'll work on that).

whole chicken washed and patted dry
rub (still trying to get him to tell me everything that is in it)
fresh lemon and garlic

Clean the chicken and allow to dry
Cut up one lemon per chicken into slices
Cut up several cloves of garlic (sliced, no need to chop or mince here)
line the inside cavity of the chicken with some rub
gently squeeze in some lemon juice then throw slices in chicken (about 3-4)
Throw in some garlic slices
Add more lemon
add more garlic
add more lemon
Do the same to rest of the chickens, we did 2

Add to a spit and tie. Cover the outside in more rub. Tie up the legs and wings. At this point it should look like this.

Attachment 51740

Next, add some chips of your favorite wood to your smoke box (we used mesquite this time) and place on flavorizer bars. Bring grill up to temp (350F here). Add the spit to the grill and it should look like this:

Attachment 51741

Cook for about 2 hours depending on size of chickens. When done it should look like this:

Attachment 51742

These things taste amazing! I can't get enough. We ate one and the second is getting used for lunch for me this week and we used some of the breast tonight for quesadillas.

Sunday was time for the spare ribs. I've never done spare ribs before, only baby back. Here is how I did them for my first try.

4-5 lbs of spare ribs
some rub
brown sugar
apple cider vinegar
beer
sweet baby rays original
apple wood for smoking

started out trimming the ribs and washing.
add the rub to both sides, then add a generous amount of brown sugar to each side.
Place on a rack in a roasting pan
Poor some apple cider vinegar in the roasting pan along with your favorite beer (or in my case the one I just happen to have around as I don't drink much).
Get the grill up to temp (about 225-250) and the smoke box going on the flavorizer bars.
Place the roasting pan opposite the lit burner.
Cook until smoke fades, then cover with foil.
Cook for a couple more hours, I also basted the ribs with the juices from the roasting pan once.
Get some more apple chips ready for smoking and throw them on.
Raise the grill tempo up to around 300-350.
Once the smoke starts remove the ribs from the pan and place bone side up on the grill.
Add some sauce to the bone side, then flip after about 15-20 minutes.
At this point it should look like this:

Attachment 51743

Add more sauce to the rack and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Now it should look like this:

Attachment 51744

Remove and let rest, then cut and serve! These ribs had great flavor!!! And the texture from the last bit of cooking at higher temps works really well. Not my favorite sut of meat, but for $10 you couldn't ask for more (I don't mean seconds, cause we did go back for those! :-D ) I also got the last two ribs for lunch this week!

Hope you enjoyed, we did!

2ndchance 04-12-2011 09:36 AM

Looks good to me. NOW GO GET A REAL SMOKER OR KETTLE and you can take those same recipies to another whole new level.:becky::becky::becky:

BRBBQ 04-12-2011 10:16 AM

It looks great to me

Johnny_Crunch 04-12-2011 10:23 AM

Looks good from here. :thumb:

LoveBBQ 04-12-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndchance (Post 1607838)
Looks good to me. NOW GO GET A REAL SMOKER OR KETTLE and you can take those same recipies to another whole new level.:becky::becky::becky:

I'm acquiring parts for a UDS build so hopefully very soon I'll have a real smoker!
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBBQ (Post 1607873)
It looks great to me

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch (Post 1607885)
Looks good from here. :thumb:

Thanks!

Phubar 04-12-2011 12:08 PM

Great work!
Thanks for the post!

mcoupe 04-12-2011 12:11 PM

Great looking results!

Dustin D 04-12-2011 01:25 PM

Man those grills are CLEAN! lol

Oh, Nice looking chicken too :D

BBQ Bandit 04-12-2011 01:34 PM

Very nice prepwork... will provide the foundation for a rotisserie UDS nicely!

LoveBBQ 04-12-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phubar (Post 1607970)
Great work!
Thanks for the post!

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcoupe (Post 1607977)
Great looking results!

Thank you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin D (Post 1608024)
Man those grills are CLEAN! lol

Oh, Nice looking chicken too :D

Well, that is a new Weber E310, only a month old. Already cooked a couple of chuckies, a butt, a pork tenderloin, some burgers and dogs, and this stuff. Got to break her in! ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit (Post 1608035)
Very nice prepwork... will provide the foundation for a rotisserie UDS nicely!

Thanks!

Yeah I'm trying to decide if I want to try and incorporate the rotisserie on the first UDS build or get my hands dirty first. I want to make sure I follow the KISS method, but I love some rotisserie chicken! :thumb:

DesMar 04-13-2011 02:07 AM

A different way to do them, but still looks great. Get yourself a drum and you will be the talk of the neighborhood. Trust me!

Phrasty 04-13-2011 02:20 AM

Good looking food right there!! :clap:

Cheers

Hunterman95 04-13-2011 07:42 AM

looks great!

Grillman 04-13-2011 08:05 AM

It all looks great.....the only thing that matters is that you like the way the
food tastes.

MikeR 04-13-2011 08:24 AM

I'll take some- even if it is gassed.:-P

LoveBBQ 04-13-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesMar (Post 1608575)
A different way to do them, but still looks great. Get yourself a drum and you will be the talk of the neighborhood. Trust me!

Thank you. Drum coming soon!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrasty (Post 1608577)
Good looking food right there!! :clap:

Cheers

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunterman95 (Post 1608649)
looks great!

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grillman (Post 1608668)
It all looks great.....the only thing that matters is that you like the way the
food tastes.

I had the leftover ribs for lunch today. They were pretty darn good today too! :-D

El Ropo 04-13-2011 07:05 PM

Gas grill or not, those ribs look very nice! It's all about the person behind the wheel.