Celery Salt

GridironGriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone use it in their rubs? Is it particularly potent? I know a few people who mentioned it in their ingredients, but it's celery...I just can't picture it having much of a kick.

Thoughts?

Anyone use it in their rubs? Is it particularly potent? I know a few people who mentioned it in their ingredients, but it's celery...I just can't picture it having much of a kick.

Thoughts?
Actually, it's ground celery seed and salt and it can have a strong flavor.

While I don't use it in my rubs, I normally avoid any combination with salt. I would rather add ground celery and then add salt as a separate ingredient so I can control the amounts.

I use celery salt in my rub. It is pretty strong so a little goes a long way.

Guess it goes to show that ya can't judge a spice.

And I agree, I would prefer ground celery seed and add the salt myself...worry about the flavors separately.

Make sure you grind the celery seed. They look small and innocent, until you get one stuck in your teef. That is a powerful flavor.

I use a motor pestal to break up the celery seed. I dont want it ground to a powder.

I use the powder, and add salt myself...And I agree, a little of this goes a long way.

According to Paul Kirks book, if you are using sugar and salt at a 1:1 ratio, you would include celery, onion, sea, garlic salt etc.. into that ratio.

I have not used it in any of my rubbs but I might try it sometime.

I find the best use is when I put some in a Bloody Mary!

Ray

Here in KC, celery salt/powder tends to show up in beans. A little goes a long, long way. pretty potent stuff.

Back