The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Can a one person team realistically compete? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171979)

jeffturnerjr 09-28-2013 09:55 PM

my first competition I did myself and actually did better in results than my second one with a team. The results weren't due to my team but I did fair.

Scottie 09-28-2013 10:20 PM

I do it all the time. Just have an accurate timeline and follow it. Get stuff done early. Don't fall behind schedule, it's too hard to catch up.

Rick Hamilton 09-29-2013 06:48 AM

Many of my comps are just me. I have used both gravity fed and currently a stick burner. Go to bed early and then a couple power naps in the early morning. Works out fine. The bigger challenge is the drive home without someone to share the driving duties...especially when 8-18 hours from home.

Rambo 09-29-2013 07:30 AM

I don't see why not if you're organized

Bunny 09-29-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdstoll (Post 2639501)
Hey just a quick question -

Is it possible for just a one-man "team" to realistically be able to compete in local BBQ competitions? Meaning, just myself? I'm not talking about the American Royal or some of the other very big competitions, just smaller, local ones with maybe less than 50 teams (yet still "official" KCBS).

Having caught the bug over the last two months I'm thinking about a nice stick burner (or something else) but one of the factors that enters into that equation is potentially using the cooker to compete, meaning I might need a somewhat bigger cooker than what I'd typically just use at home or for church-related entertainment, for example. Like a Lang 48 vs. a 60, etc.

I did it one time when Rich had to work. I used a bullet smoker and a weber, one table and one chair, (no tent) and had my 4 little kids running around me. It was a contest of 50 teams. I did pretty good.

Nordy 09-29-2013 08:38 AM

I usually cook alone. It definitely can be done. It's more work... but you don't have to split the winnings either! I will sometimes have a box runner Sat AM which helps a lot.

GO FOR IT!
Nordy

Rocky_Northern 09-29-2013 06:23 PM

well i saw BK BBQ do it and win a grand turn around same day drive 150 miles enter another and win gc at that one copmletly by himself
he left before the awards by the way
true story

Bourbon Barrel BBQ 09-29-2013 08:52 PM

I've done it before. I don't think my results really suffered but the amount of extra work didn't make it very fun. I personally don't want to make a habit of it.

JD McGee 09-29-2013 09:21 PM

Yep...lots of folks do...and do well! :cool: Me?...not gonna happen unless Rhana kicks the bucket...then I'm moving to So-Cal to live with Steph! :twitch:

Muzzlebrake 09-29-2013 10:15 PM

I do it all the time, probably half of the contests I did this year were solo. The other half my wife comes with me and she is my box runner. Someone else added to the mix at this point would be in my way more than they would be a help.

I use Yoder pellet cookers and get plenty of sleep.

mikeleonard81 09-29-2013 10:58 PM

Parrot head drove from South Dakota by himself, set up, cooked, ran his own turn ins, tore down, and drove home from Ohio this weekend by himself I'm pretty sure. Oh, and he won! Congrats to him! ( All that from 1 man. I think it's time to start testing for performance enhancers in bbq comps. He's super human!)

wrenfro12 09-30-2013 09:13 AM

I only cook backyard so take it for what it's worth.....My team used to be me and my college age daughter. She found a boyfriend and now hanging out with dad is not as much fun any more.

I am now starting to do comps solo and it is not so bad....The hardest part for me is I have bad knees and running the boxes and getting ready for the next turn in can be painful. since going solo I have switched from a stick burner to a couple of UDS. With my knees I do need the rest at knight.

big brother smoke 09-30-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 2641845)
Yep...lots of folks do...and do well! :cool: Me?...not gonna happen unless Rhana kicks the bucket...then I'm moving to So-Cal to live with Steph! :twitch:

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Yea, cooking alone takes organization and focus. One must limit distractions such as mind altering substances and overly socializing. :wink:

rweller 09-30-2013 09:45 AM

A good friend of mine Gilly from Gilly's BBQ is a one man team and currently ranked 4th in KCBS team of the year rankings.

Candy Sue 09-30-2013 11:17 AM

Organization, planning and streamlining everything. Don't take anything you don't need.

My problem is I talk too much. Mostly alone cooking for 10 years as of last weekend.