The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Cost to cook (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175003)

Two Bears 11-10-2013 10:27 AM

Cost to cook

What would you charge to smoke 90 racks of Baby Back ribs? The ribs will be supplied but everything else I provide (Seasoning, foil,fuel, delivery...).

BigBellyBBQ 11-10-2013 11:47 AM

not a good idea...however if you were to buy the ribs and then sell them, what wopuld the mark up be? If you have 8 bucks into a rack and you would sell in bulk at 19 or so, that mean you have to get around 10 to 11 bucks a rack

Bbq Bubba 11-10-2013 11:48 AM

$50 an hour for 6 hrs.

themidniteryder 11-10-2013 11:50 AM

3x your total out of pocket expense + what you feel your time is worth. Be it construction (my day job) or BBQ, I don't wake up for less than $30 and hour. I also don't let the customer (weather it is a friend, or just a client on a professional level) supply the meat due to quality and food safety reasons. If it is for a friend, charity organization, church, something like that, I would be more than happy to go to the store with them, pick out the ribs and take possession of them.

HBMTN 11-10-2013 06:07 PM

I would not cook meat supplied by someone else but for argument sake if I did - My cost roughly $8 per rack so I'd be at $24 if I supplied the ribs and $16 if they supplied them.

BBQ Bubba's suggestion would not work for me, that would be $3.33 profit per rack and does not count the other expenses that you talked about. Not enough meat left on them there bones for me.

HBMTN 11-10-2013 06:28 PM

Delete posted wrong place sorry...

cynfulsmokersbbq 11-11-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 2688151)
$50 an hour for 6 hrs.

This would assume he has a cooker that can do all 90 racks in 6 hours.

If not he may be in at 8-12 hours or more depending on his cooker.

early mornin' smokin' 11-11-2013 02:09 PM

what is it for? are they going to be reselling your ribs and making a profit? lots of variables here. Let's say they cost $9 a rack, Up here we usually charge between 21-24 a rack out the door. If he's going to turn around and charge $20 a rack, $5 a piece isn't out of the question. I don't work for free.

acguy 11-11-2013 09:19 PM

I would charge whatever you normally would charge to do 90 racks of ribs minus the cost of the meat.

I agree with others regarding not being in control of the meat. Further, if you aren't there to purchase the ribs and take possession, I would be concerned it's a possible health code violation.

Two Bears 11-11-2013 09:21 PM

It was for a business meeting.
The cook went OK but the weather was horse pooey !

4" of snow - nice little blizzard came through with wind of course.
It took just over 7 hours for the ribs, I tried to do a 2 2 1 method but with the weather it did not work out that way

They also had me cook 25 pork butts with the ribs which were cooked on another smoker. Started at 1:30 AM - Long night !

BigBellyBBQ 11-12-2013 02:39 AM

well......what did you charge???????Also did you foil 90 racks of ribs?? If you did , that is ALOT of work

Two Bears 11-15-2013 07:50 AM

I put them in foil pans (5 per) then sauced for an hour. When done I cut into thirds. Yes it was a load of work bu it worked out well, heard tons of great compliments and the owner stated it was the best food that they have ever had at their event.
Cost was 4bills.