The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A-MAZE-N Smoker, tube or maze? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149056)

fingerlickin' 12-06-2012 03:43 PM

A-MAZE-N Smoker, tube or maze?

So I've been told to put together my Christmas list recently and I want to get one of these cold smokers but I'm not sure which one. Ideally I'd like to be able to do cheese, bacon, salmon etc. So do I get the tube with the pellets or the maze with the sawdust or the maze with pellets? Help please.

RW 12-06-2012 03:48 PM

There's a maze that works on either pellets or sawdust. I have it, and it works great in my mini-WSM for cold smoking cheese, nuts and all kinds of things.
I've used pellets and sawdust with equally good results.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/Produc...tCode=AMNPS5X8

Dirtbuddy 12-06-2012 03:54 PM

My Tube just arrived this week, i've yet to try it out.

Teamfour 12-06-2012 04:20 PM

I use the maze with pellets. I get 5.5 hours is smoke when lighting both ends. Great product!

IamMadMan 12-06-2012 11:05 PM

I use the Maze with pellets, lasts long, and I purchase Treager pellets from a local fireplace/bbq dealer. Much cheaper than buying pellets from A-maze-N.

If you don't have a Treager dealer near you you can get Apple, Hickory, and Mesquite pellets from doitbest.com and pick them up at a local participating hardware store with no shipping fees.

Hoss 12-06-2012 11:09 PM

A empty bean can full o chips and a soldering iron will do the same thing.Just sayin.

MS2SB 12-06-2012 11:12 PM

I have a dust maze which I love, but I would like the flexibility of using dust or pellet as I also have a traeger. If the option exists I'd get on that can do double duty.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jimbloomfield 12-06-2012 11:28 PM

I own both and they both work well the tube for me is used the most as I can load it with pellet and it lights easy. If I could only keep one it would be the tube

chriscw81 12-06-2012 11:35 PM

My vote is for the maze smoker, though I bet you'd be happy with either. I've used the can and soldering pen method, expand metal that worked like the maze smoker, and both methods worked well. The expanded metal worked way better though in my opinion, I just ordered the maze smoker too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

chriscw81 12-06-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS2SB (Post 2290620)
I have a dust maze which I love, but I would like the flexibility of using dust or pellet as I also have a traeger. If the option exists I'd get on that can do double duty.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

The maze smoker works with pellets or sawdust. I'm not sure but the tube smoker probably does also

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MossyMO 12-07-2012 12:00 AM

For cold smoking the AMNPS5X8 (maze) will be the better choice for cold smoking in warmer weather as sawdust puts out less heat than pellets, but with this smoker it is nice to have the choice of using either pellets or sawdust. The maze smoker can be lit at one end or both ends which ajusts the amount of smoke it put out.

The AMNTS (tube) works fine for cold smoking in cooler temps, but only smokes with pellets. Also, a full tube smoker puts out more smoke than a maze style smoker. With a tube you can put less pellets in it and adjust the amount of smoke.

Titch 12-07-2012 12:13 AM

I have the Amaze copy and its good.
By the tube that some have mentioned ,would that be a Smoke Daddy type thing?
I have one of them and its my preferred smoke machine.
Cheers.
Titch

chad 12-07-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieTitch (Post 2290639)
I have the Amaze copy and its good.
By the tube that some have mentioned ,would that be a Smoke Daddy type thing?
I have one of them and its my preferred smoke machine.
Cheers.
Titch

Nope, not a Smoke Daddy type rig, Todd developed a stainless perforated tube that hold pellets. I think he makes two sizes. They take up less floor space in small cookers and grill setups.

One thing I like about the AMAZEN smoke is no moving parts and no electric cord hanging out of my smoker in places not intended for elecric cords to be. :mrgreen:

bmonkman 12-07-2012 07:33 AM

I plan on getting the 18" tube in the new year. (Christmas has to come first. :cry: ) I tried to convince my wife that if we got it now we could give smoked cheese or salmon as gifts. For reason that I just don't understand she didn't go for it.

Don't you think that's a great idea folks? I certainly feel it goes with the spirit of the season, putting others first. :loco:

Brian

meatinc 12-07-2012 11:15 AM

I have the 18" Tube and it rocks! I think this is a must have in the BBQ arsenal! I got 6 hours plus out of the tube. It would have gone longer if I didn't use the torch so much when I lit it up. I just get a little crazy when I start playing with fire :twisted: