The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Butcher recommendation in the Inland Empire??? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129195)

Lance Miller 03-26-2012 06:10 PM

Butcher recommendation in the Inland Empire???

Anyone have a lead on one? T&H in San Marcos is the best I can find, but too far away. We need to buy all the meats for an upcoming competiton and time is running out. Thanks.

Craig Pippin 03-26-2012 07:13 PM

T&H will send it with one of their other customers.
I have done this for other teams. Sorry not in this one.

Lance Miller 03-27-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks, but I'm way too much of a control freak to leave that little detail up to another team. I'm willing to venture to LA or OC...someone has to have a good place around here. Did you see the pplace in Chicago!

JerryA 03-27-2012 08:45 AM

Lance, I'm in the same boat as you! I haven't found a reliable place. Restaurant Depot in Anaheim is where I usually find my briskets and butts. I end up running around everywhere for ribs.
Have you checked out Hottinger Family Meats in Chino?

jketron 03-27-2012 09:15 AM

Tip Top Meats in Carlsbad is awesome, old school butcher.

Craig Pippin 03-27-2012 09:36 AM

You are less than an hour from T&H and won't have the traffic of OC or LA. Absolutley the best meats anywhere. Call Roberto and tell him what you want. If you want top notch meats that have won many, many comps, this is the place.

Lance Miller 03-27-2012 10:33 AM

Jerry, tried Hottigers in Chino. I talked to the owner and he said he has a "strict rule" that you take what ever is on top of the case. Needless to say, he was not very open to anything.

I know T&H is good, but it's not feasible.

I find it hard to believe there is not a great butcher in the OC. Plenty of $$$ there for it to thrive.

Jerry, if I find a place I will let you know.

big matt 03-27-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Miller (Post 1994127)
Jerry, tried Hottigers in Chino. I talked to the owner and he said he has a "strict rule" that you take what ever is on top of the case. Needless to say, he was not very open to anything.

I know T&H is good, but it's not feasible.

I find it hard to believe there is not a great butcher in the OC. Plenty of $$$ there for it to thrive.

Jerry, if I find a place I will let you know.

Lance your best bet is going to be RD there is one in Colton..can I ask why T&H isn't feasible?..if you want top notch quality meat your going to pay for it no way around it unless you have a meat sponsor..what breeds and cuts are you looking for?

meatinc 03-27-2012 10:55 AM

If you want, I can pick up your meat for you at T & H on the way to Wildomar - for a small fee :twisted:

Otherwise your best bet is RD or - gasp - Smart & Final! RD has CAB Brisket - you'll only get choice at S & F. But the Farmer John Butt and ribs at S & F are close to the same quality you'll find anywhere else.

Let the nay-sayers begin the flaming of Aaron!

rooftop bbq 03-27-2012 11:19 AM

Make the drive to t&h can't go wrong there. We drive about 50 min to get there but trust me it's worth it. Plus it actually saves time because you don't have to go to different stores hunting done the best meat. Call Roberto and place your order and he'll have it all ready when you come in

rooftop bbq 03-27-2012 11:22 AM

Plus it's what all the cool kids are doing

cbudka 03-27-2012 11:46 AM

Tender Cuts out of Ridgecrest CA is really good.

JerryA 03-27-2012 12:13 PM

I would love to get meat from T&H, but since I work in Garden Grove and them closing at 5 makes it an impossibility unless I was to take a day off just for that purpose. I don't like the idea of someone else picking it up since they would surely keep the better of the picked up items for themselves (why wouldn't they).

Craig Pippin 03-27-2012 01:16 PM

Jerry,
I have picked up meat from T&H and delivered for 3 other team at 3 different contests. They are packaged in a cool container and no one goes thru and picks them except Roberto. Just tell him what you want. They have big butts with good money muscle, meaty ribs (either spares or they will cut to St. Louis) and packer and Waygu Briskets.
By the way, every time I have picked up meat for someone, they have had at least a top 3 finish in one of the catagories.

JerryA 03-27-2012 02:17 PM

Interesting. I'm going to have to try them in the future for sure.