The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chainsaw / wood chunks question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147268)

clikover 11-04-2012 11:34 AM

Chainsaw / wood chunks question

I bought an electric chainsaw, because I figured it would be cheaper in the long run to cut up my own wood chunks from larger logs than to keep buying chunks at retail...problem is, I just finished cutting up the first batch and the saw left oil residue on the wood that I can smell. Does this go away? Do others have this issue in cutting up their own wood? How do the companies like Chigger Creek make their wood chunks? I looked at some I have and I think they were cut via chainsaw also?

wjwheeler 11-04-2012 11:47 AM

A miter say is the easiest and cleanest way to make wood chunks. Watch your fingers!

cholloway 11-04-2012 12:02 PM

I'm using a 9" band saw to cut down larger pieces into chunks. I can also skin most of the bark off with it if I want to. The bark can be used to lay down a good bed of coals before the meat goes in the smoke.

Hook_Line_and_Sinker 11-04-2012 12:53 PM

If you must use a chain saw use food oil ( veg, corn, mineral )and not bar oil unless you like the petroluim taste.

The oil is only to lube the chain

stanimals2 11-04-2012 01:01 PM

Sounds like the oiler may be set to heavy, like Bill said though I just finished cutting up two 5 gallon buckets full of chunks for mine and this time I used the 10 inch miter saw instead of the lil electric homelite my dad had, heck of a lot easier !

Good luck, Stan

Bludawg 11-04-2012 01:03 PM

If its putting out that much oil from the oiler it's defective. I cut allot of wood none of my saws leave any trace of oil behind.

caseydog 11-04-2012 01:06 PM

You can get vegetable-based lubricants. That would help. Petroleum based oil is NOT going to completely go away, no matter how long you let the wood chunks sit.

I use an old mitre saw. Wear safety glasses, as it will occasionally kick up a chunk of wood.

CD

Mo-Dave 11-04-2012 01:30 PM

Its been awhile since I was at Chigger Creek, its not far from me, but they used miter saws to cut it into chunks, I don't know how it is cut down in the field before going to them. I have tried the miter saw and it was way too easy to have it kick back and about broke my fingers on it. Now I use either limbs or splits about the size of a fist and cut them into chunks with my table saw much easier and safer as far as I am concerned. If you are concerned about the oil from your blade then after it is split or cut chop the two ends off with your miter or table saw and toss them out but you may still get a bit of oil splatter on some of the wood.
Dave

Bbq Bubba 11-04-2012 01:37 PM

Dont forget to wash all the dirt off too.

MisterChrister 11-04-2012 01:44 PM

I use my chop saw to clean cut the oily ends off from the chainsaw and cut into chunks.

cliffcarter 11-04-2012 08:54 PM

We use Husqvarnas with automatic oilers and the wood is always clean, chain oil is not a problem if the saw is running correctly IMHO. I would not use any oil not approved by the chainsaw maker.

QansasjayhawQ 11-04-2012 09:27 PM

Just karate chop it.

Midnight Smoke 11-04-2012 09:49 PM

My 2 cents, My electric leaves just a slight amount of oil residue and I have not had any issues with off taste. Is the wood green, if so it may appear to be more oil than it really is, could be sap.

Harbormaster 11-04-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffcarter (Post 2263862)
We use Husqvarnas with automatic oilers and the wood is always clean, chain oil is not a problem if the saw is running correctly IMHO. I would not use any oil not approved by the chainsaw maker.

Same here. I cut with a Husqvarna and have never seen oily residue.

You can also use a Sawz All. Little harder to hold the limb/log and cut, but it does work.

Pyle's BBQ 11-04-2012 11:48 PM

I use both, a chainsaw and a sliding miter. I picked up an 8" Makita sliding miter saw from craigslist for $90 that works great for the slabs I get.

Something like this one.