Need brisket bark!!!

N

nikinik

I am using a bullet smoker...the "El Cheap-O" Brinkman and am having a really hard time with my bark being VERY MOIST, today it occured to me that maybe I should not use water in the water pan to decrease the moisture.
Does anyone have experience with this smoker or one like it where brisket is concerned? Or, could someone give me a tip or two as far as crisp and dry bark would be concerned?

Thanks

I think I forgot to say PLEASE...HAVE A COMPETITION NEXT WEEKEND AND THIS WILL BE OUR 2ND CRACK AT BRISKET...

If this is your second time with brisket, forget the bark. Concentrate on flavor and tenderness. Their are far worse things you can turn in then moist bark.

Just my 2 cents....

Tell us how you are cooking the brisket. Injecting? What rub? What Temps? Foiling?

Dont feel too bad about your brisket. It took us 4 years to cook a decent one.

You have come to the right spot....there are many artificial suggestions on here for creating a bark. Enjoy all the information coming to you.

It's been a while (almost 20 years) since I cooked on your type of cooker... I seem to recall filling the water pan with sand rather than water...

I'm sure that some one with more current knowledge well speak up soon...

You have come to the right spot....there are many artificial suggestions on here for creating a bark. Enjoy all the information coming to you.
Be nice... Not all of us use 'artificial' means...

Bark will come from proper heat and cooking method. There is no trick to the bark, just cook it correct and it will come. 225-300 degrees until it is done and you should have a good bark, there is not magic, just patience.

I am using a bullet smoker...the "El Cheap-O" Brinkman and am having a really hard time with my bark being VERY MOIST, today it occured to me that maybe I should not use water in the water pan to decrease the moisture.
Does anyone have experience with this smoker or one like it where brisket is concerned? Or, could someone give me a tip or two as far as crisp and dry bark would be concerned?

Thanks

Re-apply your rub a 2nd time later in the cooking process to promote better bark

In my cookers that were designed for water I'm either using sand in the pan, or a clay pot base in place of the pan. I don't like refilling the water and never found it to be beneficial to the cook. The meat has plenty of moisture as long as you cook it right.

I'm going with what OC said,
Bark will come from proper heat and cooking method. There is no trick to the bark, just cook it correct and it will come. 225-300 degrees until it is done and you should have a good bark, there is not magic, just patience.

My thinking is that you don't need a moister surrounding the brisket, it has plenty of moisture within. When you put moisture outside the meat, it will not allow the moisture from within the meat to surface and start to form that nice bark you seek. This is only my humble opinion, I am not a scientist, but I do know a doctor. So take it for what it's worth, and we all know what that is. Good luck with the upcoming cook.

Uh,,, I was being nice. Artificial is not bad. I make some wicked mashed potatoes that everyone THINKS is completely legitimate but is actually 1/3 unpeeled potatoes and water (no salt) added to Walmarts Big Bulk Bag of Garlic Mashed potatoes. So farking what....

Artificial - People ask me all the time why my "Vanilla Custards" are so damn good... so old school... LOL Farking one bottle of almond extract in the big 120 OZ can of Vanilla pudding.... LOL

Artificial - How the hell do I make my "Moroccan Chocolate Custards" taste so uh... old worldly? I sprinkle Bootsy Collins Flakes and fresh cinnamon into the can of Chocolate pudding as I heat it up in the smoker. LOL Artificial is not a bad word... I used mustard for 12 years....oh but that was 14 years ago.

The only benefit of the legitimate bark as described below is it will not mush out from foiling or even plastic packing or resting or reheating... it just snaps to life naturally.

I resisted the technique purposely to show there are others that do it the legit way and I didn't want you getting ONLY the artificial ways... which are good too.

OK, I can't take it anymore. What are the artificial means for building bark?

Speaking of bark, does anyone rest their briskets fat cap up in the cooler? I thought I read somewhere that's what Ray Lampe does. I've never tried it since I figured all the rub would wash away, but it is appealing since more of the flat would be in the juices. Lately, my bark has resembled mush because my briskets keep cooking so fast and have to camp out foiled in my cooler forever, so I guess it really wouldn't matter.

OK, I can't take it anymore. What are the artificial means for building bark?

All the Innovative ways people have come up with making bark on their meats outside of the simple Salt + Meat + heat + time = Bark. I think some of them are cool. And years and years ago, when there was no internet, BBQ, esp competition BBQ was taught face to face. The internet and the new techniques that have arisen in order to teach it to people without the benefit of touch, smell, taste, look and even sound... have made new methods. Thing is... most everyone is now using those methods, which make the old methods... well, less utilized on the circuits. It is easier to think you can mix up something that will make your bark better than learn a technique.

Its a big business...and the economic forces in control know they can simply make quicker coin by persuading a greenpea to buy a "secret concoction of spices" or Rubbs or injections other than learn the technique. Don't believe me... google the amount of Rubbs available and compare them to DVDs that teach you the techniques for sale.

Eventually, it comes down to technique... you have to learn those skills sometime... its unfortunate that now that usually comes after wasting tons of meat. I leraned it, forgot it or rejected itm then had to learn all over again.

Take me for example, trained by arguably the best in the biz... then I broke away... tried to mix things up... create too complex a rub, lower my temps too much, and was somewhat lost to the art for a period of years. Then one day I was showing a friend how the old schoolers used to make it and realized, hey... no one hardly cooks like this anymore... the Billy Walls are slowing down, the Milroys, all of them... slowing down, well maybe not Bill and Barb but mostly to promote their sauces. Bill's ribs are stupid simple and I think some of the best.

Anyway... had to come back. I thought I had nothing to offer in pushing the envelope for all those years only to find that I am pushing the envelope by seemingly not doing anything ground-breaking.

I liken it to - well - watching Bryan Setzer or Prince perform these days. So... my artifical comment was a compliment... frankly, if we stuck only to traditional recipes, we would simply not need the forum at all... someone could post "use salt, pepper and 270 or above" and that would be it.

But we all know from my videos that I don't JUST use salt and pepper. Hee hee hee. Even I can't resist.

Uh,,, I was being nice. Artificial is not bad. I make some wicked mashed potatoes that everyone THINKS is completely legitimate but is actually 1/3 unpeeled potatoes and water (no salt) added to Walmarts Big Bulk Bag of Garlic Mashed potatoes. So farking what....

Artificial - People ask me all the time why my "Vanilla Custards" are so damn good... so old school... LOL Farking one bottle of almond extract in the big 120 OZ can of Vanilla pudding.... LOL

Artificial - How the hell do I make my "Moroccan Chocolate Custards" taste so uh... old worldly? I sprinkle Bootsy Collins Flakes and fresh cinnamon into the can of Chocolate pudding as I heat it up in the smoker. LOL Artificial is not a bad word... I used mustard for 12 years....oh but that was 14 years ago.

The only benefit of the legitimate bark as described below is it will not mush out from foiling or even plastic packing or resting or reheating... it just snaps to life naturally.

I resisted the technique purposely to show there are others that do it the legit way and I didn't want you getting ONLY the artificial ways... which are good too.

All the Innovative ways people have come up with making bark on their meats outside of the simple Salt + Meat + heat + time = Bark. I think some of them are cool. And years and years ago, when there was no internet, BBQ, esp competition BBQ was taught face to face. The internet and the new techniques that have arisen in order to teach it to people without the benefit of touch, smell, taste, look and even sound... have made new methods. Thing is... most everyone is now using those methods, which make the old methods... well, less utilized on the circuits. It is easier to think you can mix up something that will make your bark better than learn a technique.

Its a big business...and the economic forces in control know they can simply make quicker coin by persuading a greenpea to buy a "secret concoction of spices" or Rubbs or injections other than learn the technique. Don't believe me... google the amount of Rubbs available and compare them to DVDs that teach you the techniques for sale.

Eventually, it comes down to technique... you have to learn those skills sometime... its unfortunate that now that usually comes after wasting tons of meat. I leraned it, forgot it or rejected itm then had to learn all over again.

Take me for example, trained by arguably the best in the biz... then I broke away... tried to mix things up... create too complex a rub, lower my temps too much, and was somewhat lost to the art for a period of years. Then one day I was showing a friend how the old schoolers used to make it and realized, hey... no one hardly cooks like this anymore... the Billy Walls are slowing down, the Milroys, all of them... slowing down, well maybe not Bill and Barb but mostly to promote their sauces. Bill's ribs are stupid simple and I think some of the best.

Anyway... had to come back. I thought I had nothing to offer in pushing the envelope for all those years only to find that I am pushing the envelope by seemingly not doing anything ground-breaking.

I liken it to - well - watching Bryan Setzer or Prince perform these days. So... my artifical comment was a compliment... frankly, if we stuck only to traditional recipes, we would simply not need the forum at all... someone could post "use salt, pepper and 270 or above" and that would be it.

But we all know from my videos that I don't JUST use salt and pepper. Hee hee hee. Even I can't resist.

Donny, it is I who must appologize... I thought for a moment that the old, evil Donny had once again returned...

I'm sorry my friend....

Back