Boneless pork shoulder need ideas

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a boneless pork shoulder that I have had for awhile frozen I want to use it but not pulled pork I have a huge pan of pulled pork that we are even using in a macaroni recipe in one of Myron Mixon's books delicious by way. Any thoughts as it needs to be used

Cook it as normal but pull it at about 170 (still firm) and cut it up into cubes. Re-coat all surfaces with more rub, lots of sauce then back into the smoker in a pan for another hour or two.
Pork faux burnt ends, good stuff.
Or just make Carnitas.

Boneless or bone-in, I like to go with sliced every once in a while. Cook it like normal and pull around 170 then slice thin. Great as is or on sandwiches. I normally like a little bit sweeter rub on my sliced pork and will even do a molasses glaze as a rub glue.

Cook it as normal but pull it at about 170 (still firm) and cut it up into cubes. Re-coat all surfaces with more rub, lots of sauce then back into the smoker in a pan for another hour or two.
Pork faux burnt ends, good stuff.
Or just make Carnitas.

What are carnitas?

How about some sort of porchetta-style thing where you bone it, fill it up with herbs, garlic, citrus zest, maybe capers etc, roll it up and tie it and then roast it? I've been meaning to do something like this for a while but haven't got around to it.

This is my take on Carnitas and I have had lots of locals here tell me they can't cook it like this:

Mixed up the ingredients in a bowl. I usually eye this, but will guestimate some measurements::

1 TBS Cumin
1 TBS Cayenne
2 TBS Chile powder
2 TBS Mexican oregano (not italian)
1 TBS each Salt & pepper
Quartered yellow onion
3 large cloves smashed / chopped garlic
2 to 3 TBS Lime juice (enough to make it all wet)
Small can of chipotle peppers chopped and adobo sauce included
2 to 3 lbs Carnitas meat (pork shoulder chunks)

I mix that all together and let it marinate over night. Next day, throw it all in a pot with a can of chicken broth and enough water to cover. Put a lid on it, bring it to a boil. and then turn it down to simmer for 2 hours. Do NOT skim the fat off the top.

After the 2 hours is up, bring it to a high boil until all the broth / water cooks away. What is left is spicy pork goodness and a little of the fat. Some people cook the meat in this fat to crisp it up. Or you can put it in the oven to do it.

Serve this on tortilla's with whatever taco sides you like. Tender, juicy, and spicy pulled pork...

Back