Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Tent Busted with Drugs at BBQ Fest
Updated: Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT

Lauren
Lee
Memphis, Tn - There was a major drug bust at Tom Lee Park this weekend.

Three members of Shotwell Smoker's were arrested after deputies found several back packs filled with drugs at Barbecue Fest. Investigators say the team is believed to be selling drugs out of their tent.

Barbecue Fest is known for its party almost as its known for its pork, and Memphis in May encourages the celebration.

"We don't do this just for the seriousness of the competition, we do it for the celebrating of Memphis," says Diane Hampton, President of Memphis in May. "So we expect people to have a good time. We also expect them to play by the rules."

But one team broke the rules this weekend.

Roy Hanes, Michael Happ, and James Innocenti were arrested on possession and distribution charges. Happ was also charged with possession of a fire arm while committing a felony. He had a loaded glock in the tent.

"One of the deputies walked in, smelled marijuana, asked permission to see of they could go inside the booth," says Steve Shular, spokesperson for the Shelby County Sheriff's Office. "They did and that's what led them to the discovery."

Deputies found nearly 100 prescription pills, including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone and other varieties. They found about 2 ounces of marijuana, a small amount of cocaine, drug paraphernalia, and nearly $6,000 in cash.

"Based on the large variety of drugs and the fact there was a large amount of cash that was also found on the person and a couple hundred found on another, the charges support there could have been some dealing and distributing going on there," says Shular.

Memphis in May officials and volunteers who worked directly with the team tell Fox13 no one had any idea what was going on at booth S-200.

"It's totally unacceptable, it's against our rules, team rules, it's against the rules for the public," says Hampton. "So obviously we're very disappointed the team would choose to behave this way."

Memphis in May plans to send a message that this behavior is not and will not be tolerated.

"This team had been very involved for several years in the competition," says Hampton. "And we really had not had any problems with them. Its safe to say this will be the last year they compete."

All three men bonded out of jail on bonds ranging from $30,000 to $50,000.

No other arrests were made during Barbecue Fest this weekend.

I guess that some competitor's secret ingredients are secret for a reason.

A little snort here, a little snort there, and who needs a BBQ Guru...you're able to stay up all night minding those pit temps!! :laugh::becky::laugh::becky:

sounds like a party, thats a bunch of hillbilly heroin!:shock:

dumbasses! everyone knows thats why you have the hookers there, the cops always bust them first....duh:becky:

I guess maybe I'm a prude, but I don't find this at all funny. The last thing I want to worry about is some crazed lunatic hillbilly who is hopped up on coke and carrying a gun. A lot of people bring their families, including young children and impressionable teens, to competitions. I like a good party just as much as anyone else, but this type of behavior is a safety threat to the public and the other teams.

I guess maybe I'm a prude, but I don't find this at all funny. The last thing I want to worry about is some crazed lunatic hillbilly who is hopped up on coke and carrying a gun. A lot of people bring their families, including young children and impressionable teens, to competitions. I like a good party just as much as anyone else, but this type of behavior is a safety threat to the public and the other teams.

I think its safe to say it doesn't have to be a hillbilly...

I agree with you, I don't find it funny either. It just puts a tarnish on the competition. Someone had to be buying the stuff. I am not saying other teams were, but it will be something people will not forget about. It ruins the good that we do in BBQ for other things and causes.

Well then i guess you havent cooked sayville:-D

The weapon in connection with everything else did make this a very serious issue for me.

Please don't think that me laughing at them or making a joke at their expense means I think that what they were doing is smart. I've never been to MIM but from what I know of its reputation it has that "Big Party" label plus some very intense big time comp BBQ, so I'm not really all that surprised there were guys like these there.

I don't want to have to worry about a crazed lunatic on with a gun either, no matter if he's been doing rails of coke or 6 packs of Shiner and when the cops tazer his dumbass and make that moron do the perp walk out of the comp, believe me I'm going to be the dude laughing at him.

Tent Busted with Drugs at BBQ Fest
Updated: Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT

Lauren
Lee
Memphis, Tn - There was a major drug bust at Tom Lee Park this weekend.

Three members of Shotwell Smoker's were arrested after deputies found several back packs filled with drugs at Barbecue Fest. Investigators say the team is believed to be selling drugs out of their tent.

Barbecue Fest is known for its party almost as its known for its pork, and Memphis in May encourages the celebration.

"We don't do this just for the seriousness of the competition, we do it for the celebrating of Memphis," says Diane Hampton, President of Memphis in May. "So we expect people to have a good time. We also expect them to play by the rules."

But one team broke the rules this weekend.

Roy Hanes, Michael Happ, and James Innocenti were arrested on possession and distribution charges. Happ was also charged with possession of a fire arm while committing a felony. He had a loaded glock in the tent.

"One of the deputies walked in, smelled marijuana, asked permission to see of they could go inside the booth," says Steve Shular, spokesperson for the Shelby County Sheriff's Office. "They did and that's what led them to the discovery."

Deputies found nearly 100 prescription pills, including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone and other varieties. They found about 2 ounces of marijuana, a small amount of cocaine, drug paraphernalia, and nearly $6,000 in cash.

"Based on the large variety of drugs and the fact there was a large amount of cash that was also found on the person and a couple hundred found on another, the charges support there could have been some dealing and distributing going on there," says Shular.

Memphis in May officials and volunteers who worked directly with the team tell Fox13 no one had any idea what was going on at booth S-200.

"It's totally unacceptable, it's against our rules, team rules, it's against the rules for the public," says Hampton. "So obviously we're very disappointed the team would choose to behave this way."

Memphis in May plans to send a message that this behavior is not and will not be tolerated.

"This team had been very involved for several years in the competition," says Hampton. "And we really had not had any problems with them. Its safe to say this will be the last year they compete."

All three men bonded out of jail on bonds ranging from $30,000 to $50,000.

No other arrests were made during Barbecue Fest this weekend.

This was more than just a team partying at an event.
With that much pills they would have been comatose had it been for personal use. :shock:

The loaded Glock in the tent is a bit much combined with all the pills too :tsk:

this thread is full of lightweight custies and squares...100 pills and 2ozs isnt a huge amount...certainly not 2 backpacks full. There were probably dozens of loaded handguns @ MIM this year.

this thread is full of lightweight custies and squares...100 pills and 2ozs isnt a huge amount...certainly not 2 backpacks full. There were probably dozens of loaded handguns @ MIM this year.

I agree with the loaded handgun statement, but not in connection with all the pills.

I am not sure I can hang partying with you though, if you think 100 pills ""including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone" isn't a huge amount for "personal use"

Back