The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   cooking class (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49406)

ov1 09-17-2008 07:56 PM

cooking class

I would like to attend a competition barbeque cooking class over the winter and would like to know if anybody has any preferences..... Favorite instructors...best information....most bang for the buck. Also if there were some not so beneficial. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ottie

The Flying Burritos

lwest99 09-17-2008 08:38 PM

Not sure when Pellet Envy is having their next class but it is top notch. I would highly recommend them.

Big George's BBQ 09-17-2008 08:46 PM

Check the KC BBQ Assoc site. They list classes. I liked the one I took this summer

Westexbbq 09-17-2008 09:03 PM

I had the pleasure of taking one a couple years ago by Ray Lampe, aka Dr. BBQ.
One of the best.

Captain Caveman 09-17-2008 09:32 PM

I took "the boys from tornado ally" class (Bart Clark, and Donny Teel) and would recommend it. That is the only class I have taken so far. It was money well spent.

I want to take the old school / high tech class next.

Bossmanbbq 09-17-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ov1 (Post 740521)
I would like to attend a competition barbeque cooking class over the winter and would like to know if anybody has any preferences..... Favorite instructors...best information....most bang for the buck. Also if there were some not so beneficial. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ottie

The Flying Burritos

I just completed a write up on my blog on Donny Teel's competition BBQ class. It was top notch and worth EVERY penny I paid to attend, in fact I would pay again in the future just to have the time to talk and pick Donny's brain again!
Needless to say I would highly recommend his class, if you do you will come away knowing why Donny is one of the best out their. Here's the write up I did:
http://bossmanbbq.com/2008/09/12/buf...ooking-school/

Let Donny know the Bossman recommended the class!

Just Pulin' Pork 09-17-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq (Post 740592)
I just completed a write up on my blog on Donny Teel's competition BBQ class. It was top notch and worth EVERY penny I paid to attend, in fact I would pay again in the future just to have the time to talk and pick Donny's brain again!
Needless to say I would highly recommend his class, if you do you will come away knowing why Donny is one of the best out their. Here's the write up I did:
http://bossmanbbq.com/2008/09/12/buf...ooking-school/

Let Donny know the Bossman recommended the class!

Bossman I want to read your blog but its not coming up!

Gowan 09-17-2008 11:53 PM

If you are looking for the best of the best, my advice is to take the Jack's Old South class. You'll not just be learning about competition barbecue from the three time World Champion, you'll become a part of the extended Mixon family.

Myron will demonstrate every step of his winning technique and supply you with his recipes for Memphis in May, KCBS and FBA sanctioned events. You'll get the opportunity to help as Myron and Doby prep, cook and build boxes. After the class you can call Myron any time you have a question. Nothing is held back.

Yes, it's the most expensive class out there, but the value is incredible and it's more than just a class, it's an opportunity spend a weekend with a living legend that you will remember for a long time. I took the class last year and it was a terrific experience. In fact some of the ideas I learned have taken my team from top ten finishers into the money this season, with the resulting winnings paying for the cost of the class.

U2CANQUE 09-18-2008 07:48 AM

Ottie, since you cook on a FEC I would recommend either Pellet Envy class, or, look into the class at cookshack by Fast Eddy. Trying to step up and get some of those pointers going huh?...glad to see you sticking with it, you and your team seem to have a blast at the contests, and dont want to see ya disappearing.

Bossmanbbq 09-18-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork (Post 740646)
Bossman I want to read your blog but its not coming up!

Its working, try the website its the second article down the page....

www.bossmanbbq.com

Spydermike72 09-18-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ (Post 740678)
If you are looking for the best of the best, my advice is to take the Jack's Old South class. You'll not just be learning about competition barbecue from the three time World Champion, you'll become a part of the extended Mixon family.

Myron will demonstrate every step of his winning technique and supply you with his recipes for Memphis in May, KCBS and FBA sanctioned events. You'll get the opportunity to help as Myron and Doby prep, cook and build boxes. After the class you can call Myron any time you have a question. Nothing is held back.

Yes, it's the most expensive class out there, but the value is incredible and it's more than just a class, it's an opportunity spend a weekend with a living legend that you will remember for a long time. I took the class last year and it was a terrific experience. In fact some of the ideas I learned have taken my team from top ten finishers into the money this season, with the resulting winnings paying for the cost of the class.

Myron would get my vote as well, let me preface this by saying that I want to take his class. As you say he cooks in 3 organizations contests and is successful in all 3!!

cmcadams 09-19-2008 06:06 AM

I can second the Dr. BBQ class. Not only is Ray a great guy, but his class is very good. I've taken at least one walk in every comp since taking his class. Granted, that's only 4 comps, but the class helped tons.

ssbbqguy 09-19-2008 08:27 AM

For pellet users, the Cookshack class with Fast Eddy and Paul Schatte is a must do. High Tech vs. Low Tech with Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg is an excellent class, as well as Myron's. Dr. BBQ's and Paul Kirk's teachings are great. I have not been to Donnie's class, but if he disclosed half of his knowledge, it would be money well spent. He is a fantastic cook. I would recommend any of the above. Steve.

Sidw 09-19-2008 01:45 PM

I am sure there are a lot of very good classes. We have a taken a couple in the past few years. We really liked the old school vs. high tech class the best so for.

ov1 09-19-2008 06:37 PM

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. It sounds like a lot of people are having success with a few different instructors, so that makes me confident that which ever ones i attend will be well worth it.

Ottie

The Flying Burritos

Jeff Hughes 09-20-2008 04:19 PM

I have a friend that took Rod's class and Donny's class last year, he won several comps this year(his first on the circuit)...

drbbq 09-20-2008 05:13 PM

Thanks for the nice words guys but I'm kind of out of the business these days, unless you want to come to The Greenbrier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbbqguy (Post 741515)
......Dr. BBQ's and Paul Kirk's teachings are great. .....

And just for the record..........Paul and I don't work together. (Yikes)

Podge 09-21-2008 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drbbq (Post 742230)
Thanks for the nice words guys but I'm kind of out of the business these days, unless you want to come to The Greenbrier.

And just for the record..........Paul and I don't work together. (Yikes)

Hopefully Ray, that one of these days you'll get back in the business of your class. It helped me out tremendously when I was starting out, and gave me the confidence and the right mind set for BBQ competition from the get-go.

Sledneck 09-22-2008 09:26 AM

I Smell Smoke!!! competition cooking class. Best money I have ever spent. Broke a 3+ year hex on 13th or worse chicken finish this past weekend as well as a GC to boot!:biggrin:

Yakfishingfool 09-22-2008 09:28 AM

Now that's an endorsement and a half. Congrats Sled, I know you were getting frustrated and you did it. Good job, must be floating on cloud nine right now. Scott