Perfect holding temp for butts/brisket

coondogbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
When I cook a butt or a brisket I like to or need to hold them for a while. I often leave the probe in so I can monitor the IT. I let the meat cool some before wrapping it up and putting it in container for holding. Just wondering what would be the perfect temp for holding it to actually enhance the meat. Thanks in advance for your response. df

I don't use any heat source for holding my briskets or butts. I vent the foil to stop any carry over cooking and put them in my Cambro until I need them. As long as they don't get below 140 degrees they are fine.

Same for me. Just open foil or wrap, vent, hold in cooler or cambro for a couple of hours.

As a former manager of the concession stand at the big local rec plex/pool, the health inspector in me say 160* for safe holding. A 140 to 160 range is fine though for butts.

Is there an optimum temp that will improve the butt? Matter of opinion really. Its like asking if a butt is best cooked on a BGE, a RF wood fired offset, or a UDS. Ask 100 different people and get 100 different answers why.

Back