• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wireless Thermometer - ET-73, ET-732, Or Something Else ???

Porcine Perfection

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I don't have the money to pony up for a Stoker and my WSM is pretty good about keeping temps up anyway; so I was thinking of getting a dual thermometer so I am not waking the entire house up when I go out at 2AM to check my temps.

I found the Maverick ET-73 for $30 at Amazon. It's replacement, the ET-732 is $60. The 732 does seem to be a much improved model.

Is it worth it to pay double the price or is there something else out there I am missing?

Thanks in advance everyone. :clap:

Get an ET-732. It will change your life. The connectivity with these transmitters are the real difference maker. The 732 has 300 ft of connectivity, and I've never lost connection through walls. I've owned some cheaper ones that i bought at a box store, and poor connectivity was very frustrating.

Being able to know what's going on in your smoker, and the inside of your meat from where ever in the house is priceless IMHO.

You won't be sorry.

The 732 has greatly improved range, and better probes rated for higher temps. Get the 732, you wont regret it i don't think. I really enjoy mine, as it gives a lot of information. However it won't improve your Q. It will just make cooking it a lot easier, as you wont have to stay right on top of it all the time.

I have the single probe model similar to the 73. Cannot get a signal inside my house. If you get the 73, you'll roll over in the bed & glance at it & think everything is OK. Problem is you lost connection hours ago when the back door closed. Nothing tells you when the signal is lost. I got a 732 several months ago. I have no problem getting a signal inside the house.

I'll third the fact that the range is so much better. My old 73 wouldn't work more than 20ft maybe.....and then there had to be a window in its line of sight :razz:. The 732 has worked great for me. I've killed a few probes, but they will replace them free.

I have the 73 and learned not to trust it! The temp on the transmitter occasionally freezes until I whack it. People seem to like the newer 732 model, so out of those two I guess i would get a 732.

Chris

Another vote for the ET-732. A few notes about my experiences over the last 6 months of use:

- My BBQ probe/wire has a short in it. Sometimes it reads LLL until I move the cord around, then it reads accurately.

- The meat probe reads about 7 degrees hotter than my Thermapen. I just let my butts go to 207 now, because I know my T-pen will read 200.

I just got a 732, used it twice with zero issues. It works as advertised and it works everywhere in my house (with aluminum siding). I was a little concerned over the reviews that said the probes where 'fragile', they appear to be well constructed and should hold up if taken care of properly.

AJ

Intriguing but a lot of bad Amazon reviews. Do you own one of these and if so what do you think about it?

I don't own one but the reviews seemed just as bad as the 732 reviews and it seemed like there were more negative reviews at the beginning before the kinks were worked out. It does have a shorter reach than the 732 (200 vs 300 ft).

They seem comparable with the slight edge going to the 732. I was just throwing it out there as an alternate option.

Last edited:
I must be special. I have used a dual-probe E-73 for about four years. Range is fine at about 75 ft. Never had it freeze. It is within 5 degrees of my thermopen. You can tell if it is receiving because it has a little satellite icon that flashes when it is working. I take extreme care with the probes.

Thanks everyone. I ordered the ET-732. For me loss of signal was the deciding factor. It is not much good if it doesn't work. I will by trying it this weekend on couple butts and will update this thread for others who may have this decision in the future.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Back