Competition Rubs and Sauces

smokeyw

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First of all, let me say that I am not trying to start an arguement. However, I would like to say how I feel about something and would like to know how others feel.
I personally can not use someone elses rub or sauce in a competition. Win or lose, I need to know it is all me and my team. I personally feel like this is as big a part of the competition as the cooking is. I know it would be hard to enforce but I believe that teams should have to make their own sauce and rubs. I know many will disagree with me but I would like to hear some opinions on this.

I hear ya and I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree. You can give the same sauces and rubs to a BBQ champion and a complete beginner and I can guarantee you will NOT get the same results. Cooking Que is so much more than just the sauces and rubs. Most don't even use them as made but will often doctor them or mix flavors to get their own desired result. Me? I prefer my own rubs but I can't make sauce to save my life so I use a doctored up commercial sauce.

Just my $0.02.

I agree with you, but have crossed over to using commercial sauce and rubs. I still use my own rub on pork. I use most commercial sauces as an ingredient not a sauce. Our pork sauce has about 12 ingredients in it. Brisket 7. Chicken 5. and Ribs who cares because our ribs suck. It would make it more interesting if everyone did make their own, it would lighten up the playing field a little but it would be impossible to keep bbq comps as big as they are and as fast as they are growing and I thank all the companies that put out great commercial stuff for that.

Do you feel the same way about smokers also?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

You'd have less parity in the sport and fewer people competing as a whole. Not everyone knows how to make a sauce, craft a rub, or build their own pit. Interesting idea? Sure. But it is like talking peace in the Middle East.

Do you feel the same way about smokers also?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Why would I feel this way about smokers?

The reason I feel this way about sauce and rubs is because I feel like that is part of cooking. Making sauces and using spices is taught in every culinary school as a part of cooking.

It doesn't bother me if people don't agree with me. I'm just looking for reasons why they don't agree.

We make all of our own rubs and sauces...but I have seen people who swear by the commercial sauces and rubs for the consistancy.

If you always get your peppers for your sauce from joe bob at the farmers market, and then joe bob's flavor profile changes due to weather, soil problems, you name it so does your scores...

If you find combining 3 commercial sauces works, go for it...that is still creating your own flavor profile...

If you buy rub in 5 pound bags and add 4 tbsp cajun seasoning and some more chili powder for color, you have made it your own...

Some people can BBQ, Some can cook amazing sauce, Some can make a mean rub...If you can do all three well then you are a BBQ God. If you can't then you are like most people and thats okay too...It may be about the competition but it is also about the fun, and too many knit picky rules ruin the fun. If you try and outlaw commercial rubs, sauces, and marinades then what is next. No more commercial pre-cut de-barked logs...you gotta season your own wood? Well I do, but hell, a lot of us don't.

There is a line that you have to stop at before you exclude so many people that this is no longer a fun AND competitive sport.

Just my 2 cents

Neil

I see what you are saying and I do see maybe someday there will be an "Iron Chef of BBQ" comp. With that they might use this as a criteria, but in KCBS comps I do not see this happening.

Good concept, but alot of the store bought rubs are similar in flavor profile. I bet we could take the rub you make and match it with someone elses.(or get very close) At the end of the day you have to be able to cook.

Tyler

The reason I feel this way about sauce and rubs is because I feel like that is part of cooking. Making sauces and using spices is taught in every culinary school as a part of cooking.

Can’t say I know many BBQ’ers that have been to culinary school. Seems like an oxymoron (culinary school and BBQ) to me. just my $0.02

Seems like an oxymoron (culinary school and BBQ)
Don't tell Tuffy, or Shad, or... hey, we've even got a handful that are regulars on our circuit out here. :thumb:

I would have to agree that making one's own rub and sauce is tremendously satisfying. It's not for everybody, but I take great pride when ours come through for us.

I might sing a different tune when I'm standing over a hot kettle before a contest, though.
shiner.gif

Can’t say I know many BBQ’ers that have been to culinary school. Seems like an oxymoron (culinary school and BBQ) to me. just my $0.02

I went Culinary school, didnt learn much about BBQ there. It does give you a nice knowledge of food and technique. We make our own stocks, brines, marinades, etc. There is no better school than the School of hard knocks.

I apologize for not answering to your post. I have tried and tried but never have come up with anything that I had confidence in or thought was better than what I use now. If I do come up with something I may change my tune....maybe I should try one of them sometime. I really have no feelings either way as to whether someone uses a commercial rub or a homemade rub.
The cooking of the meat, I believe is just as large if not larger than the rubs and sauces used. That is why I asked the question about your thoughts on smokers.

Ken

The way I figure it, anything I buy in the store is an ingredient. If I combine it with anything else, it becomes my recipe.

When I make sauce "from scratch", I use ketchup and worcestershire sauce. I don't have a clue as to how to make either one so I use commercial brands. Is my sauce commercial or my recipe?

I do not see a problem with using commercial sauces and rubs. We all know the hardest part off BBQ is cooking the meat to perfection. I make my own rub...it's just not as good as some that I can purchase. Competition BBQ is a sport...and to me sauce and rub is your equipment. My homemade baseball bat would have a hard time against Easton and Rawlings in the major leagues. If you can succeed with your own rubs and sauces, hell, more power to you. But if you don't cook your meat correctly, the sauce and rub don't matter anyway.

You'd have less parity in the sport and fewer people competing as a whole. Not everyone knows how to make a sauce, craft a rub, or build their own pit. Interesting idea? Sure. But it is like talking peace in the Middle East.

+1. I don't have time to master a rub or nail a sauce - I'm really not that good at it. I'm working on times, temps, prep and presentation. But that doesn't make me any less competitor. I enjoy the consistency of someone else's rub and sauce when I'm trying to dial in other variables.

A lot of good points, I appreciate all of the input. Once again, I just wanted to know what people's feelings were on this. Thanks

Logistically, checking everybody's rub and sauce at a comp to ensure they were "homemade" would be impossible. Just establishing the criteria that constitutes "homemade" would be virtually impossible. Identifying when someone didn't follow the criteria would be impossible. If the criteria was that a "maximum" of 50% of your rub could be a commercial rub, how could it be verified it wasn't 99.9% commercial rub with an addition of 0.1% cayenne? How would you determine somebody didn't mix 3 commercial sauces together instead of starting out with tomato sauce as a base and adding individual ingredients to come up with a homemade sauce? What about if I hire a culinary expert to make a rub and sauce just for me...is that homemade or do I have to fabricate the recipes myself? I do make my own sauce and rub and I'll agree you have an interesting and impossible idea.

I was not suggesting that the rules be changed. I know that it would be impossible to enforce such a rule anyway. I only wanted to know how people felt about it. I guess I am a little surprised that more people don't make their own sauce or rub.
Where I live, a lot of people are into whole hog barbecue. Most people take great pride in their sauce and are very secretive when it comes to the recipe. Recipes often get passed on for generations.

Back