The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   beef butchering advice needed (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72687)

mranum 11-15-2009 10:12 AM

beef butchering advice needed

I'm no stranger to raising and butchering beef, but, having never been a fan of beef ribs...until now after building my smoker... we always had them turned into ground beef. Things are different now this time around, with full briskets being wrapped too but the butcher wants know how I want him to cut the ribs. I don't know :shock:, looking for some advice here.

650lbs of polled hereford hanging as I type this. Can't wait to try him.:twisted:

smooookin 11-15-2009 11:38 AM

When I had mine done I told them if the ribs were real fatty to grind them up, if not I wanted them cut long.

mranum 11-15-2009 05:17 PM

Dino bones. Got it.:wink:

Thanks.

Mark 11-16-2009 09:16 AM

First, consider the size of one side of a cow's rib cage.

Second, consider the size of your smoker.

Let's say, for example) one side of a cow's rib cage measures 3 feet (along the backbone) by 2 feet (from where the rib is cut from the spine to the end or sternum)

I would instruct the butcher to cut the ribs so that they are no more than 1 foot wide (along the spine) by one foot long (along the rib).

That would give you 6 slabs per side and 12 total.

Divemaster 11-16-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1087100)
First, consider the size of one side of a cow's rib cage.

Second, consider the size of your smoker.

Let's say, for example) one side of a cow's rib cage measures 3 feet (along the backbone) by 2 feet (from where the rib is cut from the spine to the end or sternum)

I would instruct the butcher to cut the ribs so that they are no more than 1 foot wide (along the spine) by one foot long (along the rib).

That would give you 6 slabs per side and 12 total.

I agree. I would also tell him not to trim them to much, the more meat the better (I seen some that were trimmed so close to the bone they were only good for soup)...

Oh, and another thing, if he'll do it, ask him to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs.

ScreamingChicken 11-17-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mranum (Post 1086307)
I'm no stranger to raising and butchering beef, but, having never been a fan of beef ribs...until now after building my smoker... we always had them turned into ground beef. Things are different now this time around, with full briskets being wrapped too but the butcher wants know how I want him to cut the ribs. I don't know :shock:, looking for some advice here.

Is he asking about the short ribs? If so, I've had good luck with them cut crossways (flanken) about 2" or so wide; they butterfly nice that way.

As far as the back ribs go, I like them left attached to the rib roast. That way I can cut them as meaty as I want or leave them alone and cook them with the roast.

Brad