The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS advise (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178524)

Friction33 01-01-2014 07:06 PM

UDS advise

Bringing home 2 55 gallon drums tomorrow to get started on my 1st UDS. Need a little advise please. 1. I like the looks of the intake pipes going up the side of the drum. Some say it restricts the air flow. Is there a certain height that is better or just not use them at all and keep the valves at the bottom?
2. The drums I am getting or sealed. Is there a way to cut the top to reuse it or just go with the weber replacement lid?
3. Heat diffusers Or no?
Thanks for any input you guys have.

Fwismoker 01-01-2014 07:19 PM

Yea I'm a big fan of the heat diffuser because it blends direct heat with indirect, also lets drippings still reach the coals for flavor...get a pizza pan, drill 1/2" holes in it and set it on a rack above the basket.

I don't think it's worth it having pipe up the sides... a better running UDS is more important than cosmetics imo.

c farmer 01-01-2014 07:22 PM

^^^^^^^^^ listen to this guy.

pbj 01-01-2014 07:23 PM

Take an angle grinder to the outside edge of the top. You will be able to use the top from the barrel with about 15 minute grinding

leanza 01-01-2014 07:27 PM

I'll chime in on the defuser. It really made a great positive difference in my cooking. I use a pan with water. It presents some issues though as compared to a straight up draft that you have without the defuser.

Budman1 01-01-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fwismoker (Post 2750719)
Yea I'm a big fan of the heat diffuser because it blends direct heat with indirect, also lets drippings still reach the coals for flavor...get a pizza pan, drill 1/2" holes in it and set it on a rack above the basket.

I don't think it's worth it having pipe up the sides... a better running UDS is more important than cosmetics imo.

^^^ my thoughts also. I think you get a better air flow without risers. I'm still looking for a weber lid, it'll give you more room for sure.

I did the handle thing on a ball valve to keep from bending over all the time. Works well.
http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/r...0/100_4268.jpg

Friction33 01-01-2014 09:31 PM

Thanks everyone. I will go with no intake risers and incorporate a diffuser for different cooks. I am going to start on them tomorrow night and hopefully by the weekend it will up and running with smoke.

ChickenWang 01-01-2014 09:35 PM

I cant speak for others, but I have risers on my UDS and I have no problem with air flow. I use a diffuser and It holds temp like a charm and I have very few flare ups

farmerman 01-01-2014 10:22 PM

I also have risers but only 2 cooks under my belt. I can say that i think my riser is too tall and at only 3/4" it seems quite restrictive. I would suggest a 1" id pipe for the riser but thats just my .02 :grin:

J-Rod 01-01-2014 10:27 PM

I'll second the notion of using intake risers. And its not about looking cool- think itd look better without it honestly, but...
Intakes which are perpendicular to high winds are far less affected by it than intakes facing wind. I know because I have cookers with both. The cooker with low, side intakes gets its a$$ kicked on windy days and the one with risers laughs at the wind and keeps on truckin. Jm2c.

Friction33 01-01-2014 10:49 PM

Well with all the different opinions and results I think I will do a couple of test runs with and without the risers and see what works best for me. Can't wait to get started building and I will post pics of the build.

Beef 01-01-2014 10:51 PM

There is a UDS thread here somewhere that will blow your mind. It will take two weeks to read through:heh:

J-Rod 01-01-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friction33 (Post 2750901)
Well with all the different opinions and results I think I will do a couple of test runs with and without the risers and see what works best for me. Can't wait to get started building and I will post pics of the build.

That's the best thing to do. I happened to start off with risers, it worked, so I left it. Plus, no bending:wink:

Friction33 01-01-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef (Post 2750902)
There is a UDS thread here somewhere that will blow your mind. It will take two weeks to read through:heh:

I read through that thread. Didn't read every single post but did read lots of them. Took me a couple of evenings to get through it. That is an amazing thread. That is what gave me the final push to build one. Off to a good start with 2 free drums. So here I go. LOL

farmerman 01-01-2014 11:43 PM

Yeah a free drum is a perfect drum! I have a riser like i said but now wonder if either its too tall or too small

http://i.imgur.com/DWVjqvS.jpg