The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How much is a used smoker worth? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166860)

SLCMACK 07-26-2013 08:25 AM

How much is a used smoker worth?

I have a Peoria Custom Cooker Backyard 24X48 insulated firebox with the pnuematic wheels about 3 yrs old all made out of 1/4in steel. Im needing to sell this thing unfortunatally. I paid $3200 for it. It has a little spotchy rust on the firebox but thats it. How much do you think its worth? Sorry I don't have pics yet but I will get some this weekend. Thanks mods for putting the last post in the correct place, sorry, I didn't see the general ads for sale. Thanks, SEan

PekingPorker 07-26-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCMACK (Post 2566131)
It has a little spotchy rust on the firebox

Oh man! That thing is worthless! I'll do you a favor and come take it off your hands.

Honestly, the rule of thumb for used stuff is usually 50% - 60% of original purchase price after a year or so depending on condition. However, with a Peoria, I bet there's high demand for something in good condition. You could probably ask a little more than 60% of original price.

oldbill 07-26-2013 09:42 AM

When I sell things of quality I generally start with an asking price that is a little high and then allow perspective buyers talk me down to the actual sale price. If your smoker is in good condition and you paid $3200 for it then advertise it for 80% of it's original price or about $2550. When you advertise your cooker include the phrase "negotiable to a point" or "not firm" so that the buyer will feel like he has some haggling room but will also realize that you have no intention of giving your cooker away, this way you get only serious enquiries and the best possible used price on your pit. The fact is that you have a quality, high end cooker that you're selling and not an average back yard cooker. 1/4 inch steel and insulated fireboxes are not that common in the classifieds and you should get a decent asking price for it that is a bargain for a buyer over a "new" price but also giving you back more of your $3200 investment.:wink:

dano 07-26-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PekingPorker (Post 2566140)
Oh man! That thing is worthless! I'll do you a favor and come take it off your hands.

Honestly, the rule of thumb for used stuff is usually 50% - 60% of original purchase price after a year or so depending on condition. However, with a Peoria, I bet there's high demand for something in good condition. You could probably ask a little more than 60% of original price.

I would tend to agree with PekingPorker. These numbers seem pretty fair.

SLCMACK 07-26-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't absolutely have to part with it and I'm not giving it away. It would make a great cooker for someone.

Mo-Dave 07-26-2013 11:09 AM

Call Peoria Mfg, they should be able to help you out. Why are you selling it?
Dave

deguerre 07-26-2013 11:46 AM

I'd decide what my absolute bottom price was first, then bump that up for negotiation. Generally, it's worth what the other guy is willing to pay as long as your minimum is made.

kik_start 07-26-2013 12:28 PM

send me pictures and I'll make an offer.... I've been looking for a smoker

SLCMACK 07-26-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kik_start (Post 2566453)
send me pictures and I'll make an offer.... I've been looking for a smoker

PM me your number and I'll send to your phone, it will have to be this weekend. I only have access to a computer at work.

SLCMACK 07-26-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2566357)
Call Peoria Mfg, they should be able to help you out. Why are you selling it?
Dave

divorce

shirknwrk 07-26-2013 02:04 PM

Great cooker... Wish I could afford to make an offer... but you know how that goes.