The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which BBQ Guru Should I Get (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165464)

Cack 07-09-2013 01:11 PM

Which BBQ Guru Should I Get

I just got a WSM 18.5 for my birthday last week, so it's time to start the mods.

I'm wanting to get a Guru/climate control, but not sure which would be the best one for me.

Should I go with the Party Q or just splurg for the DX2? Of course the DX2 is probably "better", but is it so much better than it's worth the extra $$$?

PatAttack 07-09-2013 01:26 PM

Upstate, I wouldn't waste the money.

That WSM is basically a Ron Popeil machine once you get it seasoned. Set 'er and forget 'er. All I have with mine is a Maverick ET-732 so I can monitor temps without having to go outside when it's HTH. Save your $ and buy more meat!!

Your call though, Brother.

Cack 07-09-2013 01:27 PM

I wasn't going to get one any time soon that's for sure. The first cook was a quick 1 hour pork chops, but once they were done I just left it rolling to see how the temp would hold up and an hour and a half later it was sitting in the same spot.

kds9547 07-09-2013 01:29 PM

I have both. I have cooked with the DX2 many times and it is awesome. One of the best investments I have made for long cooks.

I recently purchased the Party for use when I don't have electricity or need to run another smoker (without the added cost of another DX2). That and I was curious to see how it worked. I have only used it a couple of times but it worked like a champ.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one but I like to plug in the DX2 and not have to worry about batteries.

yakdung 07-09-2013 01:53 PM

I own a DX2 and love it for overnight cooks.

DBH 07-09-2013 01:57 PM

DX2 for sure.

Smokin'Butts 07-09-2013 02:06 PM

Another vote for the DX2

PatAttack 07-09-2013 02:18 PM

Just remember, Upstate.

You don't need all those gadgets to cook good Q!:thumb:

scm1226 07-09-2013 02:24 PM

I already owned an igrill and a maverick. So I went with the Nanoq. I did that because it is cheaper then the digi q. And the parts can be used later if I decide to upgrade to a bigger guru set up.
Learn your pit first, don't get all fancy right now. You will cook good que. I also think its important to stay up all night and making sure everything is fine for a while. After you nail that yuncan upgrade to a auto temp.
Good luck.

Teamfour 07-09-2013 02:27 PM

On a WSM I don't think you need one. Having said that, I would definitely get the DX2 over the Party if buying a Guru. And don't let the electricity scare you off. I use two 6 volt lantern batteries wired in series to power my DX2 when no power is available. I have about 16 hours of cook time on the batteries and they are still going strong.

WineMaster 07-09-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamfour (Post 2545130)
On a WSM I don't think you need one. Having said that, I would definitely get the DX2 over the Party if buying a Guru. And don't let the electricity scare you off. I use two 6 volt lantern batteries wired in series to power my DX2 when no power is available. I have about 16 hours of cook time on the batteries and they are still going strong.

Have heard this works well. How do ya connect the batteries to the Guru.

Crimson 07-09-2013 03:23 PM

I sometimes use like a 18 amp small deep cycle battery with a converter to ac from radio shack clips on battery terminals or I have 6.8 rechargeable battery that plugs right in.

IamMadMan 07-09-2013 05:31 PM

I have the DigiQ2.... Works great as a tool and lets me sleep without worries..

When I am where I can't get electricity, I use 2) 12 volt 7 amp hour batteries directly to the power input...

kds9547 07-09-2013 06:10 PM

When I can't get electricity, I just pop the PartyQ in. Voila!!!

Teamfour 07-09-2013 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WineMaster (Post 2545172)
Have heard this works well. How do ya connect the batteries to the Guru.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v power jack, 2.5mm x 5.5mm. I soldered wires to it with alligator clips on the ends. Made a jumper with another piece of wire and alligator clips.

Clip the jumper to the pos lead on one batt and the negative on the other. Then hook the appropriate clip to the pos and neg to neg.