BWS Gater and multiple meat cook ??

DBH

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've done a search and from what I'm seeing, people do this all the time. My problem is I don't see anyone giving any tips away.

What I'm looking to do is cook on my BWS Gater pork, ribs, and brisket. No, not for comps. But I do want to get a game plan together for all three meats. Say two butts, a whole brisket (or two flats), and say four St. Louis ribs.

Anyone willing to give up some tips on how you would manage a similar cook. Meat placement? How to manage pans?

Not looking for secrets (unless you want to PM me :grin: ) just some tips of how to manage to minimize frustration and possibly loss of meat during the learning process.

Thanks in advance!

the gator can do that. I did an entire comp cook on the gator.

Put the butts on the 2nd rack. Brisket below that. Pull them when they are done and let rest for 2 hours. Put ribs on top rack when they need to go on. When you pulled the butts and brisket, drop the ribs down to one of those racks and put the chicken on top rack (in a pan so chicken juices don't drop onto ribs). If you don't use a pan for chicken, put ribs over chicken.

Easy peesy.

the gator can do that. I did an entire comp cook on the gator.

Put the butts on the 2nd rack. Brisket below that. Pull them when they are done and let rest for 2 hours. Put ribs on top rack when they need to go on. When you pulled the butts and brisket, drop the ribs down to one of those racks and put the chicken on top rack (in a pan so chicken juices don't drop onto ribs). If you don't use a pan for chicken, put ribs over chicken.

Easy peesy.

Thanks. Yea, always do chicken on a different cooker.

But really? Butts on the 2nd rack with the 1st rack in? I wasn't thinking that the butts would fit. No problem with pork drippings washing onto the brisket?

Ever use pans for the big meats? Would think meats above would make a mess of panning.

Thanks. Yea, always do chicken on a different cooker.

But really? Butts on the 2nd rack with the 1st rack in? I wasn't thinking that the butts would fit. No problem with pork drippings washing onto the brisket?

Ever use pans for the big meats? Would think meats above would make a mess of panning.

Pans for big meats work great. That is normally how I do it at home. Keep the mess down in the backwoods. I terms of pork dripping on brisket or vise versa it makes no difference to me. I can't tell any flavor transfer. Chicken needs to be on bottom if cooking them all together.

I always do pork over beef if I am not cooking in pans. I also always did chicken in pans to ensure no issues with chicken juices.

Also, I take out all the racks and only use racks that are necessary. Improves airflow.

You should be able to fit the brisket next to the butts, on top rack, probably or 2nd rack, if the top is 2 close to the top.

cook for color, if 275 approximately 4 hours then foil, after foiling you can then keep them on the same rack or drp them a rack and add the ribs. if you want it all done at the same time, wait on the ribs for 3 hours, then add them, check the butts and brisket, should be close, when done pull off and rest until the ribs are where you want them.

should give a nice rest to the big meats, and ribs fresh off the cooker.

When I foil/pan my larger meats, I drop them down a rack or two. Ribs straight on top grates will obviously get drippings messing on the foil. Ever use a pan under the ribs, or just pan ribs from the start? Any better way to manage that?

I have never panned ribs. I wouldn't worry about them dripping causing issues. Its pork fat... is there anything better?

I wouldn't worry about them dripping causing issues. Its pork fat... is there anything better?

LOL! Well that was my third option (who cares?).

Even though the pork fat drippings would keep my hands silky smooth, I also figured the fat would make the foiled meats messy if not hot slippery suckers.

Back