The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Turning in two forms of meat in the same box (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45233)

Ron_L 06-29-2008 09:26 PM

Turning in two forms of meat in the same box

I brought this up in another thread but I created a separate thread so as to not hijack the original.

In my judging class we were told that if a team turns in two forms of meat in a box (e.g., slices and pulled for pork, slices and chunks/burnt ends for brisket) we were to taste both forms and judge the entry based on both. If that is the case, and the box doesn't have six portions of both forms of the meat (e.g., six slices of brisket and six chunks), and every judge doesn't get a piece of both, has that box been judged correctly by each judge? Should the box be DQ'd for not providing 6 portions of each form of the meat?

I would love to hear from some experienced reps and table captains on this.

BlueHwyBBQ 06-29-2008 09:49 PM

This exact situation came up three weeks ago. A brisket box had 7-8 slices of brisket and 4 chunks. The table captain called the rep over (a very experienced rep) and the rep said that since there were 6 or more individual servings the box was ok. No DQ.

Scott

MilitantSquatter 06-29-2008 09:53 PM

I don't think there are any rules specifically stating that a DQ is required if not equal types in a box. Just 6 total pieces... that could be 5 slices and 1 burnt end or 4 wings and two thighs etc. Common sense to score best and courtesy dictate to include 6 or more of the same.

In my judging class it was stated that if multiple forms are submitted, the cook wants you to try both and then they should be judged equally. But if If a box has 6 burnt ends and 6 slices, I'm not even sure if a judge is required to select one of each. Couldn't they just select a burnt end only as their judging portion and grade on that only ?

HoDeDo 06-29-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 674889)
I don't think there are any rules specifically stating that a DQ is required if not equal types in a box. Just 6 total pieces... that could be 5 slices and 1 burnt end or 4 wings and two thighs etc. Common sense to score best and courtesy dictate to include 6 or more of the same.

Agreed. I would not DQ for it, but if I am judge 6 and I don't get a burnt end.... that better be the best slice I ever ate :twisted:

Sawdustguy 06-29-2008 10:10 PM

I agree with Vinny and Andy.

NotleyQue 06-29-2008 11:15 PM

As long as there are 6 individual pieces and each judge gets to have 1 piece the box is fine with me. No reason for a DQ, and the rules is straight forward on this, there should never be a different interpretation of that rule. 6 is 6 period.

ModelMaker 06-30-2008 08:25 AM

6 pcs is 6 pcs. What has always bothered me is if the cook puts in both slices and chunks and I take a piece of each almost every time one is better than the other and I have to either decide the score on the good piece or the bad piece, or maybe even add them together and divide by two??????
In trainig I think they say to try each because the cook offers both and just decide the final score ( 1+1 /2).
What are your thoughts and expectations as a cook when you put both in the box and they both aren't great?
ModelMaker

Transformer BBQ 06-30-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModelMaker (Post 675080)
What are your thoughts and expectations as a cook when you put both in the box and they both aren't great?
ModelMaker

As a cook... if I put both in the box and they aren't both good... I'm hurting myself.

If you have one option that is better than the other... that is the only one that should go in. Regardless if you plan that day was to put in slices and burnt ends... if the BE doen't come out well... its time to change your plan.

Never make the assumption judges are going to give you the benfit of the doubt... put bad food in, you should expect bad scores. Don't give someone the excuse to give you a bad score.

Have only 6 good pieces of chicken? but usually submit 9? Best move you can make is to only put in 6 that day.

Gowan 06-30-2008 01:44 PM

On my table this past weekend we had a box that contained two thighs, two leg quarters and four wings. In such a situation each judge takes a single piece and the last couple people get whatever is left. I don't think it's good practice to send in a box this way because:

A) Your scores will be hard to interpret because each judge is sampling something different.

B) The last judges see the full box but the type of piece they wanted to try is not in the box when it gets to them.

Ron_L 06-30-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHwyBBQ (Post 674883)
This exact situation came up three weeks ago. A brisket box had 7-8 slices of brisket and 4 chunks. The table captain called the rep over (a very experienced rep) and the rep said that since there were 6 or more individual servings the box was ok. No DQ.

Scott

OK... The consensus here is no DQ. I can live with that since there are 6 servings, but apparently I am not the only one who wondered about that based on the experience above. So, three thoughts...

1. Why take a chance on someone else wondering about it and calling it to the rep's attention and
2. What does this do to the judges opinion if they see two types of meat and only end up with one of them and
3. as mentioned, if one of the two types sucks, you run the risk of a judge ending up with his or her only choice is the sucky meat.

tonto1117 06-30-2008 02:24 PM

Brendan pretty much summed up how I think about it.

Muzzlebrake 06-30-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ (Post 675341)
On my table this past weekend we had a box that contained two thighs, two leg quarters and four wings. In such a situation each judge takes a single piece and the last couple people get whatever is left. I don't think it's good practice to send in a box this way because:

A) Your scores will be hard to interpret because each judge is sampling something different.

B) The last judges see the full box but the type of piece they wanted to try is not in the box when it gets to them.

the last people at the table get whatever is left anyway, thats why the order of choosing is changed up, no?

the judges are each sampling something different anyway, the same piece of chicken isn't passed around.

if the judge wanted breasts and a whole box of thighs come in do they get pissed and mark it down? no reason for a judge to mark down a perfect leg because they wanted a wing

I think the argument that having one that you think is very good and one that isnt is valid, because it is hard to choose. I would choose to grade the better of two entries, and score the one that I thought was better

Plowboy 06-30-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake (Post 675538)
the last people at the table get whatever is left anyway, thats why the order of choosing is changed up, no?

the judges are each sampling something different anyway, the same piece of chicken isn't passed around.

if the judge wanted breasts and a whole box of thighs come in do they get pissed and mark it down? no reason for a judge to mark down a perfect leg because they wanted a wing

I think the argument that having one that you think is very good and one that isnt is valid, because it is hard to choose. I would choose to grade the better of two entries, and score the one that I thought was better

I agree. This ain't a KFC variety bucket or thanksgiving dinner. You wanna be that picky, don't sit in seat 6. :roll:

CajunSmoker 06-30-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 675549)
I agree. This ain't a KFC variety bucket or thanksgiving dinner. You wanna be that picky, don't sit in seat 6. :roll:

But half the time it's seat 1:biggrin:

Seriously I do agree that you shouldn't judge down cause you didn't get the piece that you want.

scottyd 06-30-2008 08:00 PM

I like to be in seat # 2 or I just wont judge.

just kidding. I really don't care where I sit unless it's by John