Onyx Oven Owners

sfisch

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used onyx oven and have done 3 different cooks on it and have a couple questions about its operation. If a few of you O.O. Owners could chime in here, I would like to PM you.
Thanks

I am interested in these also, curious how well it works and what questions you have also?

Watched the youtube video about starting the fire by putting a starter cube into the coal box, hooking the guru up and letting it come to temp. I only have a 4cfm fan and that method is taking 1.5-2 hrs to get the fire to 250. Once there, its great, holds right on and cooks away. Can you start briquettes in a chimney, add to the coal box to get the fire starting faster without it getting away on you?
Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks
Scott

Oh, and smoking with the stone in place of the water pan, any times when this is better and when shouldn't you use it?
Thanks

I start it with a lit chimney. Comes up to temp in about 10-15 minutes. More recently I've gotten a weed burner and I just torch it in a couple spots.

I got version one the first year they were produced and it didn't come with a stone. It did come with some build flaws which I hear they have addressed.

Good cooker at a premium price for portability.

Back