The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

Crispy Bacon 02-27-2020 09:18 AM

I just wish MAK would make more videos of their product in action. Several years ago they did that. It was nice seeing what it could do. It’s only gotten better & they should showcase that!

Now. Not to be a jerk but we’ve kind of gotten off topic. It would be nice to get an actual head count as to who is interested. That way we know if it’s feasible for possible buyers & MAK.

Mike Twangzer 02-27-2020 09:26 AM

Dang !!! ALL THIS HYPE ..... WTH .... I'd like to see the $$$ ...thx
p.s. .... hope this isn't a grease fire trap and the pellets don't slide .:-D

SweetHeatBBQnSC 02-27-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276566)
Absolutely! I have a few buddies that are brand ambassadors for Traeger. Traeger pours a lot of resources into their social media influencer program... no arguing with that.

MAK said who needs influencers when they have rwalters out here cleaning up for them!

rwalters 02-27-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC (Post 4276585)
MAK said who needs influencers when they have rwalters out here cleaning up for them!

Just a really happy MAK owner buddy... that’s it :)

Johnny in L.A. 02-27-2020 10:31 AM

I am in on a group buy! Lurker Johnny from Santa Monica, CA here. I appreciate this site and all you Brethren. I've been out of the game because of a backyard remodel, and will be moving from a KBQ wood-fired convection oven smoker and an 18" kettle to a MAK and a nice gasser.

I'd like a 2* with cabinet door, full upper grate (unless 3/4 size would be better for me, I won't often cook for a big crowd), accessory hanger, grill cover, and MAK Mobile. This comes out to some pretty big $$ so any discount would be welcome!

rwalters 02-27-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny in L.A. (Post 4276597)
I am in on a group guy! Lurker Johnny from Santa Monica, CA here. I appreciate this site and all you Brethren. I've been out of the game because of a backyard remodel, and will be moving from a KBQ wood-fired convection oven smoker and an 18" kettle to a MAK and a nice gasser.

I'd like a 2* with cabinet door, full upper grate (unless 3/4 size would be better for me, I won't often cook for a big crowd), accessory hanger, grill cover, and MAK Mobile. This comes out to some pretty big $$ so any discount would be welcome!

Hey buddy! Nice to see you pop in :)

KevinJ 02-27-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny in L.A. (Post 4276597)
I am in on a group buy! Lurker Johnny from Santa Monica, CA here. I appreciate this site and all you Brethren. I've been out of the game because of a backyard remodel, and will be moving from a KBQ wood-fired convection oven smoker and an 18" kettle to a MAK and a nice gasser.

Get the full size upper grate, the bottom grate is actually made up of 2 half grates, if grilling you can use the full size upper as your bottom grate (fits perfectly) and the 2 half grates as an upper grate. I do this quite often when grilling or doing reverse sears. For MAK 1 Star users you need to have the flame zone insert which come with the 2 grates that run side to side instead of front to back.

Baychilla 02-27-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4276631)
Get the full size upper grate, the bottom grate is actually made up of 2 half grates, if grilling you can use the full size upper as your bottom grate (fits perfectly) and the 2 half grates as an upper grate. I do this quite often when grilling or doing reverse sears. For MAK 1 Star users you need to have the flame zone insert which come with the 2 grates that run side to side instead of front to back.

If you have the full size upper grate in place and load both levels to the gills how hard is it to get to the areas at the back of the cooker covered by the upper grate?

Jrogers84 02-27-2020 01:46 PM

do we have discount amounts here?

rwalters 02-27-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4276641)
If you have the full size upper grate in place and load both levels to the gills how hard is it to get to the areas at the back of the cooker covered by the upper grate?

I’ve been doing it for over 4 years and have personally found it to be fairly easy.

rwalters 02-27-2020 02:59 PM

MAK Group Buy

Alrighty... I talked to MAK Grills. They’ve never discounted their grills like this before, but they think it’s pretty cool that this conversation is happening. If you’re interested in purchasing a MAK, give them a call directly and tell them you saw this thread on BBQ Brethren. They’ll be happy to work with you.

https://makgrills.com/

ebijack 02-27-2020 03:55 PM

Thanks for trying!

rwalters 02-27-2020 04:52 PM

Just to make sure my last post was clear, MAK Grills IS offering discounted pricing for this group buy, they are simply asking that you call in and order by phone.

4ever3 02-27-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276566)
Absolutely! I have a few buddies that are brand ambassadors for Traeger. Traeger pours a lot of resources into their social media influencer program... no arguing with that.

Mrs. 4ever3 is a Subaru Ambassador, it’s a pretty sweet gig, if MAK is wanting to expand their market it seems to be the way to do it right now!

(I’ll be calling MAK tomorrow)

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 06:08 PM

Even for a free grill I don't think I'd want to be responsible for posting videos all the time. Gonna call and get a quote though.

I can see why they want phone orders. On the internet everyone says they want one. Reality is much different. I wonder if we'll even get 10 from here to order? I'm not bashing because I'm on the fence too.[emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 06:27 PM

Looks like Caleb is the only one who can help with the bbq-brethren discount. Waiting on him to call me back.

Jrogers84 02-27-2020 06:27 PM

I’ll be giving them a jingle tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pesaventoc 02-27-2020 06:31 PM

bought a Mak 1 star, fire zone discount maybe?

rwalters 02-27-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesaventoc (Post 4276748)
bought a Mak 1 star, fire zone discount maybe?

Are you asking if they’ll give a discount on the Funnel Flame Zone if you were to add one to your 1 Star?

ss4825 02-27-2020 06:46 PM

Anyone get a quote on the MAK 2 Star post it up. I was waiting on the SmokeFire but think it's time to move on.

rwalters 02-27-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss4825 (Post 4276756)
Anyone get a quote on the MAK 2 Star post it up. I was waiting on the SmokeFire but think it's time to move on.

MAK is really wanting to keep this Brethren deal to phone conversations only as this is not something they normally do. Would strongly encourage you to call Caleb at MAK and see what he can offer :)

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 06:57 PM

Just bought a 1 Star. Good deal. Call Caleb and see what he will discount. Well worth your time. Just don't post your prices out of respect to Mak. Can't have some Yahoo getting mad because we got special pricing and they can't. I'm pumped! Damn you rwalters!!!

We all get the same discount. Mak isn't trying to be shady. Very cool guy. Talked for 20 minutes.

rwalters 02-27-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276767)
Just bought a 1 Star. Good deal. Call Caleb and see what he will discount. Well worth your time. Just don't post your prices out of respect to Mak. Can't have some Yahoo getting mad because we got special pricing and they can't. I'm pumped! Damn you rwalters!!!

We all get the same discount. Mak isn't trying to be shady. Very cool guy. Talked for 20 minutes.

Welcome to the MAK family buddy... OR should I say... there went the MAK family? [emoji12]

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276787)
Welcome to the MAK family buddy... OR should I say... there went the MAK family? [emoji12]

All downhill from here! Caleb has no idea what he just did. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Richard_ 02-27-2020 07:43 PM

Damn , I live down the road from their factory , I wonder if my wife would notice a new MAK in the mix of all my other cookers

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_ (Post 4276795)
Damn , I live down the road from their factory , I wonder if my wife would notice a new MAK in the mix of all my other cookers

Only 1 way to find out...

4ever3 02-27-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

NOPE!

She’d have no idea...

DO IT!!!

rwalters 02-27-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Buy it on location and $10 days they’ll sweeten the deal even a bit more. If they can avoid shipping they typically show you a lil extra love [emoji3590]

rwalters 02-27-2020 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276788)
all downhill from here! Caleb has no idea what he just did. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

sent from my sm-g955u using tapatalk

lol!

KevinJ 02-27-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Have a new Gateway Drum sitting in the garage the last 2 days right where my wife gets out of her car, hasn't said a thing about it yet. :shocked:

She knew I was getting another smoker but didn't know what it would be, maybe she'll notice it on Saturday morning when I season it and smoke me a Fatty. :heh:

rwalters 02-27-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJ (Post 4276808)
Have a new Gateway Drum sitting in the garage the last 2 days right where my wife gets out of her car, hasn't said a thing about it yet. :shocked:

She knew I was getting another smoker but didn't know what it would be, maybe she'll notice it on Saturday morning when I season it and smoke me a Fatty. :heh:

You guys are loco... lol.

Huskres 02-27-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Just tell her it’s an oil drum. No biggie.

I’d love a MAK but the grate size for me is kind of an issue for me. Like Saturday I’ll be doing 100 or so hot dogs and links plus 10 pounds of rope sausage for a party. Hard to manage that.

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskres (Post 4276830)

I’d love a MAK but the grate size for me is kind of an issue for me. Like Saturday I’ll be doing 100 or so hot dogs and links plus 10 pounds of rope sausage for a party. Hard to manage that.

That's why you need 52 cookers. I have huge cookers (Shirley) and tiny (Red Box).

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 09:04 PM

On a completely unrelated note...
Anyone care to buy a Copperhead or Pellet Pro? Asking for a friend.

pjtexas1 02-27-2020 09:15 PM

I forgot to ask Mak a question. How do they handle grease in the 1 Star? All I can find is something about a grease drawer but no real details.

tom b 02-27-2020 09:25 PM

Paul before your friend sell those cookers he should test them head to head with the MAK you are getting, looking forward to your thoughts on the nee rig.

rwalters 02-27-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276839)
I forgot to ask Mak a question. How do they handle grease in the 1 Star? All I can find is something about a grease drawer but no real details.

MAK has a stainless internal grease drawer. The chute that the grease drips into also has a removal “wall” that makes for easy cleanup. Not sure if you are aware, but the MAK’s also have a removable firepot making the dumping of ash a 10 second job.

Here’s an exterior pic of the grease drawer:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e9c498cb4b.jpg

rm41400 02-27-2020 11:25 PM

Ya’ll are a very bad influence.

I think I’ll give them a call just to make sure I can’t pass along on this...

I’ve been back and forth between Mak and Yoder. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say either will be very nice.

ssv3 02-27-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

It's all in how you present it to her. :becky:

https://i.imgur.com/37dG8Gah.png

ssv3 02-27-2020 11:43 PM

Yep! Just have enough smokers and they wouldn't notice. It's like us men staring at their shoe or purse collection. We'd have no clue what's new or old.:laugh:

Congrats on the Gateway Kevin. Looking forward.

Quote:

rwalters 02-28-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskres (Post 4276830)

That load of meat would be child’s play for the MAK 2 Star... easy peasy. With all grates in place on the 2 Star, you can fit a TON of low profile meats. You have over 1600 sq” to work with [emoji41]

pjtexas1 02-28-2020 07:46 AM

Only upgrade I chose was wifi. Thought it would be nice to finally try that out. Anything else I might regret not getting? The cover looks like the size they sell everywhere and it's gonna be stored in a garage. Dust is the only worry there. The exterior shelves seem expensive. I'm gonna measure my harbor freight folding shelf to see if it will work. I don't need extra grates. If I need more room I have bigger cookers. I'm not gonna grill in it. Maybe the bottom shelf? How sturdy are the legs without the bracing the bottom shelf provides?

rwalters 02-28-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276938)
Only upgrade I chose was wifi. Thought it would be nice to finally try that out. Anything else I might regret not getting? The cover looks like the size they sell everywhere and it's gonna be stored in a garage. Dust is the only worry there. The exterior shelves seem expensive. I'm gonna measure my harbor freight folding shelf to see if it will work. I don't need extra grates. If I need more room I have bigger cookers. I'm not gonna grill in it. Maybe the bottom shelf? How sturdy are the legs without the bracing the bottom shelf provides?

This was my first MAK... a first gen 1 Star:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f2311415e0.jpg

I had most accessories. My most used were the full upper grate and the side shelf. If you’re never going to do a larger cook then perhaps you’ll be fine without the upper grate. As far as the side shelf, it’s obviously useful for setting stuff on, but it also balances the cooker out aesthetically AND seems to give covers (whether MAK or 3rd party) a better fit. As far as the bottom shelf, I didn’t use it, but I did like having it... lol. The 1 Star is stable with or without it, but of course a bottom shelf always adds a bit more rigidity :)

RemoGaggi 02-28-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276944)
This was my first MAK... a first gen 1 Star:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f2311415e0.jpg

I had most accessories. My most used were the full upper grate and the side shelf. If you’re never going to do a larger cook then perhaps you’ll be fine without the upper grate. As far as the side shelf, it’s obviously useful for setting stuff on, but it also balances the cooker out aesthetically AND seems to give covers (whether MAK or 3rd party) a better fit. As far as the bottom shelf, I didn’t use it, but I did like having it... lol. The 1 Star is stable with or without it, but of course a bottom shelf always adds a bit more rigidity :)

Wow. She's a beauty!

rwalters 02-28-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RemoGaggi (Post 4276945)
Wow. She's a beauty!

She sure was! I was kinda sad the day I watched her leave. Fortunately she took off w/ a dude that was pretty cool :)

ebijack 02-28-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

I'm not gonna grill in it.

Like you I would not really use it for grilling. I wanted to be able to smoke. From sausage, jerky, fish and everything else. But I want another smoker that is able to smoke at 150*-170*. When required. I am able to do that on my smokers now. But sure would be easier with a pellet smoker.
Mak's site say's 200* is the lowest set temp. Reason I did not call this morning.
Not sure about their smoker box. The site needs updating. Some of the tabs do not link to actual info.
Again I have no actual experience with pellets. Only what I know from Ninja Steve and reading here.

tom b 02-28-2020 08:35 AM

On the smoke setting mine runs about 180 Tom

rwalters 02-28-2020 08:41 AM

Yep, it should bounce between 170-190° on Smoke. Of course the 2 Star has the cold smoke box which will provide you with significantly cooler temps than that.

KevinJ 02-28-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

I have the bottom shelf, full upper grate and Flame Zone, even though I really don't do much grilling on the MAK, the FZ helps the the grill come up to temp quicker and is more efficient using less pellets, it literally funnels the heat from the fire pot into the cook chamber. If you want to add something later the price for accessories includes free shipping.

As far as the legs, they're plenty sturdy the bottom shelf actually just lays on inserts, its not bolted or screwed in and it's a heavy duty shelf. There is no wobble or flex at all in the legs, after I put it together I had to drag it around the side yard to the back patio, the wheels don't like grass so when I say drag that's what I mean, they roll nice and smooth on the patio though.

Baychilla 02-28-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4276969)
Yep, it should bounce between 170-190° on Smoke. Of course the 2 Star has the cold smoke box which will provide you with significantly cooler temps than that.

Has anyone measured the temps in the cold smoke box when the grill is set to smoke?