The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Butcher's BBQ and Dry Aged Beef (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128209)

motoeric 03-14-2012 01:04 AM

Butcher's BBQ and Dry Aged Beef

Hi,

Would you modify how you use Butcher's injection for your brisket if you are using dry aged beef?

I don't want to kill the judges palette and dry aged beef tastes 'meatier' as it is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Butcher BBQ 03-14-2012 06:22 AM

If you dry aging brisket, my question back to you is how large is the brisket you started with? The reason I asking for is after trimming off the leathery dry outside you prob won't have much meat left. But to ask answer your question, I would look and keeping the strength your used to. You have to remember that the process of dry aging will increase the beef taste and it does that by drying (reducing the amount of moisture) that intensifies the beef flavor. So by adding the moisture back into is kind of counter productive. Please keep us all posted because this would be an interesting test that we would all be wanting to follow.

Wampus 03-14-2012 10:08 AM

Hmmmmm......so I know that dry aging removes water from the meat, and thus concentrates the beef flavor, but wouldn't adding an injection BACK in help even more? I mean you're not just adding straight water back in.

Would more time have to be allowed for the injection to work back into the meat fibers so it wouldn't just be in pockets?

Interesting.....

bover 03-14-2012 10:29 AM

I can't imagine there'd be much of the flat left at all after dry aging and trimming...

southernstyle 03-14-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bover (Post 1980016)
I can't imagine there'd be much of the flat left at all after dry aging and trimming...

+1. With briskets imo wet aging is the way to go

motoeric 03-14-2012 03:52 PM

It was about 15 lbs after it was dry aged. It seems to have plenty of meat on it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Eric

Butcher BBQ 03-14-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoeric (Post 1980445)
It was about 15 lbs after it was dry aged. It seems to have plenty of meat on it.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Eric

Sounds great, yes keep us posted.

Bentley 03-14-2012 06:05 PM

How long did you age? Do you know what the %RH was? Forget the questions if it is propritary information...

motoeric 03-14-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bentley (Post 1980606)
How long did you age? Do you know what the %RH was? Forget the questions if it is propritary information...

It was 15 days and it came that way. Less chance of me screwing it up that way. : )

Eric