The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   250.00 for space rent for 2 day event? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66266)

stillsmokintn 08-02-2009 08:30 PM

250.00 for space rent for 2 day event?

theres an arts and craft fair coming up this month.its the 43rd anual for this event its a large draw in our county my wife contacted the orginizer and got us a spot if we want it.but probally wont be able to do sandwiches or ribs .another bbq vendor may be there has not sent in his money yet.i will be able to do pork nachos pork taters cowboy sundaees and my shaved ice. no soda either.250.00 seems like alot to me for 2 days 10-6 pm i may be wrong but just seems high. due to the size of my rig i will be set away from other vendors and will have to rely on my generator for power. feel kinda like the redheaded stepchild.:icon_pissed my biggest worry is the dealings ive had with these types of people in my raunt (hippie arts and craft types )is they just dont spend the money:roll:now the lady that runs it (4 days older than dirt)cant give me any solid numbers even though shes been doing this for 43 years. just hate to lay out the bread during these times.am i being over cautios? and the other vendors arts and crafts over 180 of them pay the same price.

C Rocke 08-02-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillsmokintn (Post 987964)
theres an arts and craft fair coming up this month.its the 43rd anual for this event its a large draw in our county my wife contacted the orginizer and got us a spot if we want it.but probally wont be able to do sandwiches or ribs .another bbq vendor may be there has not sent in his money yet.i will be able to do pork nachos pork taters cowboy sundaees and my shaved ice. no soda either.250.00 seems like alot to me for 2 days 10-6 pm i may be wrong but just seems high. due to the size of my rig i will be set away from other vendors and will have to rely on my generator for power. feel kinda like the redheaded stepchild.:icon_pissed my biggest worry is the dealings ive had with these types of people in my raunt (hippie arts and craft types )is they just dont spend the money:roll:now the lady that runs it (4 days older than dirt)cant give me any solid numbers even though shes been doing this for 43 years. just hate to lay out the bread during these times.am i being over cautios? and the other vendors arts and crafts over 180 of them pay the same price.

Sooooo.... $125 a day, plus any Health permit, generator fuel, insurance. Let's say $175 per day - What do you need to sell to cover costs and make a profit? I have a $ amount my time is worth for vending, and if the math doesn't work, I don't go. Best of luck!

Jacked UP BBQ 08-02-2009 09:06 PM

250.00 is pretty reasonable if you ask me, if you were able to do your menu. Not being able to do sandwiches, I would not even consider it. Pork sammies are where the money is, no pork no vend for me!

Bigmista 08-02-2009 09:43 PM

I would suggest not coming to Cali. We are considering a 2 day even that would cost $925. For $250 for 2days with a large crowd? I'd be selling Pig Candy, Fatties, Hot Links, brisket chili and just about anything else I could think of.

Dr_KY 08-03-2009 03:53 AM

You guys get off cheap!!

The last festival cost by the size of the pitch(area) four day event..

5M x 5M =£1,500 or $2,526.00

6M X 4M =£1,410 or $2,374.00

6M x 5M =£2,010 or $3,384.00

Bbq Bubba 08-03-2009 05:46 AM

Pretty cheap actually.

The good events here run $1250 for 3 days of serving. The crowds are great as long as the weather cooperates.

Why can't you sell sammies?

blues_n_cues 08-03-2009 06:29 AM

thats not a bad price for the area. hard to pull off w/out pulled pork. is it outside? depending on the heat you could do well w/ sweet tea,lemonade,& bottled waters added to the menu.
get your money in first w/ a no compete clause & be the only bbq vendor.
do you have a sound system or p.a. in your truck? i'd be hawking like crazy if you are a distance away. it IS hard to miss your truck though..:-D

Chuckwagonbbqco 08-03-2009 06:48 AM

Food Vending is a form of gambling that is allowed in all 50 states.

Try to increase your odds of winning at this gambling venture. Ask who food vendors were last year----if there are no returning vendors from the previous year's event, then you have one answer. The best events are the ones that you can't get into because previous vendors keep coming back.

Dr_KY 08-03-2009 07:00 AM

I was just invited to do one for £100.00 a day and 20% of profit. NOTTTT!!!

timzcardz 08-03-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_KY (Post 988193)
I was just invited to do one for £100.00 a day and 20% of profit. NOTTTT!!!

20% of profit is not too bad, because depending on how you worlk the books you can make the profit come out to anything that you want. If you lose money (negative profit), then do they pay you?

Now 20% of gross, that would be pretty gross!

smokinit 08-03-2009 07:12 AM

The price is definitely right try yo find something to make you stand out. Primerib sammies ext. I have been doing pig roasts at these events with great results. Good luck.

Dr_KY 08-03-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 988199)
20% of profit is not too bad, because depending on how you worlk the books you can make the profit come out to anything that you want. If you lose money (negative profit), then do they pay you?

Have not looked into that as they will be calling back later in the week. Problem is this is the first time for this event out there so I don't think there will be thousands of people around as customers. Times are hard and people arn't spending.

I don't see them paying me for taking a loss.

I offered £100.00 a day at 10% and it was rejected. so I moved on and started sending out bids for other jobs. Most places either want a set fee or a % not both.

big brother smoke 08-03-2009 09:22 AM

I'd jump on that; price sounds quite reasonable!

Ford 08-03-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timzcardz (Post 988199)

BBQ contest I'm doing in Sept wants that. I'll have a big sign that says 20% of sales goes to the Festival and adjust my prices accordingly. Probably add a dollar but depends on what others do.

landarc 08-03-2009 11:40 AM

I do not do food, but, I used to shoot photos and videos at equestrian events and many of them asked for a percentage of gross. It is quite common and sucks. Unless they give you an exclusive. $250 a day does seem pretty good.