Fire extiguisher question for teams!!!!!!!

altomari8868

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the requied type or letter to identify the required fire extinguisher for a KCBS competition......
Thanks in advance..........

Here in PNWBA land (and the occasional KCBS event) the required fire extinguishers are a 2A40BC or 3A40BC purchased and or serviced within the last year (receipt and or proof of certification) with the needle in the Green zone showing a full charge.

Costco usually has them in stock @ $30 and a extinguisher service runs @ $7-12 around here.

The rules by which we must abide:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Please remember everyone, fire extinguishers are required at all PNWBA events, whether or not the local fire code for the event location requires them (pretty much they all do, though). Fire extinguishers MUST be rated (at a minimum) 2A40BC or 3A40BC.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Fire extinguishers MUST be current. By current we mean three things:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]1) Purchased within the last year with receipt proof of purchase[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]2) Serviced / certified within the last year with proof of service tag[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]3) Have the needle in the green on the gauge. Remember - just because it has been less than a year since the extinguisher was serviced / purchased, it still may be out of a charge.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Check your extinguisher before the season starts rolling. Get them purchased / serviced if needed! Remember - head judges will inspect your extinguisher at each event.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]******************** PLEASE NOTE FOR SEATTLE EVENTS **************** [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]The Fire Marshall has started checking our calendar to see what events are happening in the city. This means that the inspector WILL be at Home Depot this weekend. If you do not have a valid fire extinguisher and you are cooking this event, go into the store as soon as you get there AND BUY ONE! Better yet, buy it before you even arrive.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]We have been notified that if the inspector has to wait for you to acquire a valid extinguisher, the PNWBA WILL be fined! I can promise you that the board will pass the fine to the team(s) who incurred it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thank you for your cooperation.[/FONT]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Most of us cook PNWBA/KCBS so its not an issue (you would think?)

Some time ago, I had a 5lb Amerex extinguisher and the Seattle Fire Dept Inspector was impressed, but also let the Head Judge know I was not in compliance. Another team leant me an extra to pass muster.

The place I get mine inspected gives me an e-mail reminder when mine is due.

Wow! Glad I live in NJ. An ABC fire extinguisher is just fine. If the needle is in the green your good to go.

We've found requirements to be variable by venue, so check with your event's organizer. We're run across everything from very specific extinguisher requirements and full enforcement of clear zones around cookers, to "What? I didn't tell the fire marshal we'd be having any fires *wink wink*."

Back