Can An MF Vertical Smoker Be A UDS?

creekwalker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a Master Forge vertical charcoal smoker (the older, 36 inch tall model) by mail a few days ago. It's sometimes classed informally as an ECB, but its said to be somewhat heavier gauge than the Brinkman (which I've never seen). Of course its walls are even thinner than those of a storage drum. But, assuming enough distance between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate, is there any reason it would not work for direct heat low and slow, like a small ugly drum smoker?

The most common distance requirement people mention for the UDS seems to be 24 inches from the bottom of the charcoal grate to the lowest cooking grate, but I have seen successfull working distances as low as 21 inches reported (again, for cookers used with no heat diffuser). Depending on what I do with the charcoal basket, the distance in my Master Forge will range from a little less than 21 inches to a shade more. What do you all think?

Use it like it's designed. All I'd do is rig up a way to manage the air coming in the bottom so you can control the temp. I modified a couple of them for friends. It works just fine for the money. Also, fill the water pan 1/2 full of sand & cover it with foil. Cheers!!!

I would at least use a perforated diffuser to cut down on the intensity of the radiant heat. This way you'll still get some direct heat if that's what you want. Doesn't hurt to experiment. :)
Having said that I would used it as intended but with a dry bowl, plus a few minor mods.

Thank you all for the recommendations. It doesn't hurt to experiment, but I'll probably take the advice given here and start out with a standard set-up. That way I'll have an internal basis of comparison when I try going low and slow direct.

Back