My 3rd Brisket Bit Me!

Smokeat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just cooked my 3rd CAB Prime Packer on Sunday. Because I'm a perennial screw-up, the meat did not hit the grill till 12 noon. I thought late dinner, but that's cool. The first 2 briskies took 8 and 6.5 hours respectively.

You know what's coming, this brisky sat on 160 for like 4 hours. It's so agonizing to watch the pit temp cycling through, and maintaining the fire, but the meat temp stalled rock solid.

Finally passed the poke test at midnight. Wrapped it up and rested in the micro till I got up to pee at 3am, then fridged. Last nights dinner is going to be tonight's dinner. Lucky we didn't invite guests, cause they would be mean drunk by now!

There's a couple of ways to fix the timing of the brisket, but that 3 am pee stuff I can't figure out and it makes me mad!!

If dinner is at 7-8pm, I will start cooking a 12-13lb packer about 11am-12pm.

Cook it at 300-325 and be done normally within 6 hours.

Definitely a Temp Problem.. You are cooking it way to Low And Slow.. 300-325 the whole time no wrapping.. and you will have the best brisky you have ever had!

Hi, and Thanks to all for your replies. I'm still experimenting each cook, with temp and fuel and wood choices. I am currently using a kettle grill for these briskets, I really need to get some of my other equipment in shape for smoking. I have been using two charcoal baskets with the brisket in the middle, over a water pan. Temps go hot quickly, so this cook I used only 1 basket and no water pan. Aiming for 275, the kettle fluctuates constantly as charcoal and wood chunks fire up and burn down. I'm not sure if the Maverick is good or evil, it dominates my world during these cooks.

At Walmart Saturday, I picked up bags of Hickory, Apple and Cherry chunks. I decided to use Hickory as I know it is the strongest flavor, and somewhere here I remember reading someone saying that they were from Texas, and they could not get too much smoke flavor. Well I like a pronounced smoke flavor also, so I started out with 2 large chunks, and added probably 6 more as I added fuel. I know we strive for "thin blue", but adding chunks and charcoal always results in "cloudy white" for a while till the chunks burn down a bit.

I'm still new at this whole brisket thing, and I thought I understood the feel of the "probe tender is done" thing. Last brisky I watched the temp rising and second guessed the probe, tough result. This time I started probing at 190(around 9:30), and while the point and the flat under the point were "butter" the thin end of the flat had some resistance, just at the very bottom of the meat where it contacts the grill. I left the meat on for about 2 more hours waiting for the perfect probe, and at midnight and 215 degrees I pulled it even though it was a little tough on the bottom with the probe.

So Monday dinner was disappointing. I refrigerated the brisket whole, I should have separated the point while warm. The meat was overcooked, slices would fall apart, but the surface of the meat that was against the grill was dry and tough, fat cap was up the whole cook. That eighth inch of meat against the grill was what made me think that the brisket was not probe tender. Live and learn(on Prime CAB).

The taste was way oversmoked. Reminded me of smoked fish, kind of sour. I know Hickory is strong, but I don't know if it was too dry, it burned quite fast, or if I just used too much. I know it billowed white smoke when igniting, and pit temp drop drastically with the kettle lid off for adding fuel.

I feel badly for showing such disrespect for such a magnificent cut of meat. But there is a beautiful 14 lb'er in the fridge that I need to do a much better job on, probably next Sunday.

12 hours for an unwrapped 11.5 lb brisket is not extremely long if your temps were dropping as much as it sounds like they were. That kind of time in a kettle with the cap up (fire close to meat) without wrapping will definitely result in some hard spots around the edges. I prefer not to wrap my brisket, but with your cooker and the time you started it would have been the best solution. I would seriously practice on some lesser cuts of meat before you put the 14 lb prime through the same treatment.

I have had similar hard spots on full packer briskets done on my Kettle due to proximity to the coals. It is part of what prompted me to getting a dedicated smoker sooner rather than later.

I hated that I did that to a <$30 12 lb brisky....

I think I have plenty more el cheapo brisky cooks to get under my belt before moving on to Prime...

I do briskets for 11-12 hours at 225. Before I invested in the cajun bandit stacker I would do it like this. don't use both baskets or you'll jack up the sides. Where I live the humidity is 80%. I am not concerned about a water pan.

I put my basket on right right side of the performer because the amount of grease from a brisket clogged up the light assist and it took me forever to get it all out. I will load it up with this much charcoal and I don't need to add fuel for 12 hours.

"if you're lookin you ain't cookin"

Ribs
SAM_0026.jpg
Prime rib
IMG-20130308-00268.jpg
tritip
IMG-20121109-00161.jpg
AM beers and AM brisket
IMG-20120711-00090.jpg
Finished brisket
IMG-20120711-00091.jpg

@ Sliding Billy and peeps, I am only cooking these Prime CAB briskets because they are incredibly reasonable at $2.69 lb. I know this price won't last, so I am going to get all I can while I can.

I was really scared of brisket, and certainly would never have tried cooking one, except this price forced me to do it.

Crazy, but the first one was perfect. The very definition of "Beginners Luck".

Dang, that's a great price for Prime CAB. I'd buy a chest freezer and every packer they have in stock at that price.

I would cook it fat cap down to insulate it from the fire and eliminate the dry spots. I foil mine after the stall and then put the fat cap up until probe tender, usually around the 210 mark or so. I have been known to finish in a 300 degree oven after foiling. :pile:

Blessings,
Omar

Back