certified kitchen search

Garth57

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been looking for a certified kitchen to use for food prep, etc. I found one for $40/hr with fridge space that would be allocated to me. They will also give me a key so I can pick up food before my Sat morning market I do. Does that sound in line? I have tried American legion, churches, Lions Club, etc to no avail.

I would think that price would about kill any profit?

After food, supplies, etc are you even making that much?

Are you using it just for storage or prepping and cooking?

storage, prepping, cooking. Yes, it does kill profits.

Well this is my first year catering and that would have sunk me the first month alone.

Hate to say it, but that's about the going rate here, too- I was quoted $50/hr. for the same kind of situation, but WITHOUT overnight food storage. Sure changes your overhead! :eek:/

Just had a meeting with my HD yesterday. Since the meat is prepped in my trailer I can store what small dry items I have in my home in a designated pantry/closet/cabinet. I'll prep and load/unload smoker from the inside of my trailer so they were fine with it. Here's a pic of my interior.

30673_1440887351640_1516743286_1064117_4414846_n.jpg

Dude go to james and get a trailer. i did and its certified by the health dept. the only thing i have in my trailer is a 3 bay, handwash, prep table and refrigeration. Nothing else is needed. I smoke everything that i sell and dont need anything other than what i have. Its an 8x16 with a 4 foot porch as is capable of pumping out some serious food. Ive got guys with trailers twice the size of mine and sell the same amount. All you need is a couple of electric warmers and a cambro and you'll be fine. Im not sure of how much food you unload at these markets but i bet you could do it out of a small concession trailer without much money laid out.

James is RICH!!!! either that or the guy who built and designed it gave him a really good deal:-D

I'm still rolling after reading that Keith, damn!!! Not rich by any means, just ask my wife. Bottom line is if you want to make or eventually make a business out of it, get a mobile unit approved by the HD for less or about the price of a new truck. Would you agree??

I've been looking for a certified kitchen to use for food prep, etc. I found one for $40/hr with fridge space that would be allocated to me. They will also give me a key so I can pick up food before my Sat morning market I do. Does that sound in line? I have tried American legion, churches, Lions Club, etc to no avail.[/QUOTE

$40/hr or week?

I've been looking for a certified kitchen to use for food prep, etc. I found one for $40/hr with fridge space that would be allocated to me. They will also give me a key so I can pick up food before my Sat morning market I do. Does that sound in line? I have tried American legion, churches, Lions Club, etc to no avail.[/QUOTE

$40/hr or week?

I highly doubt a week...if so ill need the guys name and number so i could sub contract to other caterers out there. In my town here in NJ you CAN build a catering kitchen attached to the house as long as the entrance from the house to garage is closed off. As long as you enter the "kitchen" without going through the house its legal. The health inspectors will argue you with that and so will the building dept but the fact is they dont know chit. Look into zoning in your town and i bet there is no law against it. Or do what i did and have james hook you up with a sweet azz trailer. it'll save you money in the long run and all your male neighbors will be envious.

$40/hr or week?

Per hour.....

Has anyone thought of askin your local grocery store? Your know the ones that have the bakery and deli?

Maybe you can work out a deal for competitive pricing on their meat, with you buying all meat from them... for maybe their logo on your banner/shirts and a "All Meats Provided By.." ???

Just a thought

James is RICH!!!! either that or the guy who built and designed it gave him a really good deal:grin:

My trailer is not that nice but people tell me the same thing about being rich and I tell them no. I say you drive a $30,000 truck and I drive a $5000 truck and have a $15,000 trailer and it makes me money for $10,000 less than your investment :thumb:

Just had a meeting with my HD yesterday. Since the meat is prepped in my trailer I can store what small dry items I have in my home in a designated pantry/closet/cabinet. I'll prep and load/unload smoker from the inside of my trailer so they were fine with it. Here's a pic of my interior.

30673_1440887351640_1516743286_1064117_4414846_n.jpg

My county will not permit ANY mobile kitchen
"How could we do surprise inspections if you can move it around?"
:(

Thats is a nice set up brother

I hear that the main place that I want to set up will not allow any sort of M.F.U. - Have to stay in my own town. But they seem to want you to sign a contract with the devil...fingerprints, criminal report, picture, 1000 bond......

My HD does the inspection before hand, basically fill out all required paperwork, meet their requirements and turn in an application for an annual permit along with a $210 fee. Permit allows me to setup any where in TN.

the county i live in will inspect a mobile food unit. The town i live in does not allow any mobile food units to park on the side of the road and sell food. every other town in the county does but you just cant pull over and start selling ribs. you need to get a food service permit from the town you will be selling in besides the inspection from the county health dept. It doesnt matter for me because i dont do roadside i only do bbq festivals and 90% of them are NOT in the state of NJ. If it is an event in the town i live in thats different because thats an event permit that only limits me to the days the event is open. I also know that most towns in the county if you sell food in the town that you live in you cant park your mobile unit at your house. it must be parked at a commercial site. if you sell in the town next door you can keep the unit at home. Typical New Jersey Bullchit.

Back