BBQ knives

B

beertender55

Was just wondering what knives and knife make everyone uses...Been looking at buying a shun classic slicer, but thought i would see what everyone else uses first

Don't waste your time and money on expensive cutlery and the maintenance there of for slicing BBQ. Buy a Mr. Twister electric knife for $20.00 and be done with it. Nothing could be eaiser and it does a beautiful job. Buy $9.00 replacement blades once a year and you're set.

I agree with zilla on the electric slicer. I have a $150 Wusthof super slicer, and always go back to my electric slicer. You want the real cats meow, get one of the cordless ones so you can carve table side, nothing better for cutting up individual ribs.

If you do want a good set of knives that will last a lifetime, spend the money and buy Wusthof, you wont be disappointed.

Forschner 5" curved semi flex boning knife,a really good all around knife used by a lot
of meat cutters . A Forschner 12 "granton slicing knife. Good commercial quality knifes at a good price.
And a 8" Henckels chef knife....

I have a nice collection of cheap and/or dull knives including the Miracle Blade collection from Chef Tony

I got a Guy Fieri "Knuckle Sandwich" chef's knive as a gift (actually a decent knife and not that cheap)

and I splurged on a Dexter chef's knife from Restaurant Depot for $30 or so...

I bought the J.A. Henckles Four Star set and have been very pleased with them. You can get an 8 piece set for under $150 on line. They seem to be really good quality.

Mundial - former german company who now is based in Brazil but prouces great quality knives at half the price of Henckels and Wusthof. IMHO they are better balanced and feel better in hand..... I own 2 chefs knives and all the others - love them. Especially the santoku with granton edge....

Forschner for me Bakers and Chefs from Sam's Club for the staff

Kinda go with Teddy Bear.

Love my 12 Granton edge Forshner, but usually use a "Bakers & Chef's" from Sams Club. Pretty good stuff for the money and if one disappears, you ain't out a bunch

Mundial - former german company who now is based in Brazil but prouces great quality knives at half the price of Henckels and Wusthof. IMHO they are better balanced and feel better in hand..... I own 2 chefs knives and all the others - love them. Especially the santoku with granton edge....
I can't disagree. I was given a set of Mundial knives by a friend, and found a site on-line (Mission Restaurant Supply) and bought 4 or 5 more. I have the 12" Granton edge slicer, butcher knife, boning knife, chef knife, santoku, serrated sandwich knife.
Also a set of the 4 Kiwi knives from the Wok Shop.

All kinds, but, my go to is a Dexter Russel Sani-safe 6" boning knife and an old forged steel slicing knife from my mom's wedding set.

i have 2 blocks of knives, 1 wustoff, 1 henckels. not their entry level either. plus a japanese ceramic.
decent stuff, but,
when i'm slicing MM or brisket, the SHUN 9" chef is by far the superior blade, and use i exclusively.
other knives will work AOK, but for perfection, from my experience, the shun is unbeatable.

Forschner 5" curved semi flex boning knife,a really good all around knife used by a lot
of meat cutters . A Forschner 12 "granton slicing knife. Good commercial quality knifes at a good price.
And a 8" Henckels chef knife....

I've got the same set plus an electric cuisinart and a big 10 inch forschner for cutting up big primals. Love all of them.

For home use I gotta say I love my Wusthof set going on its 14th year. My goto knife is the 8" santoku. These do not go to comps. For that we bought Sam's B&C's knives and have been very happy - rigid and very sharp and if one goes bye bye cheap enough not to be missed. If you buy a 12" slicing knife for brisket or roasts, etc spend the extra money on a graton edge. 3 to 4 times the price than smooth but worth every penny.

I agree about the "Mundials". The "Quality/Price" ratio" is way beyond anything else on the market, IMO.

Got set of 4 Wolfgang Puck knives on sale for about 40 bucks knocked down from like 110??(I think,it was).

Back