The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   mini offset build. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167710)

T-doh 08-04-2013 08:40 PM

mini offset build.

I've been wanting to build a bigger smoker for awhile now, almost pulled the trigger on doin a uds but decided to take a different route, i scored a free old 100 pound propane tank, then found a tree stand and deer cart i won't use. So what the hey lets build a mini offset for my patio! I have no use for a large capacity smoker, even though i'd love one, i never cook for more than just family. My whole goal for this is to keepmy cost as low as possible and still get a nice, efficient, long buring smoker. i started today, got the door cut in the tank, my firebox welded up and mounted to the cook chamber, and my stand tacked on. thanks for looking feel free to give any advice!

HookedOnQ 08-04-2013 08:57 PM

Looking good so far. Im getting ready to build one about that same size myself. Keep us posted

landarc 08-04-2013 09:02 PM

Nice start. I hope you are going to add diagonal bracing to that stand.

T-doh 08-05-2013 08:18 AM

Ill be adding more to the stand, gonna have some storage down there, surprisingly enough it's not too flimsy as it sits, just heavy as heck! My plan is to have it done by this coming weekend so I can do a couple butts on it for my daughters birthday party. Guess ill have a long week..

J-Rod 08-05-2013 08:24 AM

Looks like a good start, and that bung on the end is the perfect location for your smokestack exit, unless you're going reverse flow...

oldbill 08-05-2013 10:11 AM

Very cool!:thumb: A good use of scraps, Fred Sanford would be proud! LOL! Have you thought about adding a warmer box on top of the firebox?:idea: It would be a good use of the heat escaping off of the top, good for pre-heating your wood if nothing else! Good job!:-D

T-doh 08-06-2013 04:50 PM

Haven't had much time so far this week to work on it, too busy with work. Guess it won't be done by this weekend. Ill be putting the exhaust out of that bung. I did manage to get everything cut for my cooking grates, just need to weld them up. How important is a heat baffle? If I were to put one in how far should I take it? The full length of the cooking chamber? Thanks guys

RatRod 08-06-2013 05:37 PM

I LIKE it !!!

HookedOnQ 08-06-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-doh (Post 2579603)
Haven't had much time so far this week to work on it, too busy with work. Guess it won't be done by this weekend. Ill be putting the exhaust out of that bung. I did manage to get everything cut for my cooking grates, just need to weld them up. How important is a heat baffle? If I were to put one in how far should I take it? The full length of the cooking chamber? Thanks guys

If you take your baffle the full length of the cook chamber you would basicaly be makin it a reverseflow therefore you would need to move your exhaust to the same end as the firebox. If you wanna keep it a standard offset you will need a short baffle over the firebox to cook chamber entrance than multiple plates across your cook chamber that you adjust to even out your temps and hot spots... Those would be called tuning plates if you do a search im sure you could find some more info on them

smoke'n Frank 08-06-2013 06:15 PM

Im so glad i found this thread. I found a 100# tank i can buy for 50 bucks. i may get it and do one of these just didnt know if it was big enough to make a smoker out of. Im staying posted for updates

T-doh 08-06-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookedOnQ (Post 2579685)
If you take your baffle the full length of the cook chamber you would basicaly be makin it a reverseflow therefore you would need to move your exhaust to the same end as the firebox. If you wanna keep it a standard offset you will need a short baffle over the firebox to cook chamber entrance than multiple plates across your cook chamber that you adjust to even out your temps and hot spots... Those would be called tuning plates if you do a search im sure you could find some more info on them

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, are the heat baffles a must or could I still do alright without them?

T-doh 08-06-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke'n Frank (Post 2579697)
Im so glad i found this thread. I found a 100# tank i can buy for 50 bucks. i may get it and do one of these just didnt know if it was big enough to make a smoker out of. Im staying posted for updates

A 100 pound tank will make a decent little smoker, I'm gaining about twice the capacity as I had before, but that's still only holding about 8 full racks of ribs. It'll be perfect for me though since I just cook for family. I got pretty lucky and scored two free tanks. Hope you decide to build one!

HookedOnQ 08-06-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-doh (Post 2579791)
Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, are the heat baffles a must or could I still do alright without them?

I think you could do alright without them. You may have some issues with uneven temps across the cook chamber but im sure you could work with it after you learn the pit some. Maybe someone ealse will tune in and can give you a more postive answer

DownHomeQue 08-06-2013 10:35 PM

I can dig it! Looks great!

ButtBurner 08-06-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-doh (Post 2579791)

tuning plates are cery simple to add later if you decide you need them

here are mine