The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone familiar with vertical offsets? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166291)

BBQNCO 07-19-2013 05:41 AM

Anyone familiar with vertical offsets?

So, I've been looking to upgrade from my gasser to a stick burner and I think I found the style I like most. Only problem is most of them have been way out of my price range. I started looking for a bandera with no luck anywhere. I almost went with the Dyna-Glow vertical offset smoker and then I saw this at Home Depot's website http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann...03-S/203703110

Anyone know anything about this style Brinkman is making? I see lots of posts on their horizontal ones, but nothing on the vertical. Any help would be great as I am still somewhat of a newb with smoking. I know that I can do some basic mods to it when I get it, but I don't know anything about welding so that's not a likely avenue for me. Thanks all :grin:

Two Bears 07-19-2013 06:10 AM

I'd like to see the inside to see what mods might be needed.

BBQ Bandit 07-19-2013 06:15 AM

You can find a used 22.5" WSM for that price... a better all-around and award winning smoker... or if you are handy with tools - build a UDS.

The issues noticed;
The weight... just over 100 lbs. Most likely a bolted construction which is one of the weaknesses of a smoker that size. Most often rust will accumulate around the fastening points and will shorten any smoker's usefulness. Its size will be limited for transportation lying down in a pick-up or strapped on a trailer.

[Way back in the beginning of my bbq trek; started with a backwards and cheaper clone of the Bandera - Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe aka BSKD. It was useful in my learning curve and about mods. However it was only a stepping stone to bigger and better BBQ! Good luck in your adventure.]

Mrdeville 07-19-2013 06:25 AM

I was looking at the same one a few days ago. I found a video on you tube. It will definately
Need some modding.

Mrdeville 07-19-2013 06:30 AM

I figured I might just go with the Oklahoma Joe. (Lowes .. Cheaper in price)
I'm 6'4 and the firebox on the vertical looks extremely low for me.

Smokin' D 07-19-2013 07:13 AM

I have a Good One Smoker, The Rodeo. It is a vertical off-set charcoal cooker. It is fairly large with three 42" x 22" and one 42" x 18" grates. Kinda pricy but I like it. They also make smaller versions.

Here is a pic after unpacking.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...P5050409-1.jpg

Bludawg 07-19-2013 07:50 AM

It's your money you earned it you spend it how you see fit! I looked at one of those just out of curiosity the last time I was in Homo Depot. IMO there are better options for that amount of money. It is very thin Tin , it is drafty( don't seal well) and the fire box is to small for the size of the oven. If it was me and I was on a tight budget and needed more cook space. I'd get a pair of Masterbuilt ECB's and Mod them. You would save enough to fund the first cook and have a Nice supply of good cold Beer to enjoy in the shade and smell the smoke.

BBQNCO 07-19-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2557126)
It's your money you earned it you spend it how you see fit! I looked at one of those just out of curiosity the last time I was in Homo Depot. IMO there are better options for that amount of money. It is very thin Tin , it is drafty( don't seal well) and the fire box is to small for the size of the oven. If it was me and I was on a tight budget and needed more cook space. I'd get a pair of Masterbuilt ECB's and Mod them. You would save enough to fund the first cook and have a Nice supply of good cold Beer to enjoy in the shade and smell the smoke.

Bludawg, the thing is I am looking to get away from gas and go towards wood/charcoal. I figure that this style would be the most forgiving and if I like it, maybe upgrade in a couple years to a better built one

I am only doing this for family/friend get togethers and the occasional office pig-in. That, and this should be my last winter in the northern states, and I'll be looking forward to hot weather for the next 4+ years.

oldbill 07-19-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQNCO (Post 2557042)
So, I've been looking to upgrade from my gasser to a stick burner and I think I found the style I like most. Only problem is most of them have been way out of my price range. I started looking for a bandera with no luck anywhere. I almost went with the Dyna-Glow vertical offset smoker and then I saw this at Home Depot's website http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann...03-S/203703110

Anyone know anything about this style Brinkman is making? I see lots of posts on their horizontal ones, but nothing on the vertical. Any help would be great as I am still somewhat of a newb with smoking. I know that I can do some basic mods to it when I get it, but I don't know anything about welding so that's not a likely avenue for me. Thanks all :grin:

I think that for the price, that would be a good choice! I've had a horizontal for about 18 years and if I had a choice between a horizontal and a vertical I'd go with the vertical for sure! Heat and smoke want to go up and it gets to do that almost immediately after leaving the firebox as apposed to the horizontal design and the vertical designs usually have a little more capacity than horizontals as well. The only concern that I would have is seal on the doors and I did notice in the pictures that were on the depot site that the model that is in use has red silicone caulk around the firebox and cabinet doors. I think that would be a good idea. I found this stuff on Amazon and I think that Depot or Lowes would probably have it as well. This Red Devil stuff is resistant to up to 600 degrees F and I think it would help out a great deal in making your new vertical work good for you!

ButtBurner 07-19-2013 11:09 AM

I think it would be fine for a starter unit

those who have bought it seem to love it

Look at the reviews