• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lined barrels suck

My last UDS was a lined barrel. Between the fires, torching, and grinding that went on to remove it, I think I severely aggravated most of my neighbors.

It’s all worth it once it’s up and running. Good luck!

It's all about what you have cheap and easy access to. The idea of not being able to find an unlined barrel almost turned me away from building a UDS. For me, the whole idea of building a UDS was a huge challenge since I'm not very mechanically inclined. I was looking for the easiest way out without having to spend TOO much money. I ended up with a tan liner and a weed burner. The weed burner coupled with a wire brush wheel on my 3/8" drill took care of the dirty work for me...

Or the other side of the coin is... If a weed burner or several hot fires don't take it off. You really think that a 225 fire will after seasoning????

Not to mention the laundry list of carcinogens in the smoke you cook your food in for 8 to 14+ hours. Burn it, wash it, season it, run it.

YMMV

Ya know, after having read multiple horror stories about the dreaded liner, I can truly say I will not buy a drum like that -ever-. I stumbled across a heavy duty drum for free. I did a burn, wipe out, burn, clean, done. If the dreaded day comes forth that I need to replace my lovely friend it will be as free of red liner as its predecessor.

well two fires and about a hour of grinding the barrel is pretty much done. Going to burn it one more time to season the bare metal.

I had this barrel glowing red it was so hot and still did not remove all of the liner. I will never ever buy another barrel with a liner.

I can buy clean barrels all day for 6.00 with rings.. they were Used for hand washing liquid soap..

Depending on where you are finding the ideal barrel is the hardest part of the entire build.

Back