The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket cooking help! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90817)

BlueHowler 08-21-2010 11:26 AM

Brisket cooking help!

After last weeks success smoking ribs on my USD I wanted to do brisket today. I read the brisket tutorial here and got started cooking a 12 pound brisket at 8:00 am with the temp holding at 225º. I planned on finishing around 7:00 pm.

My wife just told me that she invited a friend over and could I be done at 5:00 pm. My question is what temp should I cook at to achieve a done and tasty brisket with that deadline?

Smiter Q 08-21-2010 11:37 AM

Hmmm.... kind of new to the brisket stuff, but I think the veterans will tell you that you will risk toughening it up if you try to hurry it along. First barbecue lesson for your wife should be: "It is done when it is done." No disrespect to her, but try to let her know that as much as BBQ is also becoming a science.. it is still an art... and art should not be rushed. :-D

Now I know the above comment helps absolute zero, but I myself am building the courage to one day say this to my GF.:wink::wink:

One of the guys here in his signature has a quote form his wife. It is as follows:
"Is any of that meat going to be done for TONIGHT's dinner!?!"

So know you are not alone in your situation.:cool:

Now I will hush up.. and hope a veteran can steer ya where ya need to go!:tape::tape::tape:

Stoke&Smoke 08-21-2010 11:43 AM

bring your temp up to about 350 (I like to start the fire low, put the (room temp) brisket on, and give it a little time, maybe 30-40 mins, at 250, then crank up your heat to about 350.

In about 2 hours, check your internal, when it hits around 160, foil the whole thing completely, and put it back on, maintaining around 350. Check it in another 2 hours, and every 15-20 minutes after until your probe slides in like it's butter. Never had a brisket take more than 4-5 hours cooking this way.

Is it old fashioned low and slow? nope, but it comes out REALLY well most times!

Dave Russell 08-21-2010 11:51 AM

Open your vents and raise the temp to around 250 if cooking direct. I've cooked briskets like this in my uds and have them done well under 10 hours. Folks here say it's not needed, but I prefer to flip a couple of times if cooking direct. If using a diffuser above the coals, no reason to flip, and you can raise the temp to 275 if you want to. If done early, you can rest the brisket as long as needed in a cooler.

BlueHowler 08-21-2010 11:54 AM

Thanks guys! I wanted to do my first brisket low and slow but my wife must be obeyed.
I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Dave Russell 08-21-2010 12:11 PM

Just remember that a uds can get LOWnSLOW briskets done well under 10 hours, cooking direct. Check out the BDS website. I made mine similiar to Rocky's design, but with a kettle lid. I was skeptical about his times being so lower than cooking indirect, but followed his method, including the flipping a couple times, and found his times to be the same as my own.

Stoke&Smoke 08-21-2010 12:26 PM

This was done exactly as I described. I don't have a UDS, mine was done on a WSM

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/BILD1030.jpg

Smiter Q 08-21-2010 12:56 PM

@Stoke&Smoke
Wow.. that is a thing of beauty.

@BlueHowler
Hope this comes out good for ya. See, I knew a veteran would come along
and steer ya right. Though I need to make sure my GF does not see
this thread, especially about the "obeying" part! :roll::wink:

boogiesnap 08-21-2010 01:25 PM

yup, do what stoke and smoke said, but, i'd start probing for butta after only @ 1.5 hours not 2.

as an aside, traditional brisket being cooked lownslow is somewhat of a myth. at least in texas anyway. its cooked as high as 600* by some folks.

BlueHowler 08-21-2010 01:51 PM

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...1/IMG_0937.jpg

This is what it looks like now and the meat probe says the temp is 165º

it will be done soon.

MACS 08-21-2010 02:14 PM

Smoke & stoke... Jiminy flippin Christmas... that's gorgeous!

That looks like the first one I did on the WSM!!! Been trying to duplicate it ever since!

Smokesman 08-21-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke (Post 1376432)

In about 2 hours, check your internal, when it hits around 260, foil the whole thing completely, and put it back on, maintaining around 350.

260??? You did mean to type 160 right?

Smokesman 08-21-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke (Post 1376461)
This was done exactly as I described. I don't have a UDS, mine was done on a WSM

Quick off topic? That comp box is flippin' gorgeous. That is bib lettuce right? Makes me want to forget about parsley. Do you remember what appearance scores you got?

Stoke&Smoke 08-21-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokesman (Post 1376538)
260??? You did mean to type 160 right?

Good catch! Yes, foil at 160-165....260 would be WAY past done!!!:-D And it's fixed now

Stoke&Smoke 08-21-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokesman (Post 1376540)
Quick off topic? That comp box is flippin' gorgeous. That is bib lettuce right? Makes me want to forget about parsley. Do you remember what appearance scores you got?

It's green leaf lettuce, not bib. Scores for appearance were 989898, that was 6th place at Iron Mountain, MI

And thanks for the compliments!!!