weird request for food !!!

S

stillsmokintn

had a guy approach me to do food for there auction event.simple sandwiches, nachos,drinks.heres the kicker he says has to be good deal because they pay for it the people attending get free food and drinks. im at a loss what to charge :shock: i normally charge 4.00 bucks for sammie and 3.75 for chesse nachos. dont know how to handle this one...HELP,HELP,HELP:confused:

State your price and kindly let him know you need $$ for your time effort ect. Sounds like he is really low balling you. If he says its too much. Walk

State your price and kindly let him know you need $$ for your time effort ect. Sounds like he is really low balling you. If he says its too much. Walk
Agreed,, you can't do it for nothing, still got your expenses and your time,

Will he give you a fixed number?
If he wants 100 sammies, charge $400.
Sounds like easy monet, if you serve 75, you make out!

He should have a good idea of how many people he expects and how much they'll eat - free food, people tend to eat a lot. Make sure that you have a clear contract on this one - who owns the leftovers? When will he pay you - 50% in advance is standard, balance on the day. Do you trust him enough to take a check or do you want cash?

I think it comes down to how much you are willing to support his charity. If that number is zero, give him the price you normally would and stick to your guns. If it is a charity you support, or your bookings are empty, then you need to think about what the exposure is worth. I used to deal with a lot of folks that loved to tell me how it was all for a good cause, I lost a lot of money, and I found out I am a bad negotiator too boot. I now stick to my rates unless I support the charity and am willing to give my money away.

I would approach it as a cater job. Strictly state in writing how much, what of, and what time, and the firm price.

Warning Warning

When people at an event are getting "Free" food, they have a false sense of entitlement. Rules need to be stated before you get there. The food line somehow needs to be policed, and if you have to pay someone to police the line it costs money.

1st rule---People to be fed must have a ticket or something to verify that they are the people that the sponsor wants to feed.

2nd rule---On the ticket have printed "EXACTLY" what each ticket holder is entitled to receive.

If you do not use these rules----people will make 3 or 4 trips thru the line .
If you offer one pork chop, then they will demand the whole hog.

Wristbands will not work unless you have a way to punch them out.

I would suggest talking to the sponsor of the event and make it their responsibility to police who is served and how much they are served. I would let them know that they will be charged by how much food is consumed---not by a per person count. If they are policing and they are paying---then there are no disagreements over what has been served. Keep an accurate count of what you cook and serve.

Pricing

I do something similar every year for a corporate client, its easy! Write a menu and price it to make money, keep it simple with a low food cost.

We guarantee that we will provide 150 meals per day for three days (lunch only)

In the contract I am very specific about the quantities of food I'm providing each day and for how long.

We serve from 11am to 2 pm or until we run out of food, when its gone its gone and contractually you have met your obligation.

Don't try to police who eats, these events are free for alls, just serve the food until its gone and go home!

update

well went by the auction saturday morning to talk to the guy with my rig.he said did ya work me up a price on sandwiches and can pop.so i said do sammies for 3.75 and can drinks for .75 how many do you want? to start with.he just laughs and says i was thinkin around a buck for sammies and .35 on can drinks.i just laughed back at him and said thanks but no thanks im not sellin generic hot dogs here nor will i.so i bounced!!! went back while auction was going on he had some women givin away day old cookies from wal-mart and generic soda cans away.there was about 40 people there.

well went by the auction saturday morning to talk to the guy with my rig.he said did ya work me up a price on sandwiches and can pop.so i said do sammies for 3.75 and can drinks for .75 how many do you want? to start with.he just laughs and says i was thinkin around a buck for sammies and .35 on can drinks.i just laughed back at him and said thanks but no thanks im not sellin generic hot dogs here nor will i.so i bounced!!! went back while auction was going on he had some women givin away day old cookies from wal-mart and generic soda cans away.there was about 40 people there.

Good for you brother! I had a guy who wanted me to cook for 75 people. Ribs, Brisket, Pork and Burgers with 3 sides and he wanted me to stick around and serve... $4 per person is what he wanted to pay. Needless to say I had a great day on the golf course!

its funny how things work got a job for aug 1 from a guy at that auction.its an easy one to 10 pounds pulled pork,10 pounds beef,20 pounds chicken wings.all i have to do is have it ready and he picks up. priced it on the high side he said great gave me 1/2 down cash.thats the ones i like:-D

Id tell him you cant get a meal for that on the dollor menu at Mcd or Wendys. People always want something for nothing.

Back