The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS temp issues (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155236)

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 01:09 PM

UDS temp issues

Just fired up the UDS and this is the first full smoke. Originally drilled the holes on the lid at 1/4 in but then corrected to 1/2 in.

I'm using 4x 3/4 nipples for intakes, no ball valve for control. And 8x 1/2 in holes for exhaust

Lit her up and had no issue, but them i put the ribs on and it doesn't want to get above 225 with two nipples open. It's been 45 min or so.

I'm thinking it could be what I'm using for my fire pan. I'm using a stainless steel 10in cullendar to hold the lump in. S m thinking it could be the amount of air getting to the lump.

Another compounding issue is I'm noticing condensation on the lid inside the UDS. Thinking b/c it's not hot enough? Also the lid fits pretty good but it does have a little play in it b/c it bowed during the burn out.

Any thoughts? I'll post some pics shortly of the cullendar and of course the finished product.

Neonnblack 03-03-2013 01:16 PM

Open another, all UDS's are unique in how they get to temp and hold that temp. Yours is just wonky.

Also, when you put the meat on, it can soak up the heat for a while, and give you lower temps for a bit.

Is your basket off the bottom of the barrel? air circulation is key to maintaining and keeping temp. Also, that sounds a bit small for a fire basket. Further more if you kept the small holes in it, cut them out bigger.

My UDS gets condensation on the lid also, i dont bother with it, it doesnt change anything, or mean anything is wrong. A UDS is naturally a moist environment, which is part of its beauty.

Put strips of rolled tin foil into the channel, aka the foil gasket. Use the clamp if you have it also.

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 01:16 PM

UDS temp issues

3 Attachment(s)
A here's the cullendar. Coffee can was just to holiday it up so its not being used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Neonnblack 03-03-2013 01:17 PM

Yes, WAAAAAY to small of holes, not enough air can get in. cut out larger holes.

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 01:21 PM

UDS temp issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neonnblack (Post 2391777)
Open another, all UDS's are unique in how they get to temp and hold that temp. Yours is just wonky.

Also, when you put the meat on, it can soak up the heat for a while, and give you lower temps for a bit.

Is your basket off the bottom of the barrel? air circulation is key to maintaining and keeping temp. Also, that sounds a bit small for a fire basket. Further more if you kept the small holes in it, cut them out bigger.

My UDS gets condensation on the lid also, i dont bother with it, it doesnt change anything, or mean anything is wrong. A UDS is naturally a moist environment, which is part of its beauty.

Put strips of rolled tin foil into the channel, aka the foil gasket. Use the clamp if you have it also.

Yes it's at the bottom and it don't have it sitting on any legs. I thought about opening up the holes too but I didn't feel like doing it. Sounds like ill try opening them up later on. The temp did go up a little after opening the other nipple.

Neonnblack 03-03-2013 01:26 PM

This is what i would do: Cut/rip that bottom part off thats on it now. Go to HD and buy the small piece of expanded steel (10 bucks) cut it into about a 4-6 inc strip, bolt it together into a ring so that the colander sits about 2 inches off the bottom of the drum. And cut bigger holes into the colander.

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 01:34 PM

UDS temp issues

Sounds easy enough. Figured I might actually make an expanded metal basket anyway. Well see. I have a problem with HD. My $10 trips tend to turn in to $100-200 trips by time I'm done.

Could be a good excuse to but a small 120v mig welder. Metal is thin enough to use that low of voltage from what I've read. Besides, learning to weld my be fun.

Neonnblack 03-03-2013 01:41 PM

Welding is fun. Youre going to kick yourself for buying one of the cheaper 120 migs. You can learn on it, but its not suggested. That being said i have one, but i have previous welding experience. I say go for it, but the learning curve with a cheap machine is going to be STEEP.

I tend to spend like that also, lol.

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 03:09 PM

UDS temp issues

Quick update, opened all 4 nipples, removed the fire basket for a quick sec ad shook it and there was a lot of ash. Temps are up to about 275. I personally like to cook around 260 so were better now. Looks like a new or improved basket is for sure on the way.

Bludawg 03-03-2013 03:14 PM

The biggest problem your gonna have with that welder is it is flux core only. You will burn up allot of thin metal. Thin stock requires thinner wire & either agron or co2 shielding gas.

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 06:53 PM

UDS temp issues

6 Attachment(s)
Well on a scale of suck to 10, I think it finished at a 5. Temps were inconsistent for obvious reasons. Total cook time was about 5hrs and I think that was too long.

Small learning curve since its a new smoker and this was the first time I cooked with lump. Defiantly could taste the difference.

Cooked 2 racks of St. Louis style and a rack of baby backs. Used my own rub. Removed the membrane from the St. Louis ribs. Didn't get a chance to sauce them because I noticed when I took them off the temp spiked to 300. Judging how they looked, I think they were cooking high while they were foiled.

For some pron for ya, feed back is always welcome.

Neonnblack 03-03-2013 07:04 PM

Did you photo copy a picture from a disposable camera? haha, im just poking fun.

Anyways, they look good to me, i'd eat em, nice pink smoke ring, moisture is hard to tell in the picture.

Rickybobby83 03-03-2013 07:18 PM

UDS temp issues

Camera is iffy on my ipad, and the tapatalk app rotates the pics when they're posted. Moisture was alright, could have been better if you asked me, but the wife said they were good. She said they were not my worst.