So if you are new to this competition thing....

sominus

Found some matches.
Reaction score
...where/how would I go about finding a team that needs an extra hand now and then so I can learn the ropes?

Forgive the obvious newbie question....

-Michael
Seabrook, Tx

Thanks... I had looked there but it was empty... That is, until I realized how to look back a bit...

You could also attend a local competition, and talk to some teams and let them know that you're looking to help. My assumption is that you'll have a lot of teams take you up on your offer. The Comp BBQ Culture is EXTREMELY friendly and welcoming.

We had a few people last weekend do the same thing, and we welcomed them with open arms.

Being as you're from Texas, I'd look thru this prim or posts by Texas teams. Go back a couple of months. It will take a little time. Make a list of posters and pm them. Could I hlp out to learn, could I come out nd visit and observe. Things like that.

Join and get involved with your local BBQ organization. Being in Texas, they are probably all sanctioned by the IBCA, but there may be a more local or regional association. Here in Cali they are mostly KCBS, which I joined and became a judge. I also joined the CBBQA (California BBQ Association) and through them have met a LOT of helpful folks. Also, look for "backyard" comps in your area. Cook one of those by yourself or with a friend to get some experience. We are cooking a backyard in August that features live judging (you get actual feedback from the judges) and also paired up with a mentor that has quite a few walks under his belt. The main thing is get involved and meet people.

We are cooking a backyard in August that features live judging (you get actual feedback from the judges) and also paired up with a mentor that has quite a few walks under his belt. The main thing is get involved and meet people.

On the fence about signing up for 8/10/13 in Ontario.. it sounds like fun. Best of luck Todd!

...where/how would I go about finding a team that needs an extra hand now and then so I can learn the ropes?

Forgive the obvious newbie question....

-Michael
Seabrook, Tx

PM me with an email address, I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Multiple organizations here, multiple other boards, many teams and a cook off in every pasture in all 4 cardinal directions.

Back