The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   MAK Group Buy (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279141)

ssv3 03-10-2020 04:46 PM

Welp,

I'm gonna hold off boys. Just doesn't make sense when I have my YS640. I plan on bringing the Yoder home from the cabin since it doesn't get much use up there like when I first bought it. Sometimes I can't go up for over 2 months.

I plan and buying the Yoder ACS wifi hardware and upgrading it for $400+. I'll use it way more when I bring it home.

4ever3 03-10-2020 04:56 PM

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

rwalters 03-10-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4281912)
Welp,



I'm gonna hold off boys. Just doesn't make sense when I have my YS640. I plan on bringing the Yoder home from the cabin since it doesn't get much use up there like when I first bought it. Sometimes I can't go up for over 2 months.



I plan and buying the Yoder ACS wifi hardware and upgrading it for $400+. I'll use it way more when I bring it home.



Although I wouldíve loved to see you join the MAK family, canít argue with your thinking... makes perfect sense.

Josh@MAK 03-10-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281786)
Itís a one man job til you get to moving the cook chamber to the cart. I have seen guys do that part solo... but Iíll be the first to admit that I ainít man enough for it. Not sure of an easy way to connect the two without a helping hand. Perhaps a neighbor with a slab of ribs as payment?

Seconded. Bribe a neighbor to help you transfer the body onto the base. With two people it should take literally less than a minute. That part really should not ever be attempted solo. It's a very heavy body and tolerances are very tight.

Eads Ranch 03-10-2020 05:51 PM

1 Star ordered.

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eads Ranch (Post 4281938)
1 Star ordered.

Welcome to our Mak family!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-10-2020 06:04 PM

MAK Group Buy
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eads Ranch (Post 4281938)
1 Star ordered.



And another Brethren joins the MAK family! Welcome brutha :-)

What accessories did you go with?

dpends 03-10-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4281779)
Anyone have advice for how to put a Mak together solo? I live hell and gone from friends/coworkers.

I actually did this yesterday, and wouldn't say I'm a super-strong guy or anything. The way I did it was to rotate the grill body back on top of the box/pallet (with cushioning). I then attached the cart horizontally and levered it up, which was actually fairly easy (make sure you lock the casters first). Toughest part was reaching around some weird angles to tighten the nuts.

Also, make sure you take everything you can out of the grill before doing this - saves a bunch of weight.

I wish I could take credit for thinking of this myself, but its actually how the Smokefire was assembled.

rwalters 03-10-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpends (Post 4281952)
I actually did this yesterday, and wouldn't say I'm a super-strong guy or anything. The way I did it was to rotate the grill body back on top of the box/pallet (with cushioning). I then attached the cart horizontally and levered it up, which was actually fairly easy (make sure you lock the casters first). Toughest part was reaching around some weird angles to tighten the nuts.



Also, make sure you take everything you can out of the grill before doing this - saves a bunch of weight.



I wish I could take credit for thinking of this myself, but its actually how the Smokefire was assembled.



You da man! How does your back feel today? Mine hurts just thinking about itÖ lol.

Sooner21 03-10-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssv3 (Post 4281912)
Welp,



I'm gonna hold off boys. Just doesn't make sense when I have my YS640. I plan on bringing the Yoder home from the cabin since it doesn't get much use up there like when I first bought it. Sometimes I can't go up for over 2 months.



I plan and buying the Yoder ACS wifi hardware and upgrading it for $400+. I'll use it way more when I bring it home.



Iím selfishly disappointed. Your logic is sound, but your cooks are inspiring. For the love of the Brethren I think you should reconsider - you have a couple more days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-10-2020 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sooner21 (Post 4281963)
Iím selfishly disappointed. Your logic is sound, but your cooks are inspiring. For the love of the Brethren I think you should reconsider - you have a couple more days.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



You know what, you are absolutely correct! I would actually have to question Sakoís love and loyalty to the Brethren should this decision stick :(

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 06:59 PM

Now that's some serious peer pressure! I'll still be your friend regardless Sako.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 07:01 PM

https://youtu.be/DfIcZtjAch8

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-10-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4281977)
Now that's some serious peer pressure! I'll still be your friend regardless Sako.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



No pressure whatsoever... just a gentle nudge... lol. Yes, we can still be friends no matter what he decides. I would hate to lose my chance of ever getting a Sako dinner invite :)

Baychilla 03-10-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpends (Post 4281952)
I actually did this yesterday, and wouldn't say I'm a super-strong guy or anything. The way I did it was to rotate the grill body back on top of the box/pallet (with cushioning). I then attached the cart horizontally and levered it up, which was actually fairly easy (make sure you lock the casters first). Toughest part was reaching around some weird angles to tighten the nuts.

Also, make sure you take everything you can out of the grill before doing this - saves a bunch of weight.

I wish I could take credit for thinking of this myself, but its actually how the Smokefire was assembled.

That's actually what I was going to post. I used the pallet + the cardboard on top to rest the Mak on its back and then did a horizontal install.

Funny thing, the only other item left in the delivery truck was a Smokefire. The driver wouldn't tell me if it was a return or new delivery.

KevinJ 03-10-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eads Ranch (Post 4281938)
1 Star ordered.

Congrats Randy, love my 1 Star been cooking on it going on 2yrs now.

GrantAshton 03-10-2020 07:46 PM

My Two Star arrived this afternoon. It’s assembled but I didn’t have time to cook on it tonight.

I have several cooks planned with favorites that I have down pat on my Weber kettle and WSM. Looking forward to dialing in these recipes on my MAK. I’ll start a new thread to cover those initial cooks.

I’m very impressed with the build quality. No torquing of pieces was needed to get screws into holes. Every single one was lined up. My wife even commented on the overall quality.

SMetroHawkeye 03-10-2020 07:55 PM

Chalk up another one... just hung up with Caleb (great guy btw) and I’ve got a Two Star shipping out tomorrow, with Wi-Fi, cover, cabinet door and the full upper grate. Many thanks to all the Brethren for your comments, counsel and questions. You’re a heck of a brand ambassador, rwalters!

Excited to add another thoroughbred to the corral!

alias_rice 03-10-2020 08:32 PM

For those of you with a 2019 version, do you typically move the thermocouple. So far I have gone the easy route and kept it in the corner, but I also haven't cooked on the upper shelf yet. Wondering how much effect it actually has.

WBDubya 03-10-2020 08:48 PM

The only time I’ve moved it is to occasionally clean it with steel wool. Lol.

rwalters 03-10-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantAshton (Post 4282002)
My Two Star arrived this afternoon. Itís assembled but I didnít have time to cook on it tonight.

I have several cooks planned with favorites that I have down pat on my Weber kettle and WSM. Looking forward to dialing in these recipes on my MAK. Iíll start a new thread to cover those initial cooks.

Iím very impressed with the build quality. No torquing of pieces was needed to get screws into holes. Every single one was lined up. My wife even commented on the overall quality.



Oh Happy Day!!!!! Canít wait to see and hear more :)

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WBDubya (Post 4282030)
The only time Iíve moved it is to occasionally clean it with steel wool. Lol.

Good to know. I've wondered but I assumed Mak had it dialed in where it hangs so I didn't ask.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-10-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMetroHawkeye (Post 4282009)
Chalk up another one... just hung up with Caleb (great guy btw) and Iíve got a Two Star shipping out tomorrow, with Wi-Fi, cover, cabinet door and the full upper grate. Many thanks to all the Brethren for your comments, counsel and questions. Youíre a heck of a brand ambassador, rwalters!

Excited to add another thoroughbred to the corral!


Fantastic setup and welcome to the MAK family!!!

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 09:06 PM

Did a cook with the pellets Mak sent. It was only 4 hours but the amount of ash was minimal. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a509dd3b8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rwalters 03-10-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alias_rice (Post 4282021)
For those of you with a 2019 version, do you typically move the thermocouple. So far I have gone the easy route and kept it in the corner, but I also haven't cooked on the upper shelf yet. Wondering how much effect it actually has.



It makes a difference. The upper grate is typically about 25ishį different than the main grate. Itís psychics... lol. I am not super picky so I tend to adjust the Pellet Boss accordingly and leave the thermocouple on its perch. That said, I have tested it several times by moving to the upper grate and even to the middle of the main grate. It brings temps very much in line with what you have the Pellet Boss set to. The reason MAK designed the roaming probe was to meet the needs of the super picky. Seriously! It works as advertised :)

Me, I love how easy it is to remove and clean.

rwalters 03-10-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4282042)
Did a cook with the pellets Mak sent. It was only 4 hours but the amount of ash was minimal. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a509dd3b8a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



Thatís nothing! But you did dump the firepot before snapping that pic, yeah? Itís way to clean.

rwalters 03-10-2020 09:17 PM

One of the things that I have come to LOVE about the MAK is how it functions as a grill. You will not see flames hitting your food, but if you have the Funnel Flame Zone you will have incredibly intense semi-direct radiant heat. I have had lots of cookers, some being pretty nice. I am not saying that other cookers cannot turn out a phenomenal product... but I do find the moisture retention in meats to be better coming from the MAK than any other grill I have ever had. Grilled up some Carne Asada tonight for burrito bowls. The meat was dripping wet as it came off the MAK. The MAK is my weeknight stress reducer and it never gets old :)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a5360058f6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0d02de3930.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...93e14ff8fc.jpg

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4282046)
Thatís nothing! But you did dump the firepot before snapping that pic, yeah? Itís way to clean.

Dumped and scraped the fire pot. Didn't even sweep the ash. Maybe next cook.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rm41400 03-10-2020 09:57 PM

Wanted to let you guys know my experience on the WIFI setup and install.

I have about average technical ability with computers and networks.

1. Installation- took about 15 minutes
2. Grill software Setup- 15-20 minutes (only because I entered a few wrong characters on SSID).
3. Registration @ Mak mobile- 2 minutes

I am up and running on wifi in about 30-40 minutes and it’s cruising right along. I have the smoker about 200’ away from the router running through a 12” concrete filled wall.

My network has an Orbi pro with orbi pro satellite extender about 60’ away through normal 6” stud walls.

The location has got to be on the tricky side of things.

The Mak setup and installation instructions seem more complicated than it actually is.

So far I can absolutely recommend the WIFI/Mobile. Seems solid to me. Very excited to have it and glad I didn’t let some of the early experiences with it sway me from getting it.

tom b 03-10-2020 10:08 PM

Congrats to the new owners! We love ours

is there a tally to how many have been purchased since this thread started?

rwalters 03-10-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm41400 (Post 4282068)
Wanted to let you guys know my experience on the WIFI setup and install.

I have about average technical ability with computers and networks.

1. Installation- took about 15 minutes
2. Grill software Setup- 15-20 minutes (only because I entered a few wrong characters on SSID).
3. Registration @ Mak mobile- 2 minutes

I am up and running on wifi in about 30-40 minutes and itís cruising right along. I have the smoker about 200í away from the router running through a 12Ē concrete filled wall.

My network has an Orbi pro with orbi pro satellite extender about 60í away through normal 6Ē stud walls.

The location has got to be on the tricky side of things.

The Mak setup and installation instructions seem more complicated than it actually is.

So far I can absolutely recommend the WIFI/Mobile. Seems solid to me. Very excited to have it and glad I didnít let some of the early experiences with it sway me from getting it.



Glad it went smoothly! MAK really does have their WiFi module dialed in nicely.

rwalters 03-10-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom b (Post 4282070)
Congrats to the new owners! We love ours

is there a tally to how many have been purchased since this thread started?



Not sure where it stands as of right now... but Iíll be sure to ask Caleb soon. Look forward to hearing the current #. This group buy has been a lot of fun to watch and participate in :)

DBBQ 03-10-2020 10:30 PM

I like mine too! It gets a lot of use. Thanks Robb!

pjtexas1 03-10-2020 10:45 PM

I'm gonna guess at least 20 units were sold to Brethren.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eads Ranch 03-11-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4281950)
And another Brethren joins the MAK family! Welcome brutha :-)

What accessories did you go with?

Just the basic unit with the full size upper rack. Will use mostly for smoking abd use the searing burner on my gasser for the final sear.

rwalters 03-11-2020 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eads Ranch (Post 4282091)
Just the basic unit with the full size upper rack. Will use mostly for smoking abd use the searing burner on my gasser for the final sear.



Nice! Sounds like a fine tag-team :)

Johnny in L.A. 03-11-2020 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eads Ranch (Post 4282091)
Just the basic unit with the full size upper rack. Will use mostly for smoking abd use the searing burner on my gasser for the final sear.

My approach as well! Just waiting for the BBQ island to be finished. In the meantime, everything's still in their packing crates. :sad:

4ever3 03-11-2020 04:35 AM

The crew demanded I buy some real bologna yesterday...

https://i.postimg.cc/3wSbHrGd/38843-...57-F48-D59.jpg

4ever3 03-11-2020 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alias_rice (Post 4282021)
For those of you with a 2019 version, do you typically move the thermocouple. So far I have gone the easy route and kept it in the corner, but I also haven't cooked on the upper shelf yet. Wondering how much effect it actually has.

Iíve got a couple of biscuit tests that Iím goin to do to see if moving it around really makes a difference. Stay tuned...

rwalters 03-11-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ever3 (Post 4282099)
The crew demanded I buy some real bologna yesterday...



https://i.postimg.cc/3wSbHrGd/38843-...57-F48-D59.jpg


Demanding people are typically frowned upon! Not the case here as these types of demands are music to the Brethrenís ears. Tuned in :)

rwalters 03-11-2020 08:08 AM

MAK Group Buy
 
Two days left til the Brethren group buy deal comes to a close. Anyone else ready to join the MAK family?

SMetroHawkeye 03-11-2020 08:55 AM

Now that looks delicious!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 4282052)
One of the things that I have come to LOVE about the MAK is how it functions as a grill. You will not see flames hitting your food, but if you have the Funnel Flame Zone you will have incredibly intense semi-direct radiant heat. I have had lots of cookers, some being pretty nice. I am not saying that other cookers cannot turn out a phenomenal product... but I do find the moisture retention in meats to be better coming from the MAK than any other grill I have ever had. Grilled up some Carne Asada tonight for burrito bowls. The meat was dripping wet as it came off the MAK. The MAK is my weeknight stress reducer and it never gets old :)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a5360058f6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0d02de3930.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...93e14ff8fc.jpg

:clap2: Wow... that looks amazing and maybe inaugural cook worthy! Care to share the recipe and process?

Baychilla 03-11-2020 09:05 AM

Aside from sear marks is there a reason to remove the flame zone covers? Do they need to be removed to reach a certain temp?

rwalters 03-11-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMetroHawkeye (Post 4282152)
:clap2: Wow... that looks amazing and maybe inaugural cook worthy! Care to share the recipe and process?


Thank you kind sir! As far as the recipe, I am spoiled to have a meat wholesaler right next to my work that sells to the public as well. This is grass fed flap steak that is pre-marinaded. Itís sooooo good. As far as cooking method, itís hot n fast. Only takes about 2-3 mins per side.

rwalters 03-11-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4282154)
Aside from sear marks is there a reason to remove the flame zone covers? Do they need to be removed to reach a certain temp?


They do not need to be removed to hit certain temps. The reason for their removal is to allow the intense heat to blast through the 88 conic vent holes. By removing the covers, youíll experience a much more intense and even heat when grilling. Leaving the covers on during grilling works just fine, but the heat will be more intense around the perimeter of the Flame Zone pan. Really depends on what you are wanting to accomplish. I leave the covers on for all smoking/roasting/baking... and covers off for all grilling.

Hereís a fun and informative Flame Zone blog article:

https://makgrills.com/products/true-...the-flamezone/

YSR 03-11-2020 11:48 AM

Count me in
 
Pulled the trigger just now... 2 Star, Wifi, Door, Xtra Rack, 3/4 Rack, Cover. Told my wife reminding her she said "go ahead" last week. Apparently her memory is not so good. Looks like I may have "traded" a new MAK for a bathroom renovation...:shock:
Thanks Crispy, rwalters, pjtexas, Kevin J and all who have contributed to my continuing delinquency. :thumb:

Gore 03-11-2020 11:55 AM

Dang, I'll have to see what kind of discount Caleb can give me on a bathroom innovation. Does anyone know if he installs hardwood floors?

rwalters 03-11-2020 12:01 PM

UPDATE!!! Just spoke with MAK Grills and we are currently sitting at 19 grills sold through this Brethren group buy deal. Lots of calls/interest coming in and it seems that we are going to move past 20 any minute now. I was just able to broker a new incentive (lol) to the already awesome group buy deal MAK has provided to all who have joined the family this past week.

So here it is...

Knowing that the group buy deal comes to an end tomorrow (3/12) at 5pm (PST)... if we can hit 25 grills sold, everyone who bought through this deal will be given a $75 store credit. If we can hit 30 grills sold, everyone who bought through this deal will be given a $100 store credit.

There currently seems to be plenty of interest to make these goals very realistic. Soooooo, now is the time if you are on the fence. Just a handful more and the deal gets even sweeter :)

rwalters 03-11-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YSR (Post 4282183)
Pulled the trigger just now... 2 Star, Wifi, Door, Xtra Rack, 3/4 Rack, Cover. Told my wife reminding her she said "go ahead" last week. Apparently her memory is not so good. Looks like I may have "traded" a new MAK for a bathroom renovation...:shock:

Thanks Crispy, rwalters, pjtexas, Kevin J and all who have contributed to my continuing delinquency. :thumb:



Congrats and WELCOME to the MAK family brother!

YSR 03-11-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 4282185)
Dang, I'll have to see what kind of discount Caleb can give me on a bathroom innovation. Does anyone know if he installs hardwood floors?

:laugh::laugh:

Not sure about his hardwood skills, but my bathroom indignation is to be overcome by my MAK jubilation


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.