The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Chris Lilly with amesphos (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168476)

jrodd52 08-13-2013 04:08 PM

Chris Lilly with amesphos

Has anyone tried Chris Lilly's Pork injection with amesphos added instead of some or all of the salt?

If so what was the turn out?

3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C water
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C table salt
2 TBS worschestershire sauce

First post!

cpw 08-13-2013 04:18 PM

If anything, I think you'd want to add the amesphos in addition to the salt, although I hear the actual Chris Lilly recipe is pretty salty...I don't know if yours is the original or modified version. The amesphos is just designed to help with moisture retention, not add flavor or saltiness.

Q-Dat 08-13-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2587653)
I hear the actual Chris Lilly recipe is pretty salty...

Its INCREDIBLY salty! I reduced the salt in it significantly anf it was still way too much for me.

Sawdustguy 08-13-2013 04:24 PM

The AmesPhos is simply phosphates for moisture retention. They have no flavor and no MSG.

nucornhusker 08-13-2013 04:43 PM

I'm sensitive to salty flavors, but Chris' injection never seemed salty to me the times I have used it. Are you guys using Kosher salt or table salt? I use Kosher with good results.

John Bowen 08-13-2013 04:51 PM

I have to say that in Chris's book he is not real clear on what type of salt or sugar to use in his recipes. I made the decesion to use Kosher and Turbanado sugar and everything seems to taste pretty good.

Teamfour 08-13-2013 05:06 PM

Well the the few instances of Chris' recipe found online says table salt. However we use kosher salt as well and don't find it too salty at all.

sdbbq1234 08-13-2013 06:32 PM

I made that recipe one time but did not use it as the salt was too over powering.

I have used another one of his recipes that seems to be ok.

Here it is:

1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup white grape juice
1/4 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 Tbsp salt

Combine all ingredients until dissolved.

wallace

slowerlowerbbq 08-13-2013 07:38 PM

I've used the Chris Lilly injection with pretty good results. I've also added FAB-P, but didnt notice much difference. That may have been partially due to the fact that I only put about 1/4 cup in the mixture. Last winter I did an experiment and cooked one butt straight Chris Lilly and the other straight FAB and boy was there a big difference. The FAB was moister and had a much better overall flavor. I still use the Chris Lilly injection for non-comp cooks, but have been using straight FAB all season and have been really happy with the results.

Now if only I could get the judges to agree...

Sawdustguy 08-14-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowerlowerbbq (Post 2587861)
I've used the Chris Lilly injection with pretty good results. I've also added FAB-P, but didnt notice much difference. That may have been partially due to the fact that I only put about 1/4 cup in the mixture. Last winter I did an experiment and cooked one butt straight Chris Lilly and the other straight FAB and boy was there a big difference. The FAB was moister and had a much better overall flavor. I still use the Chris Lilly injection for non-comp cooks, but have been using straight FAB all season and have been really happy with the results.

Now if only I could get the judges to agree...

The difference is FAB P has MSG and Chris Lilly's recipe does not.

kwas68 08-14-2013 08:48 AM

I have used Butcher's phosphates along with CL's injection. I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the flavor that the commercial pork injections impart. However, those that use them win.

I too find his injection too salty with or without the phosphates. I use only half of the recommended amount of salt and the recommended amount of phosphates.

jrodd52 08-14-2013 08:48 AM

I thought about cutting the salt in half and adding a little rub to the injection and adding a few tablespoons of amesphos. I would be real similar to pickled pigs mojo with out the msg not that bothers me too much. Do you think that would capture the good flavor of lillys recipe plus add the moisture retention. ????

BABYGOTBUTT 08-14-2013 10:45 AM

Has anybody gotten a slimey texture to your pork when using FAB P? It has happened to me a couple of times. Not sure if it is the Fab P or the meat?

kwas68 08-14-2013 02:07 PM

When I inject phosphates, the pork almost seems a little spongy. I also noticed slimy bits that would stick to the chunks.

billm 08-14-2013 08:04 PM

Chris Liilys injection is my go to injection on butts
..yes very salty if you were to sit down and drink a glass but once its injected and the pork cooks i dont find the meat
overly salty at all