Need advice on a trailer

Timmy Mac

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little advice on a trailer. I'm having a problem on deciding on what to get porch or no porch. I'm looking at getting 8x16 or 8x18. I know these aren't huge but I don't want to kill my truck. I'm new to all this and looking for your advice and help thanks:-D

depends on what kind of cooker your using. I can't park mine in my yard so I can't have a porch where my cookers would be exposed. Having a porch just to roll my cookers out on would be a waste of space. I use a 6/10 and take a lot of it out at comps. Small yes but it works .... now. Looking at a small toy hauler of about 27 feet...now that work great for me!!

Here's a nice deal on a 8.5x20: http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/2948292722.html

My trailer is 8.5x20, the back 8 ft is a covered porch:

Smittys-Nelsonville.jpg

I guess it depends on your cookers...

I have 2 pits which I use both at home and for competition, so a porch was an option but wasn't looking for anything permanently mounted. I also wanted to keep the tow weight down as I wasn't looking to upgrade my tow vehicle (yet :) ) I also wanted to be able to fit the whole setup in a 20x20 ft space

I went with a 7x15 v-nose which is basically a 7x12 box with a 3 foot v-nose on the front. I have a "heavy duty" ramp in the back that has folding jacks attached to it so that I can set the ramp up as a porch and put my pits on there if I desire. I usually just wheel the pits off and cook next to the trailer.

I went with 2 axles (for versatility and higher hauling capacity if needed) and trailer brakes. Trailer weight is only 2000lbs empty.

I've been really happy with this trailer... It's been great to cook out of and sleep in for comps. It also pulls great behind my Jeep commander.

IMG_00841.jpg

IMG_00839.jpg

Well, there are going to be a lot of varying opinons as to what is best. It all comes down to your needs and how you are going to transport your smoker. I went with the porch. Ive had a 8x16 and sold it to buy a 8x18. You wouldn't think 2ft would be a big difference but what a difference it made for me and my wife. Having a porch when it is raining is a blessing.
p519585155-4.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! I have 2 stumps stretchs with the wheels so,I could always mount'em or just wheel'em off.

I cook on backwoods. I've had both trailer types. I wouldnt trade my porch trailer for anything. I hated pushing those darn hot dirty cookers up and down that ramp!! I have a 7x14 extreme with 4 foot porch. I'd go with a 8x16 with 6 foot porch if I had to do it again but my 7x14 gets the job done!

I used to have 2 Stumps mounted on my 10' porch. I love my porch. I mounted fold up aluminum sides for weather protection. Perfect for me.

Back